Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

It wasn't phrased like a question, so I inferred that the question mark may have been in error.

So, you just want to cross-fade, or are you looking for ideas?

+1 to the SD1. The first generation 4.5 MP Foveons were... well they were 4.5 megapixels and 1.7x crop factor. Meh. Resolution in line with other sensors and enlarged to 1.5x crop factor, now Sigma might actually attract some sales beyond a handful of people who really need 100% colour accuracy. Then again, the camera looks poorly made (like the panels don't quite fit together quite right) almost like it was designed by optical designers...

I think it's going to be a case of the sensor being brilliant, the images being brilliant (below 1600 iso), with the rest of it being a bit meh.

A cross fade sounds good, but ideas are welcome. Any place that offers template downloads? As far as I can tell there is no way to do this in Aperture?

Will upload pic later.

This is just a sample.

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/thomas93/2010/09/23/FGsample_001.jpg

I want to make it so the images blend into each other rather then coming to an abrupt end?

EDIT: I uploaded a melon, resized.

Last edited:
Well it's easy to do in Photoshop, that's for sure. Not sure about Aperture or Lightroom. Don't use either of them. If you PM me the full size images I can blend them for you...

post them in here when you find the 3, mayne.

I have a small question. I posted it on the tech edition but I was sent this way. Now go easy on me as im a noob in photography! :D

Whats the relationship between ISO and the Shutter speed?

From what I can understand from articles that I have read is that the ISO is how much sensitive the sensor is to light and shutter speed is how long is the exposure. They say that low ISO is the best for less grainy images and higher ISO is used when the light gets insufficient. I have been reading this article and they say "Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds"
Why do they say that? Why is it that when you increase the ISO the shutter speed decrease?

Last edited:
it doesnt increase.. it decreases.. faster is shorter...

I have a small question. I posted it on the tech edition but I was sent this way. Now go easy on me as im a noob in photography! :D

Whats the relationship between ISO and the Shutter speed?

From what I can understand from articles that I have read is that the ISO is how much sensitive the sensor is to light and shutter speed is how long is the exposure. They say that low ISO is the best for less grainy images and higher ISO is used when the light gets insufficient. I have been reading this article and they say "Higher ISO settings are generally used in darker situations to get faster shutter speeds"
Why do they say that? Why is it that when you increase the ISO the shutter speed decrease?

The time shutter stays open decreases because it can gather more light per unit time the shutter is open.

I'll make 'er "quick" for you. An ISO speed is a standard measurement for how long film (or a sensor nowadays) will require an exposure to be at a given aperture (or the required aperture at a given shutter speed). The higher the ISO number the more the sensitive, or less time an exposure will take. The lowest iso speed a digital camera offers will be the sensor's true sensitivity*, when you increase it the sensor signal gets amplified so the required shutter speeds become shorter but it also amplifies the noise (since it's an inherent part of images produced by digital sensors), as the iso speed goes up the signal to noise ratio goes down. The relation between ISO speed and shutter speed is fairly simple. Doubling the iso speed (eg. going from iso 100 to 200) halves the light required to get the same exposure, so a shutter speed of 1/125 at iso 100 would then be 1/250 for the same exposure at iso 200. Double the iso speed again, or increase it by one stop in photog terms, and you half the required light again and you're shutter speed goes down (or is it up?) to 1/500. [edit: note: this is assuming the aperture doesn't change]

In dark indoors situations you might need 1/4 or more a second to get a proper exposure at iso 100, if anything is moving (especially the camera) all you'd get is motion blur, so someone with a fancypants nikon d3s could crank the iso speed way up to 25600 (2^9 times more sensitive or 9 stops higher than iso 100) and then they would only need to open the shutter for 1/1000 of a second which is plenty fast enough to take pictures of... people running around in a dark room I guess. And the tradeoff between useless blurred pictures and noisy pictures is worth it in such situations, it's either no picture or a noisy picture, easy decision.

*ignoring full frame cameras with... uhh... boosted(?) low iso.

Last edited:
Are you sure you were the one overthinking it? :unsure: