Help constructing an arm mounted ball launcher?

^Explosives, great idea.

Yeah I'd go for the spud gun idea using hairspray as a propellant, or if you have any kind of self preservation instinct you could use an air tank instead. A scuba tank would probably hold a decent amount of air and could be worn as a backpack.

1244971-i_like_where_thread_going3_super.jpg

Yeah I'd go for the spud gun idea using hairspray as a propellant, or if you have any kind of self preservation instinct you could use an air tank instead. A scuba tank would probably hold a decent amount of air and could be worn as a backpack.
You've got to be careful with that, at least if you decide to build up a lot of pressure inside PVC. IIRC it can only hold about 150psi ... then it shatters. Years ago I built a compressed-air powered potato gun; and I definitely preferred my old hairspray one to it. It sounds crazy, but I think the one that spits fire is actually safer.

Hey not be a party pooper but if she is going to wear this costume at PAX she should probably check their weapons policy to be sure she is legal (or have the shooty bit removeable). Speaking as staff for a bunch of Huge conventions nothing sucks worse than telling a kid in a costume has to take off his right arm be cause it doesn't pass the rules we set down.

Just my 2c but i would DEFINITELY stay away from compressed air. I think something basic using a plunger a piece of pvc and some rubberbands or a spring is going to be much easier and less likely to fail weapons check. Perhaps cocking and firing could be handled by the off hand while the hand in the gun does the loading which would allow you to do realistic Samus poses while still firing...

Last edited:
Leave it to the men to come up with the most explosive and powerful solutions to a simple problem. You'd think Clarkson had hijacked all the forum accounts.

:rofl:

Hey not be a party pooper but if she is going to wear this costume at PAX she should probably check their weapons policy to be sure she is legal (or have the shooty bit removeable). Speaking as staff for a bunch of Huge conventions nothing sucks worse than telling a kid in a costume has to take off his right arm be cause it doesn't pass the rules we set down.

Just my 2c but i would DEFINITELY stay away from compressed air. I think something basic using a plunger a piece of pvc and some rubberbands or a spring is going to be much easier and less likely to fail weapons check. Perhaps cocking and firing could be handled by the off hand while the hand in the gun does the loading which would allow you to do realistic Samus poses while still firing...

Very good points. I had hoped to avoid complicated/expensive/dangerous contraptions anyway. I think the easiest will be a spring or rubber band loaded mechanism. The hard part is getting the trigger in a place to easily use it and so it fits with the costume. Anyone know how to do a button push trigger? I think this one would be the best option since Samus usually fires with her other hand on the gun in the first place. As far as reloading, what do you think is the best way? It will have to be front loaded and one shot I guess, but I don't really want to look like I'm loading a civil war cannon in order to reset it.

There should be plenty of space around inside the casing, so I'm thinking... a simple ball magazine somewhere in the remaining space, made from some king of tubing, sealed at one end and pop-in at the other. Maybe spring-loaded as well for quick successive shots.

Leave it to the women to think that we men would think of something other than explosions and powerrrrrrrrr. :p

Yeah! what good is having an arm-mounted ball launcher if you can't inflict lifethreathening injuries with it :p

Ehehhehehe...I saw that one and I fully intend to go way further than she did. (i.e. more detail, metal looking paint, etc.) Maybe I can squeeze a few lights in there WITH the ball launcher...hmm...

*Edit* Oh great, now I have to rephrase because my post sounds dirty after that, Cobol...rofl

Last edited:
apologies for necro'ing this thread but i just saw something on kotaku that immediately made me think of this thread.
11 year-old Joe DeRosa wants to dress up as a girl this Halloween. That girl is Samus Aran, star of the Metroid series. So his dad Tony is helping him build an awesome arm cannon.

This adorable video showcases the construction of the cannon, which with light and sounds (based on the Metroid prime design of the character) is very impressive. The pair also hope to get a completed helmet and chestplate finished by Halloween, too, so can't wait to see what they look like.

You can see more pics at the project's site below, which in a further display of adorability, is entirely in character.

his website is over at http://web.me.com/cindyderose/Project:_Varia/Sector_001.html

Last edited:
man Arduinos are so fucking awesome...

Oooh nice. Thanks for the video! If only I knew more about making the inner workings of electronics, having sound would be so awesome. Also, I wish I had a shop to work in these days...