2010 Endurance Racing Thread (Le Mans, LMS, AmLMS, AsLMS, whatever)

The race is scheduled for 229 laps, but even if they keep their fastest pace all through the race, and including pitstop times, it's almost certain that the race will run to 6 hours instead of 1000km.

Well... I was definitely NOT expecting this: LMP1 has fallen apart, the #4 Peugeot and #13 Lola - gearbox failures, #12 Lola - split water line, #008 Lola-AM - alternator. :| Strakka leads by a lap from Quifel-ASM and it's a LMP2 washout of the top SIX!!!!

That was an extraordinary race... Nothing more to be said really. Congratulations to Strakka Racing!

LMP2 cars sweep the top 6. That's the most remarkable thing I've seen in European endurance racing since... ever, really. Outstanding job by the Strakka guys and hearty congratulations are in order for this great performance and this astonishing result.

Blast, I completely missed that by having a wrong date in my head :|
impressive win for Strakka

I was there at the Hungaroring as a spectator on Saturday and Sunday and it was an awesome experience. Watching the cars go round on a fully dark track, it was much more spectacular than I had expected! Also the sound of the engines (Aston's GT2 car was brutal) and everything... one of the best motorsport experiences of my life! I had been a bit concerned that the 6-hour race would be boring for me as we had no commentary and only one screen at the track (which wasn't very visible either) so it was quite hard to follow the race, but I can say that I enjoyed every minute of those six hours!

My ticket allowed me to go to the paddock area as well, so it was very easy to get close to the drivers, and it was pleasantly surprising how friendly ALL of them were, even the biggest names (including Nigel Mansell - btw it would have been great to see him drive as well) were willing to stop for an autograph or a photo with the fans. Moreover, you could even walk into the pits and touch the bodywork of the cars, tyres etc.

The result was special too, I was happy for Strakka, also because they were one of the funniest and friendliest team in the paddock. :D

So, overall, an awesome and memorable weekend.

Oh, I almost forgot the negative thing: VERY few spectators attended the race, it was almost painful to see the number of people sitting in the grandstands. It was a disgrace... :( I think the main reason is that LMS is not known by many peope in Hungary, and the race wasn't advertised either. When the calendar came out in March, there was only one or two Hungarian websites which mentioned that there would be a race here, but no advertisements or anything since then...

Entry list for the Silverstone 1000k revealed, and it's a blast! 12 LMP1 cars, including two factory Audis, basically two factory Peugeots (only one is run by Oreca), two Aston Martin Racing Lola-AMs, Drayson are making the "hop" over the ocean from the ALMS... otherwise, no major changes, except that BMW are back in GT2 with one car and there's a Gallardo GT3 upgraded to GT2 privately as well.

http://www.lemans-series.com/fr/s52_circuits/s52p06_engages.php?circuit=6

Also, for Petit Le Mans, the Porsche GT3-R hybrid will be driven by the three guys that drove the winning Audi at Le Mans this year.

Last edited:
The other two crews. Bernhard/Dumas/Rocky will be in the GT3-R hybrid, Dindo/Allan/TK and Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer will drive the two Audis that will race at Road Atlanta (there are two cars entered by Audi in each of the three ILMC events).

Ah, ok.

.../didn't watch Le Mans :-(

So....anyone see Luke Hines' crash at Mosport?

47 cars on the Silverstone entry list, Petit Le Mans list is still unrevealed but sources hint at 48 cars on the grid. And Silverstone is this weekend! :D Rematch of Le Mans in 1000 km, odds are balanced, two Audis vs. two Peugeots. Bring it on!

Let's see how the Peugeots do in this race against the Audis. In a shorter race they shouldn't have the same engine problems as they did in Le Mans.

Also, a statement from Olivier Quesnel says that Peugeot have switched back to an earlier design+material of conrod fabrication... and that one probably endured the 24 Hours properly. In any case, the longest ILMC race is less than 10 hours, and the maximum-attack charge of the #1 Peugeot at Le Mans after the alternator failure delay and before the final engine failure was probably a full 14 hours (the engine failed with about 2 hours to go, and the alternator delay was probably about 8-9 hours into the race).

If the pace difference is similar to Le Mans, it might turn out to be a rather one-sided event. If Audi are close on pace, and since their pit strategy and pitwork is generally viewed as superior, it should be a cracker.

Last edited:
The Europe-wide Eurosport will split about 4 hours of coverage in 3 chunks on both channels, so your best hope would be either to find a secret stream somewhere or dosh out 5 Euros for a month's subscription to Eurosport Player (which is what I did for Le Mans itself). Of course, RLM commentary is free and covers the whole race, so the best thing to do is to find a stream, keep it running and keep it muted while you have the RLM stream open at the same time.

At least... in theory. Eurosport coverage sometimes ignores every schedule, and this year it's been quite a few times to the detriment of the LMS.

Last edited:
Yeah, but FP1 was disrupted by a couple of rain showers, plus a mock SC intervention to try and "tune" the procedure with two Safety Cars on the track... of course, what they're all doing is try and mess it up even more and give Hindhaugh more reasons to get on his SC soapbox. :lol:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/lms-aston-martin-confirms-new-lmp1-for-2011/

So we have at least three proper manufacturers in P1 next year, since Aston have confirmed that they have been building a car for 2011 and they will race it after all, after assurances from the ACO that the diesel-petrol equivalency will be done properly.

Ahem... we are talking about the French though...

Also, six Aston Martin LMP1s are scheduled to run next year. I wonder what private teams will be running the non-factory ones... it's pretty possible that Signature-Plus will continue their contract next year and run an Aston as well...

Last edited: