Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

If you want a durable laptop, get a Lenovo Thinkpad. I say this because I had mine in my backpack when I crashed my 500 last week, and other than a tiny crack between 2 ports, it is perfectly functional still.

They may be slightly tougher than the rest, but stinkpads are rubbish in all other respects. And their toughness is also gradually degrading over time. Lenovo is pumping out some real shit lately, we get them at work here.

Working as a service tech in an Apple Reseller, I can confirm this. Apple only reimburses us when we do an actual physical repair, i.e. when we order a part. They don't cover any diagnostic, software related issues nor any data recovery... A good service center wouldn't have done any work without your approval though.

The service tech who repaired my failbook left me a voicemail and said that basically they discoved the HD errors when doing the diagnositcs and so he had to repair it and that he couldn't exactly go back and recorrupt the hard disk to call me and ask for authorization. I still think its BS considering they said inspection fees don't cost anything due to my laptop being under warranty....

Sigh.

If you want a durable laptop, get a Lenovo Thinkpad. I say this because I had mine in my backpack when I crashed my 500 last week, and other than a tiny crack between 2 ports, it is perfectly functional still.
You should see what I did to my last MBP. Dents everywhere and caved in side (which is impressive being metal) and it didn't start to go until like a year after I did that. :blink:
Or better yet, a Toughbook.
Unless you plan on doing huge damage they are overpriced. I looked them up recently it costs as MORE than my new APPLE laptop to have one with specs of the 3 year old computer I just replaced that survived multiple drops from as high as 4 feet and me falling on top of it with my elbow.

Is it true that Apple wouldn't provide coverage for these types of problems? I've already picked up the laptop and paid for it since I need it back rather urgently, but its definitely left a bad taste in my mouth since I reckon if I took it to an official Apple store I wouldn't have been charged for the work. :mad:

That sucks. I do always take mine to the apple store and they actually haven't ever charged me for software issues even out of warranty.

Yeah, I think next time I'll just go directly to a proper Apple store.

And I'm definitely taking out the extra Applecare after this incident.

Check out eBay for good deals on AppleCare, that's where I got mine for 1/3th of the normal Apple price at the time.

Yep, I've found a good Australian seller for the Applecare. My warranty runs out in November-ish.

The battery on my hd2 is really starting to get bad.. only charges to 84% atm and barely lasts a day. i guessing its got something to do with android im running... or maybe using the car charger all the time ;)

Anyone know how to access BBC iPlayer from overseas?

The battery on my hd2 is really starting to get bad.. only charges to 84% atm and barely lasts a day. i guessing its got something to do with android im running... or maybe using the car charger all the time ;)

Make sure to use SetCPU, that helps a lot.

Anyone know how to access BBC iPlayer from overseas?

With a UK based proxy? :p

How? :p

Through Google, but in my experience they are mostly too slow for streaming junk.

blackberry-playbook-2c89-640.jpg

God Dammit RIM, I told myself I'd never like anything you made (you came close with BB OS 6 and the Torch but screwed the pooch on the underpowered hardware...), but look at what you've done. You've managed to combine attractive software with hardware w/out bungling it up like gimping the RAM or processor, or forcing one to tether it continuously to a BlackBerry like many rumored/feared. I even like the name PlayBook! Good on ya, now hopefully the battery life won't suck, people will develop apps for the new OS, and it won't be obscenely expensive.

Last edited:
Yeah, the PlayBook has me rethinking tablets in general. It looks wholly kickass.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a new mobile OS on a tablet? I understand that it needs a very specific kind of interface, but with hardware that powerful, I'd want to be able to run desktop applications if necessary. Can't someone come up with a nice, touch-friendly UI for Windows 7 or Linux or something?

The biggest limitation for me is lack of a windowing system. I want my instant messaging next to my browser goddammit!

The service tech who repaired my failbook left me a voicemail and said that basically they discoved the HD errors when doing the diagnositcs and so he had to repair it and that he couldn't exactly go back and recorrupt the hard disk to call me and ask for authorization. I still think its BS considering they said inspection fees don't cost anything due to my laptop being under warranty....

Sigh.

Well, unless you authorized them to charge you for services in advance, they can't legally charge you. If they charged your credit card, file a dispute with Visa/Mastercard.

It's getting worse. I've been catching myself trying to rationalize coming up with the $500 to buy the Captivate off contract. That'd be 2 $500 phones in six months.

It's getting worse. I've been catching myself trying to rationalize coming up with the $500 to buy the Captivate off contract. That'd be 2 $500 phones in six months.

Don't you have a Nexus One? I got a Hero this year and don't plan on upgrading until after my 2 year contract :p

They moved to the UK

Seriously though, I don't really get regional restrictions. It's just more people watching what you produced. Actually, it's a money issue, as they don't get money from you watching it.

Last edited: