[07x08] May 9th, 2005

I think Plato did a good job with the Jeep segment - very opinionated. :thumbsup:

I can't believe those hot hatches are so fast - maybe it's just the circuit?

Jon Bentley's segment was a downer. I hope they don't start showing bike crashes or I'm going to be sick. :?

"Here's what happens with a dump truck hits a motorcycle at 100mph."

worst episode so far this season, but still better than any of the american shows.... they need to stop playing games and review the new M5

This episode was pretty bad. I want to see more review of the CTR and the Clio. The CTR looks very fun to drive, oversteer with a fwd car. :thumbsup: The crash test was ok, it could be much shorter tho. I think installing a roll cage would help. My Talon has no airbags, now I'm seriously thinking about getting a 4 point seatbealt and maybe a roll cage. Thanks for sharing.

that was one boring ass episode. i dont think i wanna see the 2 mins i missed. gonna make it even worse lol

Hey, haven't watched the ep yet, but didn't want to read through these pages in case there were any spoilers, but just popping in to let you know that there's actually only 45 seconds missing off of the ep that has been released and the only bit of the review that's missing is this (to random vids of the car):

"This is the new Grand Cherokee from Jeep;

"Jeep, who pride themselves on making proper off-roaders; off-roaders for manly types who actually go... off-road"

There's exactly 15 seconds missing from the piece.

So, anyway, that's it, just thought I'd let you know you're not missing much :)

whoever actually redownloads the episode just to get those 20 words must really be a nerd- in fact, im surprised at how many nerds there are in this Forum...oh btw, this week's FG was whack

Jasons review was crap.

A ofroader is MEANT to be driven of road not fast around corners.

DAMN that was one stupid review from him.

He should stick to sport cars and let someone like Bentley or Tom (that big guy) do the ofroad stuff.

Vicki looks ugly in that haircut and acted like a kid very childish.

Only good thing from the episode was Tiffs very short :( review and Bentleys crash thing.

They should go full 1hr and they can afford it cause they give away cars left and right all the time.

1hr and get the right people doing the right car reviews and they will have a good program.
Ohh and stop with those stupid questions.
If here are someone from fifthgear that reads these pages then take a note.

I thought the episode was pretty good, though I found the crash test to be rather unnecessary and far too long.

dathrilla said:
whoever actually redownloads the episode just to get those 20 words must really be a nerd- in fact, im surprised at how many nerds there are in this Forum...oh btw, this week's FG was whack

Well, sorry for not being at your level... We'll try not to disappoint you again...

Just watched the Jeep segment, in a way I'm kinda pissed off but in a way I'm also not a huge fan of the new Grand Cherokee.

What pissed me off was not that he didn't like the new one, but that he thought the old one was so bad! I don't know how much BMW has re-worked their X5 since the launch, but there was a time when Jeep's Grand Cherokee was regarded as a nicer drive, even with the big solid axle in the front.

The X5 doesn't get anywhere near the wheel travel needed to be a competent offroader and as far as I'm concerned, anything that comes with high performance street tires really shouldn't be given a lot of credit offroad... we saw that clearly when the Range Rover Sport sat there spinning all 4 tires on the horse track.

This is a poser shot but it shows the kind of wheel travel the Grand Cherokee can get.

Picture_007.sized.jpg

The out-going model of the Grand Cherokee has a great interior, great ride, and great offroad performance from the drive system it has... and is still my favourite mid-sized SUV.

The new one? They've catered to the school-run and given it independent front suspension and reduced the clearance and so on...

In a way Plato has a point... it doesn't beat the X5 on-road, and when it comes to off-road, the new one will still do better than the X5 but not by enough I feel.

Wives who want a tough looking minivan may not care if it can go offroad, but manufacturers seem to be forgetting there ARE people that do care, and the ones that don't care buy it because they think it gives them the image of people who do actually lead interesting and adventure filled lives.

I dunno... mixed feelings about it... I'm glad he didn't congratulate them on too much with this one BUT I would rather he called for more offroad capability.

Oh and he does have a point about what you get for your money, but that's just because it's way overpriced in England...

?38,000 for the top spec Hemi model?

The top spec of the outgoing model was the Overland, 4.7L high output, leather everywhere, same offroad running gear, and in the Middle East you could buy it brand new for ?20,000 - and it's a MUCH better vehicle that you can take offroad straight off the showroom floor... the green plates on this Jeep are the dealership plates, this one was just days old.

jeepchallenge107.jpg

jeepchallenge108.jpg

Sorry if I'm overloading the thread with pictures!

bihus said:
dathrilla said:

Well, sorry for not being at your level... We'll try not to disappoint you again...

what are you talkin about?

Thanks Oman.

seriously though . . .who would buy a jeep that can't do the nasty with the Rubicon? To me, that's sacrilege. to DaimlerChrysler's Credit though:

MotorTrend's Sport-Ute of the year: LandRover LR3 (i think the jeep came in 2nd)

Peterson's 4-wheel and Off-Road's 4x4 of the year: Jeep Grand Cherokee

just looking at those 2 publications, each being biased in on or off road, It's completely clear what side of the coin the Jeep is meant for. Not to mention that one of ward's 10best engines (3 years and counting) is under the hood of the jeep. can you say HEMI? I knew you could! And WHILE we're looking at on-road performance, where's the acceleration tests? Ah, it's okay Jason, I know you don't want your dear, sweet BMW to lose face.

His remarks on the interior are right, but I feel there's reason for the plastics to be as hard as concrete in a 4x4. They wont bruise and deform from rugged use. He didnt even remark on the quality of the fit or shakes n rattles.

Some comments on the handling. . .you have these high-profile semi-knobbly Goodyears on the Jeep, and FAR more road-biased tires on the X5 and the LR3. That alone can make a huge difference in ride and handling characteristics. A pair of Michelin LTX M/S tires on the Jeep I would venture to state would make it a pretty smart handler despite the tall sidewalls and trail rated suspension.

I LOVE that Superformance Coupe. I saw it awhile ago on Motorweek here in the states, sucky program but loved the segment on that beastly coupe. I guess hi-output V8s bring out the kid in Vicki :lol:

I don't Mind Bentley at all. . .but why do we need half the episode devoted to a crash I've seen repeatedly on the 6 o'clock news?

Last thing. . .I'd go for the Clio. . .especially here in the states. There's a bazillion Civics around here, and besides . .its cheaper than the civi for not even half a second difference at the track. . .and that compliancy will go a long way in the real world. why do you think Subaru WRXs are more popular than EVOs? Besides, with the money i saved, i can do a little customization :mrgreen:

Thanks for the torrents this site is the best keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<---seeding at a solid 20K/s

I'd bump it more but im sharing the line with a roomie and his WoW addiction.

Didn't like this episode, the crash thing was ok, it's just that the other segments were imo completely useless. When I saw the Jeep I knew what the conclusion would be and the replica, well, I just find replicas totally uninteresting. Tiff's part was waaaaay too short.

Serj said:
And WHILE we're looking at on-road performance, where's the acceleration tests? Ah, it's okay Jason, I know you don't want your dear, sweet BMW to lose face.

The 4.4 V8 X5 is fairly quick, 0-60 in 6.9sec and 1/4 mile in 14.9sec. The 4.8is is supposed to do 0-60 in 6sec. The diesel version is fairly quick in it's class too, not sure exactly but tests say anywhere between 8.8sec to 10.5sec 0-60.

Serj said:
Some comments on the handling. . .you have these high-profile semi-knobbly Goodyears on the Jeep, and FAR more road-biased tires on the X5 and the LR3. That alone can make a huge difference in ride and handling characteristics. A pair of Michelin LTX M/S tires on the Jeep I would venture to state would make it a pretty smart handler despite the tall sidewalls and trail rated suspension.

He did mention about the body roll and stuf though which would be fixed by the tyres. But you are right, some X5 style tyres would make a difference to the amount of grip it has.

X5 is just a crap car.

Jeremy is right on the ball with that car.
It just sucks.

The Jeep looks alot better and I dont care about the plastic cause the X5 has the same kind of plastic.