Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Wouldn't know, never bothered to find out as I think you can probably guess which IRS I'd be using in such a scenario...

You can buy a C4 for a pack of cigarets. For reference I looked into the price for fitting a custom Jag rear end to my MG, $5k.

The Jag rear end is more modular than the C4 in general, and is easier to widen than it is to narrow, plus it comes in appropriate widths for larger cars already.

I already have the entire drive-line/rear suspension out of a C5.

I don't think I am going to have width issues. The Vette has a 73.6" width, and the Roadmaster has a 78.1" width(that is overall width). I haven't measured it yet, but I think the stock Roadmaster rear end is pretty close to the same as the Vette's. And the wheel offset will take care of the difference.

I guess my real question would be: how much am I going to have to cut up the trunk? I still want the utility of the Roadmaster(well most of it), so I don't want to lose half of the trunk. Although, I am still considering turning it into a shorty wagon(think sedan delivery). I think the biggest problem will be the fuel tank, but I already have an idea about that. And is the torque tube long enough, or will I have to get something custom built or lengthened.

The real problem is still space though. I have a garage, but it is small and it gets really hot/cold, depending on the time of the year. I can either borrow or rent everything I don't have(welder, plasma cutter I think would be all the extra tools). Ah well, what we go through to get 400 hp.

Hm... I wouldn't have picked a C5 rear-mount transaxle for that thing, it's going to be a huge pain in the arse to clearance that under the car. You're probably looking at not only losing part of the trunk but possibly some of the rear seat area too. I mean, the transmission part of the transaxle is a not insignificant further length.

C5Drivetrain.jpg

powertrain-brace.jpg

You're looking at needing to notch the frame at the very least, I'd think.

Last edited:
Well I got all the parts as part of a package and I can trade off parts I don't end up using. I would really like to go IRS, but I still need the Roadmaster to be useful utilitarian, so I may not.

If it becomes more of a hassle than it is worth, I will simply trade off the trans, rear suspension for a computer and trans from an F body.

Hmm, that brings up another potential problem though. If I get the trans from an F body, how do I get a computer the will work with an LS6 and that trans? Or did they put automatics in the Vette with the LS6?

Or maybe I will just use the whole deal in a kit car. I just got the stuff and I am still dreaming at this point.

Looks like the head gasket is sweating oil a bit; after I cleaned the engine bay a month ago, the block now has oil on it. Not really a biggie, as judging by the state of the engine bay before the cleaning it has been doing it for quite a while - and since the dipstick's been telling me it has been losing oil a bit in the 9000km change interval, it's good to know that's where it's coming from. No blue smoke as far as I know.

I'm just annoyed at having to consider a gasket change service, which would handily incorporate new belts and thermostats and water pump and what not.. Add this to the bearings&bushings I've ordered, and that I want to get new (sportier) shocks and springs at the same time, and the car's looking at a sizeable investment this fall. And I want the driver's side front corner's paint issues and dings fixed.

Now, where are those MX-3 1800 V6:s since I'm at it...

Looks like the head gasket is sweating oil a bit; after I cleaned the engine bay a month ago, the block now has oil on it. Not really a biggie, as judging by the state of the engine bay before the cleaning it has been doing it for quite a while - and since the dipstick's been telling me it has been losing oil a bit in the 9000km change interval, it's good to know that's where it's coming from. No blue smoke as far as I know.

I'm just annoyed at having to consider a gasket change service, which would handily incorporate new belts and thermostats and water pump and what not.. Add this to the bearings&bushings I've ordered, and that I want to get new (sportier) shocks and springs at the same time, and the car's looking at a sizeable investment this fall. And I want the driver's side front corner's paint issues and dings fixed.

Now, where are those MX-3 1800 V6:s since I'm at it...

Is you car a "low emissions" vehicle? Anyway, are you sure it's not the camcover gasket? It's a more common place for oil weepage, and far quicker and easier to fix :)

Well I got all the parts as part of a package and I can trade off parts I don't end up using. I would really like to go IRS, but I still need the Roadmaster to be useful utilitarian, so I may not.

