Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just remember, no matter where it was made VAG product = unreliable in the long term in the US theatre of operations.

You guys don't know me at all, do you? :p

I'm a closed-minded fool and so American cars aren't really in the running for me.

I do appreciate the input guys, but I think my priorities are kind of out of whack compared to most of you guys.

As I said, it was just for shits and giggles - an example of what 30K can buy nowadays.
10 years ago, did you ever think you could buy a brand-new 400+ hp car for $30,000?

Just remember, no matter where it was made VAG product = unreliable in the long term in the US theatre of operations.

That's okay, cars are disposable to me. :p

They aren't so horrendously bad that I should cross VW off my list though, right?

As I said, it was just for shits and giggles - an example of what 30K can buy nowadays.
10 years ago, did you ever think you could buy a brand-new 400+ hp car for $30,000?

10 years ago I neither had a license nor $30,000 so I didn't think about anything car related. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Probably not that bad, but there can be some showstoppers. Plus VW's dealer network is notoriously terrible and VW USA is unwilling to help customers.

Also, as I recall, you're moving to Southern California, right? Well, if you're there, you're going to be spending hours and hours sitting in traffic. You might as well be comfortable in the long term.

Last edited:
SoCal is the plan, yes.

I know about the traffic, part of the reason I tried to restrict myself to something sensible was the traffic because I figure you don't get as many chances to push the car to its limits.

The GTI is pretty comfortable actually, probably even more so than my IS. It's no Suburban but comfortable enough.

SoCal is the plan, yes.

I know about the traffic, part of the reason I tried to restrict myself to something sensible was the traffic because I figure you don't get as many chances to push the car to its limits.

The GTI is pretty comfortable actually, probably even more so than my IS. It's no Suburban but comfortable enough.

It's also not nearly as comfortable or quiet as a proper supersedan or heavy cruiser.

You might like the Passat CC VR6, it is much faster and a big step up from the 2.0T. I have heard the 3.6 VR6 is more reliable than the 2.0T, as well. Despite the issues I've heard, my Passat has been a great car. Maintenance itself isn't so bad but, stuff like headlights are expensive to replace.

It's also not nearly as comfortable or quiet as a proper supersedan or heavy cruiser.

True, but like I said good enough for an hour or two (or three) in traffic. I'm pretty tall but these days I don't weigh much, the GTI will not be a problem from a comfort perspective. It won't be very smooth or quiet I know, but it's a sporty little car and so you have to cut it some slack. At least it's not tight.

Vette Boss, I actually have a bit of a soft spot for the CC and have considered it. But the VR6 with some options tends to run pretty high in Canada, more than I would personally like to pay for a VW. Plus what I kind of like about the GTI it's that it's a GTI, who's to say if the Passat CC will even be in production two years from now? I guess that doesn't really make much of a difference to me, but I feel kind of funny even considering one of these niche cars.

Might be more than three. I just listened to the LA traffic report via KNX 1070, and this was what they were reporting at 12:25AM for highway traffic problems:

Multivehicle wreck, mile plus backup
Overturned vehicle, some backup
Overturned vehicle, some backup
Road construction, lane and offramp closure
Road construction, lane and offramp closure
Dumpster on road, mile plus backup.
Vehicle fire, mile plus backup

"Welcome to Los Angeles, you're not going anywhere any time soon." Might as well be comfortable while you wait.

Austin is also another option for a place I could move to.

Cheaper housing, less traffic, the hippest of all hip people... but LA just has a je ne sais quoi about it. It's got so many problems, if it wasn't worth it there wouldn't be millions of people putting up with all those issues.

Well, the way I see it with LA. It was the place to be, but when it stops being that place, you still have all of the people that moved there, wishing it will become what it once was.

LA has a huge population loss that is only being made up through illegal immigration. Most of the inhabitants are either on the welfare rolls or are otherwise disqualified from having to pay taxes. If my dad would pull his head out of the sand and take off his blinders, he'd be gone too. Mom already wants to leave - and they were both huge boosters of CA in my youth.

Your call, though. :p

Well, the way I see it with LA. It was the place to be, but when it stops being that place, you still have all of the people that moved there, wishing it will become what it once was.

LA stopped being the place to be sometime in the early 90s and it died for good in 1995. What's left is a walking corpse.

Last edited:
Well if it ever stops being the place I can just move on back home to Vancouver, the self-proclaimed Best Place on Earth?. :D

Honestly, I'm just going there to be with family. I have some in Austin too but far fewer than in SoCal. Plus, I really do believe there is an unexplainable attraction to LA. It's pretty clear why Austinites or Vancouverties are happy where they live but it isn't obvious at all with LA, yet I know plenty of people who weren't born there and wouldn't move anywhere else.

Edit: Spectre, I think your views regarding California are pretty well known. Do me a huge favour and don't ruin this for me, it took so long to convince myself of this move and your bias, while possibly warranted, is not helpful to me. :)

Last edited:
Okay, but if I were you, I'd keep an open return ticket handy.... Right now, people only go there because of vague memories of past glories or the desire to get into the film industry. Unfortunately, the reality is much different and Hollywood is dying out/outsourcing. See my post above yours.

Edit:
Edit: Spectre, I think your views regarding California are pretty well known. Do me a huge favour and don't ruin this for me, it took so long to convince myself of this move and your bias, while possibly warranted, is not helpful to me. :)

Well, I won't say anything further, but why don't you listen to KNX 1070 NewsRadio in Los Angeles for a bit and decide for yourself?

I think you'd find Austin much more to your liking. Less idiot regulations on your kitty, too. :D

Last edited:
Actually, I am moving there because of memories of past glory, had some really happy times down there. Fortunately that glory is mostly in the extensive family I have there, and that hasn't changed at all.

I have money, I'm not going there for career options. Even it's a huge failure and I still don't want to come back home I can try out Austin, no loss.

You edit too much. :p

What silly kitty restrictions do they have in California?

Dude, are you kidding? You point out the most obvious issue which is traffic, at least be helpful and tell me the less obvious issues.

The only thing I know my cat will need is a rabies shot. I'm thinking that is not what you're referring to.

Nope, but now we're getting well out of the automotive scope. PM me and I'll send you the relevant links.