Call of Duty: Black Ops

Am I the only one who thinks that this game is over the top, and not in a good way?

I liked the original games that were historical, epic, yet plausible (sans taking out an army by yourself). This is just absurd. If someone showed me that clip without me knowing what it was, I'd say it was in the '80s-'90s. Ridiculous.

I don't think I'll be picking this one up.

i agree with Der Stig. Whats with the remote controlled car bomb since when has this been used in warfare? last time i check kids toy are not used as weapons of mass destruction. Also what was with the camera on a tripod in the trailer? and crossbows...really?

Every thing is so fake in call of duty. im not saying make it a full blown military simulator for training but at least make the gameplay plausible. Im sick of all the quickscoping and knifing stuff its not possible and should not be in the game, if thats what u want go play gears or something where its supposed to be a work of fiction. In my opinion the last good call of duty was call of duty 3. this looks like mw2 with a crappy fake vietnam/cold war mod just like how world at war was cod4 in a WWII skin.

I will most likely eventually pick this one up as im sure every one i know and every one on my friends list will have it ,but im not going to be rushing out to pick this one up. there are a lot of more interesting games that are coming out soon that im looking forward to more than this like madden 11, mafia 2, F1 2010, etc. In the mean time i will stick with mw2 for fun with my friends but will continue to play counter strike for a more realistic and fun fps

Last edited:
I just look for fun. This seems like it would be. :dunno:

Lets face it, they're never going to make a good, tactical, game like Rainbow 6 ever again.

:lol: That's why I don't play with annoying ass little kids.

I've found that certain games attract a certain type of audience. I never get the whole ''annoying person on live/psn" on sim/arcade racing games, but I do, en masse when I play action games.

Lets face it, they're never going to make a good, tactical, game like Rainbow 6 ever again.

Nothing quite like sitting back and watching your dudes go in and take everybody out while you're watching :D But fuck I hated the boat level in rogue spear with the hostages at the bridge

I think I'm done with CoD. After having played a good Battlefield title, I'm going to find it very hard to play without tanks, etc. (I pwn face with vehicles. I went like 30/3 earlier tonight for example.)

That is unless all of my gaming friends buy it and then I'll have no choice. :(

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed MW2, but it's too much like CS.

MW and MW2 was like a buttrape to the series, and now they continue to do it. To me Call of Duty was THE world war 2 shooter, it was awesome and there were enough battles throughout 6 years of war to keep telling and re telling stories. They'd rarely run out.
If they wanted to make a game with another setting then why not just call it something different? Why not just Modern Warfare? Staining the call of duty brand was an asshole move in my opinion.
I'd like to see a CoD going back to basics and showing perhaps the war through a german's perspective. Most of the soldiers fighting for Germany probably didn't even care about the cause, they just wanted to protect their families or earn a living, and this concept should have been taken and exploited years ago.

The only game about Vietnam I want to play involves a fat middle aged man driving a scooter. You dunno man, you weren't there!!

why not just call it something different?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2#Title said:
The original teaser trailer confirmed that the game's title of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was officially (and initially) shortened to just Modern Warfare 2.[8] After photographs of the official retail boxes were posted by Robert Bowling,[62] Activision confirmed that the standard-edition Modern Warfare 2 packaging would feature the Call of Duty brand logo in order to reflect the game's association with the Call of Duty franchise.[21] It is speculated that the decision was influenced by findings that brand awareness for the game was significantly lower without the Call of Duty logo.[63] However, the developers still prefer to simply call the game Modern Warfare 2 as they consider it a new IP.[64] The menus in the game also refer to the title of Modern Warfare 2.

agreed, Rainbow Six still remains my favorite FPS and this latest CoD entry just looks like its a big fat can of meh. As far as FPS go, the only title i'm really looking forward to is Halo Reach. Both CoD and Medal of Honor are looking increasingly tired titles and lacking initiative or anything that sets them apart from previous games.

Won't be picking up this one either, last COD I liked was COD2 (I still like playing it now and then), tried both MW1 and 2 but preferred BF:BC2.
For a matter of fact the only FPS I still play on a regular basis even after all these years is CS:S, love it or hate it.

Please bring back COD2 gameplay with better graphics and new maps.

maxtortheone that's exactly what I was saying. The Call of Duty franchise was just screwed by Activision's assholes...

FFS most of the guns STILL sound like fucking toys

Dear Treyarch/Activision.

Please play Bad Company 2 and hear how guns in videogames SHOULD sound lile.

*Also, Happy 700th post to me :cool: *

Last edited:
Activsion, you magnificent bastards.

I wish I didn't want this.

Activsion, you magnificent bastards.

I wish I didn't want this.

People also wanted MW2 before it was launched. I'm almost certain they'll screw something out.
Also, this crossed my mind: I've been complaining about Valve never hurrying up with their releases, but they always do something great. There's no publisher pushing them from the back(I'll never forgive Lucasarts for KOTOR II). And the fact of the matter is Activision is aimed at profits, Kotick doesn't even play video games.
Now, we don't know that much about this game so there's nothing stopping it from being good. But we'll have to wait and see about that

I'm glad to see some fans of Rainbow 6 on this thread. I love the tactical gameplay and it's fun to play the multiplayer. But unfortunately all my buddies play CoD and nothing else. For some reason Call of Duty involves little strategy since you just run around like Rambo and gun people down more or less. I like shooting games where you can actually take cover, blindfire etc, like in a real firefight. Even though the multiplayer was lousy Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter 2 was an awesome military tactical shooter. Awesome military weapons and authenticity in that game.

will deserve a download, i really dont expect it to be good enough to justify buying it.

prediction: single player will make less sense than MW2's, it will be 3 hours long, and lean is unbalanced.

I'm glad to see some fans of Rainbow 6 on this thread. I love the tactical gameplay and it's fun to play the multiplayer. But unfortunately all my buddies play CoD and nothing else. For some reason Call of Duty involves little strategy since you just run around like Rambo and gun people down more or less. I like shooting games where you can actually take cover, blindfire etc, like in a real firefight. Even though the multiplayer was lousy Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter 2 was an awesome military tactical shooter. Awesome military weapons and authenticity in that game.

unfortunately this is the core demographic of the CoD players. just run around shooting at each other. when playing CoD i often try to play Domination since that requires some tactics but 90% of the time it just descends into a team deathmatch. Rainbow Six required actual thinking and working together, i personally loved the Terrorist Hunt mode since that required teamwork, tactics and strategies. something that most CoD players have never heard of.