Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Large Mondeo is large. Seriously, it's like driving a room. Stuff gets worse with parking- try to park the Eiffel Tower and you're getting there.

What cars do you regularly drive down there? That isn't exactly huge over here.

So I've been thinking, after seeing some decent looking ones for sale around here, a Mercedes 190E would be great!
I'm not totally insane, am I?

So I've been thinking, after seeing some decent looking ones for sale around here, a Mercedes 190E would be great!

You are going to need a lot of luck finding one in good condition. Apart from that...I can't think of a reason not to have one.

Are Alfa Romeo 156s that bad? Is the face-lifted one better? What about Lagunas?

This question is particularly pertinent to me as well, I will have to buy a car next year and want something that I'll like for less than $8000. The 156 is in a price range where I could get a basic Golf of the same age, due to Alfas depreciation. I'm quite certain that a standard 2.0 non-Selespeed 156 wouldn't cost much more to service than a Golf.

I have decided that instead of modifying my XTerra, I will put it on hold and start saving what little I can to purchase a teardrop camp trailer.

Build one. I don't remember the site, but there was one that had a set of plans on it.

No you're not.

No, you're not, just watch for rust.

A W124 would be better though.

Disagree there. The W124 is a wallowing boat compared to the W201.

The good thing is that I found one in my area that in pics look decent, hopefully I can convince Dad to bring me down to have a look and test drive it.

Just had to slam on the brakes on the way home to avoid hitting a rather large, confused black bear. Should be fun getting to sleep at a reasonable hour now.

Thank God it was only a bear and not a deer.

At least the deer around here are small, couldn't even finish off our old rusty festiva.

My friend hit a deer in his 323 when we were in Oregon last September and his car was fine. Can't say the same about a bear though... that would be a totaled car. But atleast a bear wont jump into the path of an oncoming car... stupid deer.

@Blind_Io: Is the teardrop for 4x4/offroad use? If so that's sweet, I love those trailer when they are kitted out for the woods and muddy terrain.

In other news:
Police in Switzerland said Monday that they had seized a Swedish motorist's $240,000 sports car after he was caught doing 290 kilometres per hour (180 mph) on a Swiss motorway.

Swiss officials were unable to say if it was a record because they do not keep such nationwide data, but it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach told AFP.

Police in the western canton of Fribourg said in a statement that the 37 year-old driver had to be stopped by a neighbouring police force last Friday after he shot past a permanent speed trap.

His driving licence and 570-horsepower black Mercedes-Benz were seized after he was released from custody, and he could face a fine of up to one million Swiss francs ($962,000) depending on his income.

A local magistrate ordered police to keep the car as security pending a likely court ruling and an eventual sentence.

Driving more than 25 kilometres an hour over the 120-kilometre speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's income.

The Swedish motorist's alleged speed goes off the scale and the penalty is at the judge's discretion, up to a maximum of 1.08 million Swiss francs for speeding, Rohrbach said.

Klick!

Last edited:
Ouch! BUt that was really stupid to be going that fast on a public road.

290kph on public roads is stupidity.

He should've just went on an Autobahn and gunned it there instead.

What cars do you regularly drive down there? That isn't exactly huge over here.

Looking at the wide varieties of cars produced today, yeah, there are lots of much bigger cars (including victor's driver's ed car, which made me curse out loud a bit). That said, the average car over here is one category smaller (stuff like Focuses and Corollas), and the Mondeo's the largest car I drove so far.

Also, given the fact that I'm just over one year on the roads and I don't have much experience parking and other stuff, having a car that's almost 5m long doesn't help ;p

:facepalm:

Looking at the wide varieties of cars produced today, yeah, there are lots of much bigger cars (including victor's driver's ed car, which made me curse out loud a bit). That said, the average car over here is one category smaller (stuff like Focuses and Corollas), and the Mondeo's the largest car I drove so far.

Also, given the fact that I'm just over one year on the roads and I don't have much experience parking and other stuff, having a car that's almost 5m long doesn't help ;p

Heh, even in America, Driver's Ed isn't that bad. It was my dad's at the time and I did a lot of driving with him on my permit. What a terrible, terrible vehicle.