The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I kind of like old Vespas but they are a pain to keep running. A buddy of mine had three when I was an undergrad, all so he could keep at least one on the road at any given time.

I don't want one of those monster touring scooters, just something to nip around town. 250cc is about max for my needs.

PJ-AM421A_pjSCO_20080520210828.jpg

Ciao?

the CB350 is a cool little bike, but I still want a scooter. I don't know why, I have no rational explanation for this, I just like certain scooters.

elite150.jpg

Honda Elite?

I'd have to see one in person again. The Helix just looks better to me.

Not that it matters, I can't afford one anyway.

Crap.

I just went down to the garage to change my motor oil and reassemble my bodywork. Found a puddle of oil under the right fork tube, now I need to find a front triple stand to borrow so I can tear down the front end and get my forks rebuilt.

EDIT: $170 to get the seals done, and that's if I take the front end apart myself (and that depends on finding a stand to borrow). No way I can afford that this month.

Last edited:
Damn!

I just bought this:

08042010616.jpg

It's a 1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk with less than 1500 original miles. Apparently some kid bought it, got in trouble, so his dad took it away, and it has sat since 2003. I haven't pulled the plastics off, they have disintegrated. People have described the Texas sun as a physical force, if this isn't evidence to support that, nothing is. Every plastic or rubber part is pretty much trash, but all of the hard parts should be usable. Total cost: $480 :D

I don't have a proof pic, but that is quite clearly Spectre's Jaaaaaaag behind it.

Sweet find! Now make it into this.:p
http://img62.imageshack.**/img62/1188/mclipiec006.jpg

Just order a tail section, and front fork from a euro nighthawk (aka sevenfifty) That way you can easily attach hard cases and convert to dual front brake discs.

He'd need to get the matching sidecovers, too. They're different, as are the rear shocks.

Edit: eBay shows that just the Euro sidecovers and the tail plastic would cost more than the bike. Adding the rear shocks would cost more than the bike is worth at retail.

Last edited:
Damn, well I'd still recommend getting one of those mini-fairings pictured on the bike. But, judging on how well you guys fix up old Hondas, I'm pretty sure whatever you guy's do to it will be good!:D

Yeah, I am thinking about what sort of windshield I might want, it really depends on how it is without anything on the highway since this is going to be my commuter to school as soon as it's ready and the 500 is sold.

I like everything about the VF500F, except for one critical thing, its size. I need to either shrink about 8" or it just doesn't work. Since I don't see myself becoming shorter, it will have to go away. Luckily, it should get enough to fund the restoration of both my VFR and the Nighthawk.

The Catalina Island Gran Prix is returning for 2010!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/05/18/catalina-island-grand-prix-returns-in-2010/

Catalina Island Grand Prix Returns in 2010
by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 5/18/2010

in Motorcycle Racing, Vintage Motorcycles

Now here's a great return to the old days of motorcycle racing, the Catalina Island Grand Prix is coming back, scheduled races will take place on December 4th and 5th, topped off with a 100 mile Pro Race on December 5th, though all of the activities should run over a period of 4 or 5 days. The last time the race was run was in 1958, the image shows a map of the old race course. Catalina Island is located off the coast of southern California

The Avalon City Council Tuesday, May 4 unanimously approved a request by AMA District 37 Motorcycle Club to host a Catalina Island Grand Prix. The on road and off road event should be a great boost to tourism at a time when business is usually slow.

From the Catalina Islander:

Throughout the 1950s, the Catalina Grand Prix was one of the premier motorcycle races in the United States. Every year, boats loaded with motorcycles crossed the channel from the mainland. The races usually consisted of more than 206 bikers competing in a mad scramble over a 10-mile course that ran through city streets and up into the hills above Avalon, through the golf course and then back into the city streets.

"This is going to be a family orientated event," he said. "There will be plenty of spectator access to races... we are bringing back a piece of Catalina's history and the nostalgia of the Island.?

However, (Avalon Mayor) Kennedy said the event could have a short shelf life on Catalina. "This is a one time permit," he said. "The success or failure of this event is going to dictate whether anything like this happens again on Catalina."

Details are still very limited, a website with complete information is expected to be up next month.

Thanks for the great tip from Bryan!

[Embedded Videos in Source]

And here's the official website: http://www.thecatalinagrandprix.com/

This is going to be sooooo awesome! :D

*fumbles with remote*

Must. Set. DVR!

Screw the DVR, I'm booking the rooms!

Wait, what?

*looks at checking account*

uhhh... as much as I want to go, I'm not sure I can afford the drive or a flight.

Well, if the rooms are free ;) and jetblue has their discounted flights again ... /threadjack

In other news, no more job at the track means a lot more riding on the weekends! If only the weather would cooperate more (yesterday, it was 90 degrees and hailing. Yes, hailing. Frickin' weird Utah weather :?)

Last edited:
And my bike is broken - hopefully to be fixed by next week