If it becomes more of a hassle than it is worth, I will simply trade off the trans, rear suspension for a computer and trans from an F body.

Hmm, that brings up another potential problem though. If I get the trans from an F body, how do I get a computer the will work with an LS6 and that trans? Or did they put automatics in the Vette with the LS6?

Or maybe I will just use the whole deal in a kit car. I just got the stuff and I am still dreaming at this point.

Yeah, they put the 6L80E automatic behind the LS6 in the Corvettes. Fortunately, you can get a conventional 6L80E transmission for that engine now instead of having to deal with the transaxle version. Look for a GM truck as a donor vehicle for that. If you want a front-mount manual for that engine, look for a CTS-V as a donor.

Last edited:
My apologies in advance for the rant but I'm getting frustrated.

Why do people selling cars have to be so incredibly retarded?

Here is the back story. I'm moving back to Vancouver in the coming months as I'm going back to school for Auto body/Paint. In the past I've made a hobby of buying, fixing and reselling cars, usually for a decent profit.

So I figured I'd take this one step further and pick up a car in a worse state than usual that I can get up and running and mechanically decent before school starts in February; and then over the course of the school year, use my newly learned skills and bring back the body and paintwork to a saleable condition.

Nothing in the classifieds really caught my eye, so I posted a few wanted ads. My ads specified the type of car, condition and price I was looking for.

My first reply was within two hours and said they knew of a car that met all my criteria and had been for sale for quite a while and the owner was willing to part with it for a very affordable price. I replied and said yes, I'm very interested, I can come down on wed/Thursday and take a look, give me a call.

Haven't heard a thing since.

My second reply was a seller in Montreal, 4,800kms away. He had a car for sale, just needed a paint job, and it was only $15,000! That?s just over three times what I had said I was wanting to spend in the ad.

Needless to say, I politely declined.

The third seller was within reasonable distance, had a truly rare car (for here), and had pictures to boot. Unfortunately, the car was too new and in too nice of shape for what I was looking for.

Another dead end.

Then on Tuesday night I got an email, with a link to about 20 pictures of what is one of my favourite cars of all time, in the exact condition I was looking for; a little bit scruffy, a bit of rust but mechanically decent with a lot of potential. Excited, I instantly replied, saying yes, very interested, I can be down there tomorrow or Thursday ("down there" being a 3 hour drive one way). He replies saying Thursday would be fine and that he'll send more info on Wednesday. I don?t hear anything until this morning where he send a better description of the car and asks if I still want to look at it. I say yes, just give me the time and the address. I get a call from the guy two hours later saying "my cats acting strange and I have to take her to the vet, can you come tomorrow?". I say "unfortunately not, as I said, I have Wednesday and Thursdays off, and next week I'm out of town, so it will be two weeks minimum before I can get down there again"

Now I can understand having a sick pet and needing to take it to the vet but are you planning on being there all day? All I need is 30 minutes to an hour to inspect the car and say yes or no.

Maybe it just because when I'm selling a vehicle I try to be prepared and have pictures and detailed descriptions ready to go and I try and work around the buyers schedule to show the car, but I'm getting sick of being dicked around by sellers who seem to have nothing better to do than waste time.

This has happened before and I've walked away from cars I've really wanted due to the seller being a pain in the ass. I'm hoping I can keep my frustration level in check but these people are not making it easy.

I have an RX7 you could restore. It needs an engine and has rear body damaged. :p

Is you car a "low emissions" vehicle? Anyway, are you sure it's not the camcover gasket? It's a more common place for oil weepage, and far quicker and easier to fix :)

It is. And yeah, it's probably the camcover gasket (...venakopan tiiviste?), which probably means I won't need to worry about it that much :p

I failed to get my dad into an XK8 convertible. He says it was almost perfect, but it's too low for his bad back. He now has a silver 2006 Volvo C70, still with a couple months of factory warranty left. He loves the turbo and that awesome roof.

Bah just put some block on the suspension. It worked wonders for BL...

Apparently, there are some car enthusiasts in my new town...

Just today i saw GT-R 35 and a nice black E30 M3.