Telephobia, fear of phones

I have no problem answering the phone, but I hate making calls, especially to people I don't know. I just get nervous and forget what to say and mumble or talk too fast or both, I much prefer to send a text or mail.

I only have a fear of ordering pizza over the phone. I don't know why, I just hate to call pizza places and place an order.
Mostly thats why Pizza Hut has gotten so much business from me over the years... They were the first in my old hometown to have online ordering. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! "Pizza delivery and I don't have to make a phone call! YAYAYAYA. I can live a normal life!... oh wait, hang on.."

tumblr_l85x3vxqSS1qdyivp-298x300.jpg

I get nervous, start walking around in the room, think about what im going to say, call, and then walk around and gesticulate while I speak to the person. I prefer to speak face to face aswell! It's more effective in achieving what you want anyway :D I also just realised this, would have never crossed my mind to create a thread about it :D

Last edited:
I feel awkward talking on the phone, esp to people I don't know (businesses, my university, etc). I always end up sounding like an idiot, stammering and all that.

The same goes for voicemail/answering machines, I almost always end up pressing star to get a do over...

I really only get nervous about important phone calls, or when my parents call at odd times during the week (which they've been doing annoyingly frequently as of late).

Seriously, Mom, I have a nineteen-hour class load this semester and that's NOT amusing. LEARN TO USE E-MAIL FOR SHORT MESSAGES. </rant>

Last edited:
i dislike talking over the phone because it usually ends up with massive drawn out calls that were supposed to take 30 secs but end up being 15-20mins.

the types of body language that you use without thinking about it to hurry stuff along when you talk to someone face to face just isnt replicable over a phone, without sounding like a twat anyway.

body language is a thing for me, im not scared of phones but when im on them and im explaining stuff, i often forget im on the phone and im doing all the arm wavy actions and everything. i must look like a loon.

I really only get nervous about important phone calls, or when my parents call at odd times during the week (which they've been doing annoyingly frequently as of late).

Seriously, Mom, I have a nineteen-hour class load this semester and that's NOT amusing. LEARN TO USE E-MAIL FOR SHORT MESSAGES. </rant>

pffft 19 hours? try essentially a jobs worth of class load.... we used to have 9-6pm every day for an entire academic year, thats 40 hrs a week (1 hour for lunch) and thats before you have to do work in your own time (study, projects, experiments blah blah)!

then random calls from the rents get annoying lol

I have no problem answering the phone, but I hate making calls, especially to people I don't know. I just get nervous and forget what to say and mumble or talk too fast or both, I much prefer to send a text or mail.

This, although I have no problem making work-related phonecalls to my direct colleagues or calling a manufacturer's support hotline. Asking me to call a user to debug his issue? Rather walk over there and do it in person. I think that's why the users kinda like me, they feel like I'm doing a bit extra for them :p (Okay, I only handle user calls directly maybe once a month, it's a bit different for me.)

When ever I call someone that I don't know I normally run the conversation over in my head a couple of times to make sure I say what Im suppose to be saying. If im calling a friend the conversation will build no matter what so im fine with that. But if I receive a call I will just go with the flow...
So I guess I don't have telephobia..maybe a little when im calling someone I don't know but still thats to make sure I don't stumble what im going to say.

Although I just realised that I ran this whole reply over my head.....

Hate phones, hate em, talking to people I know (well) is alright, altough I like to keep it to the bare neccesities and not to much chitchat.

Talking to strangers, or worse 'institutions' is another matter.....I find myself constantly arranging paperwork and trivial boring matters face-to-face, instead of doing it all much quicker with a phonecall, I loose alot of time with that.

I think I might have this telephobia thing in a mild way.

pffft 19 hours? try essentially a jobs worth of class load.... we used to have 9-6pm every day for an entire academic year, thats 40 hrs a week (1 hour for lunch) and thats before you have to do work in your own time (study, projects, experiments blah blah)!

then random calls from the rents get annoying lol
Eew. I'm glad that's not how my school works, but we make up for it with the homework load. Yuck.

I hate making calls cos I feel I'm disturbing people's peace. Receiving them is no problem...
I also don't like that little chit chat you have to do before you get to the point of your call (unless its someone you call every day): "Hey John... how you doin'? everything good? the family? Great.. hey listen can I borrow...."

I worked tech support at a call center but that was different, cos people needed to talk to me and that sort of helps; following a protocol and workflow helps too, you don't feel that nervous. Except on your first calls out of training... man it felt like I was up for execution. Then after getting 50-100 calls every day, you get used to it.

Last edited: