StarCraft II....hell, it's about time

You can't play either SP or MP without logging onto Battle.net each time you start up the game. I think that answers your question.

Plus, piracy of games is bad, mkay? This isn't like pirating music where they have concert tickets and other avenues to fund their operations (not that I'm condoning music piracy either). But with game makers, sales of games are their ONLY source of R&D money. Sales from SC2 will fund the creation of the next great Blizzard game. Pirating SC2 is a very selfish thing. You'll undoubtedly play WC4 or whatever the next great Blizzard game is, but if you pirate, you've having everybody but you fund the development of that game.

images

would like a word.

images

would like a word.

Expansion packs ARE "games," not something separate from a game, IMO. It's not like Blizzard can go on tour like the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Lady Gaga can. Games and their expansion packs and their DLC, etc...that's all a software company has. So if you steal that, you're stealing from their R&D fund.

You can't play either SP or MP without logging onto Battle.net each time you start up the game. I think that answers your question.

Plus, piracy of games is bad, mkay? This isn't like pirating music where they have concert tickets and other avenues to fund their operations (not that I'm condoning music piracy either). But with game makers, sales of games are their ONLY source of R&D money. Sales from SC2 will fund the creation of the next great Blizzard game. Pirating SC2 is a very selfish thing. You'll undoubtedly play WC4 or whatever the next great Blizzard game is, but if you pirate, you've having everybody but you fund the development of that game.

Obviously, I'd eventually buy it (I really get bored of single player), i was going to do that for an initial evaluation...I don't have any access to a trial account and don't know anyone around me that has it.

Expansion packs ARE "games," not something separate from a game, IMO. It's not like Blizzard can go on tour like the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Lady Gaga can. Games and their expansion packs and their DLC, etc...that's all a software company has. So if you steal that, you're stealing from their R&D fund.

he's talking about subscription costs, buddy.

$12/month x 10 million.

Obviously, I'd eventually buy it (I really get bored of single player), i was going to do that for an initial evaluation...I don't have any access to a trial account and don't know anyone around me that has it.

All of my friends have it, so I don't need my trial codes. PM me and I'll see if I can get you a trial account.

Blizzard's equivalent of going on tour is whipping up a new mount and selling it for $20 a pop.

Blizzard's equivalent of going on tour is whipping up a new mount and selling it for $20 a pop.

And that only applies for MMOs, not RTSs. If people quit paying for Blizzard's RTS games and Blizzard's main source of revenue becomes MMO subscription fees and extras, they're going to quit making RTSs altogether, or at least de-emphasize them.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Thankfully Blizzard is smart enough to only sell true vanity items that give you zero advantage ingame.

If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Thankfully Blizzard is smart enough to only sell true vanity items that give you zero advantage ingame.

agreed, while i got the in-game Thor pet with my special editon. it's only use is for calling it out and have it follow me round. it doesn't actually do anything other than be for show.

played a great 2v2 game earlier with me and a mate as Protoss and the other 2 players as terran. despite a setback where they hit my base and cost me time and resources to rebuild. they never followed up with the killing blow giving both of us time to rebuild and hit back. i've found upgraded Void Rays are especially deadly given the chance to get into a enemy base.

And I really appreciate that. It's frustrating enough when additional gear and items in Mass Effect II (that have actual utility and aren't just for looks) cost extra; in a multiplayer game, where it'd give one player an advantage over the other, it'd be really offensive.

I understand that, which is why I never bought such things. My point was that while music artists can go on a tour to generate income, Blizzard can create vanity items for their games, WoW specifically, to do the same.

If I had a computer that could really handle the game, I'd probably buy it despite being painfully terrible at RTS.

The story ended exactly how I expected it.

Damn it.

Anyways, today will be my first PROPER foray into multiplayer. I played a few games with a friend yesterday and found the strats a bit too cheap. Let's see what happens today

If people quit paying for Blizzard's RTS games and Blizzard's main source of revenue becomes MMO subscription fees and extras, they're going to quit making RTSs altogether, or at least de-emphasize them.

Erm...they have already. The last RTS Blizzard made was Warcraft 3 - Reign of Chaos and that was in what- 2004?

Just out of curiosity, What kind of systems are you guys running this on? How is the performance? I'm just curious as to how well my computer will play it. (my specs in signature.)

Last edited: