The Gun thread

Apart from the mag, the gun appears to be very well made. I mean it's not K31 Swiss quality, but it is buttery smooth in operation. One point of concern, the recoil spring feels a bit on the soft side...should I replace this just to be safe? Again, there were no feeding issues, but I really don't want to push my luck.

Mine is a 1954 issued gun. I'm reading that there were only 200,000 of these guns built between 52-54. That seems incredibly low numbers for a military weapon. Did they make them during any point after that?

Apart from the mag, the gun appears to be very well made. I mean it's not K31 Swiss quality, but it is buttery smooth in operation. One point of concern, the recoil spring feels a bit on the soft side...should I replace this just to be safe? Again, there were no feeding issues, but I really don't want to push my luck.

Mine is a 1954 issued gun. I'm reading that there were only 200,000 of these guns built between 52-54. That seems incredibly low numbers for a military weapon. Did they make them during any point after that?

Not that I'm aware of. Also, remember that the Czechs didn't exactly intend these for export sale (the Soviets saying 'nyet' to that idea) and that the Czech armed forces were never very large. Conscripts (about half of their forces) were rarely issued pistols, and many officers preferred the issued Skorpion machine pistol over the CZ52 (which was good, because lower-ranking officers were issued the Skorpion and not the CZ52.)

Keep in mind that the US Government had an enormously larger army to equip for our wars of the 20th Century, and until recently the last 1911 that they'd bought had rolled off the line when Truman was President! And at that, we'd only bought a couple million of them to equip a multi-million man military.

To put that into further perspective, the Lee-Enfield rifle - the mainstay of the British Empire and of the successor states in the Commonwealth - was made in Britain from 1895-1957 in various forms. Not counting clones or locally produced copies, the Brits churned out about 17 million of the things, and it averages out to a little under 275,000 a year over the production lifespan. Considering that the British Empire had a vastly larger army to equip at any given time than the Czechs, and that the rifle is always produced in more numbers (and issued in more numbers) than the sidearm, the 200,000 over two years production run of the CZ52 doesn't look bad at all.

As for the recoil spring, do have a qualified smith look at it, but IIRC roller-locked weapons tend to have a softer than 'usual' spring anyway.

Last edited:
I believe I found the problem with the Magazine. The bullets don't 'quite' fit at the angle the follower is. I don't dare change that as who knows what kind of feed issues I might have. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm using winchester commercial ammo or what, but the cartridges are just a little bit too long and they get hung up in the magazine.

Could just be the mag. You could check the ammo length with a micrometer to verify it's to spec - occasionally bad batches (especially in oddball calibers) do get out.

Took some pictures of my iron-curtain collection. Makarov, CZ 52, and AK-74

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

^ That is a nice AK my friend. You planning on putting any accessories on it ? Or are you going to keep the vintage look ?

I want to put a scout scope with a red dot on it. They are hard to find though.

For the gun owners in here, how do you store or keep your guns? I have a large dedicated cabinet (posted much earlier in this thread) that I keep mine in. I keep the makarov (because it's the most reliable, least penetrative, and most wieldable gun I have for HD) with a loaded magazine (not one in the chamber however) just in case. All other guns are empy and magazine-less. A friend of mine goes so far as to take the bolts out of all of his guns while in storage.

How do you guys feel about small handgun safes? I'm going back to Arlington and I would definitely like my two pistols (or at least the CZ) to come along. I don't really trust the area though so I want to lock them up. I've seen some small locking cases, but I don't see what's stopping would-be robbers from just taking the whole thing with them.

^I store my AR in my pop's old Gun Safe which is bolted to the wall in my basement. It's sturdy about little over 5 feet (height wise). If you want to detour thieves you got to store your weaponry in something that is too heavy or too much of hassle to carry out of your home.

Thieves tend to go into homes and be "In and Out". They don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to crack a safe. They go through drawers and such, grab what they can then haul ass out of there.

Either that or get really creative and find a hiding spot that no one will think to look. I used to know a guy that would store his handgun box inside a shoebox in his closet and even one dude that taped his Glock on the back of his bed stand.

Last edited:
Check with Blind_io on the safe issue; he and I had a PM discussion about pistol safes and vehicle safes that I have unfortunately since deleted. Maybe he has a copy and can post it.

Was thinking about this lately: How did Romanian AKs actually get in the US?
Also anybody know of any good reads about different branches of Special Forces around the world. Stuff like the SAS, Spetsnaz, Tier One etc.

Romanian AKs get into the US the same way as any other foreign weapon does - arms importers go looking for deals or suppliers and bring them in. Usually this goes one of two ways:

1. Surplussed former military or police weapons, if fully-automatic, are stripped down for parts, then reassembled with new semi-auto-only fire control parts and a US-made or US-legal semi-auto receiver and sold on to the consumer. The original receiver is destroyed. This is how most FALs and such make it into the US, and how Eastern European AK imports started out.
2. If there's enough demand (or more importantly, if the importer thinks there will be enough demand), sometimes they simply place a large special order with the factory that makes them. That factory then churns out the semi-auto-only versions as desired to the quantities ordered. This is how a lot of the Eastern European AKs and such make it in these days.

Of course, if the weapon is semi-auto to begin with and already meets US import regs, it's simply imported directly. And we get all sorts of weird stuff in that way.

Last edited:
Well, submachine guns/automatic rifles are called Pistol Mitralier?, literally translating into machine gun pistol. Machine guns/light machine guns are called Mitralier? and handguns Pistol

I was admiring my CZ52 today and it got me thinking why there aren't any other roller-delay action pistols on the market? It doesn't seem any heavier or more complex than the swinging link or other short recoil actions, but from most accounts it is extremely strong and because the barrel doesn't tilt it *should* be more accurate, just by design.

I was admiring my CZ52 today and it got me thinking why there aren't any other roller-delay action pistols on the market? It doesn't seem any heavier or more complex than the swinging link or other short recoil actions, but from most accounts it is extremely strong and because the barrel doesn't tilt it *should* be more accurate, just by design.

Five words:

"Hey, where'd the roller(s) go?"

Also, a roller-delay pistol is actually less accurate if set to "reliable" tolerances, plus the roller system takes up significant space and mandates the size of the pistol. CZ52s are not among the most compact pistols either, and are considerably larger than a Browning-action pistol of similar firepower.

Last edited:
Pentathlon switches to laser guns for London 2012 Games
Page last updated at 10:14 GMT, Monday, 23 August 2010 11:14 UK

Laser guns will replace traditional air pistols in the modern pentathlon at the 2012 London Olympics after a successful trial at the inaugural Youth Olympics.

The technology will reduce the cost of the shooting element of the five-event sport by two thirds, while the improved safety could mean new venues are used.

Klaus Schormann, president of world governing body the UIPM, said: "We will have laser shooting for London.

"We can now hold competitions in parks and shopping malls."

Schormann, who is in Singapore for the 14-day Youth Olympics, which finish on Thursday, added: "Based on this new technology, all countries in the world can compete in our sport.

"Safety issues will no longer be a big concern."

The new technology, which first appeared at June's World Cup final in Moscow after years of testing, has also been backed by the sport's honorary president, Prince Albert of Monaco.

"It is a great improvement to the sport," he stated.

"They [the laser guns] will be easier to carry around and to take on aeroplanes. It's the way of the future."

The switch to laser technology is the second major alteration to the sport since the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Modern pentathlon has already merged its two final events, running and shooting, to create a combined run-shoot finale.

The three other events that make up the sport are swimming, fencing and showjumping.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/modern_pentathlon/8936619.stm

With the use of lasers I fail to see the point of the event. One is not shooting when using a laser.