Dear American FG members, help me find and purchase a rwd, V8 powered exotic!

How many of them have Jaguar XJ220 chassis and engines under them?

Not many, ze Germans prefer Porsche Transporters.

Yeah, I am talking about MPH not KPH.

I know. I was not going for a my-penis-is-larger-than-yours with a larger number, I was showing how both loaded and empty Sprinters go quickly.

Last edited:
I know. I was not going for a my-penis-is-larger-than-yours with a larger number, I was showing how both loaded and empty Sprinters go quickly.

Except, you know, they don't. Dallas evaluated Sprinter 3500s for use as ambulances after their lawsuit against Ford. A fully laden one is unable to go over 60mph with the required equipment aboard and was therefore rejected for service.

An E350 or GM Safari 3500 based one has to be limited to 85mph electronically.

Last edited:
In Vancouver, some of the "Community Busses" are based on GMC Topkicks. Some of the bus drivers really make those things move. They certainly can haul ass.

Just look at the Power to weight ratio's of Euro Vans VS American Pick-ups or HD Vans.

A Sprinter has about 170hp... that's being generous and rounding up. (yes, there is one engine with 245hp, but it also has LESS torque than all the other motors and would suffer under load due to that fact)

An F350 or E350 has about 300hp and nearing 700ft-lbs of torque depending on the generation of truck.

Last edited:
Here's the comparison pictures, as requested. Here is today's meterstick, the 1996 Jaguar XJ12 X305 long wheelbase sedan. Considered a limousine in Europe and the very last year for the Jaguar V12 engine. Many Europeans have noted that they consider it quite large.

IMG_7255.JPG

Please note that it's about the size of the 'large family car' Chrysler Concorde parked behind it.

Now, due to some logistical issues, we were unable to park the XJ12 directly next to the F350, so we did the next best thing - we parked CrazyJeeper's 10th-gen F150 4WD right next to the 9th-gen F350 2WD Dually for comparison.

IMG_7256.JPG

Now, believe it or not, the 10th-gen light duty truck actually mounts a larger cab (it's longer but thinner and domed on top) and the cab roof is about 4" taller by our reckoning than the 9th-gen heavy duty. This lead to the amusing observation that the extended-cab shortbed (6.5 foot) 10th-gen is actually only about 1 foot shorter than the 9th-gen extended-cab longbed (8 foot) truck. However, the floor in the heavy-duty truck is lower, though the 10th-gen 4x4's factory suspension lift over the 4x2 versions and the resulting overall height is more or less cancelled out by the heavy's inherent greater suspension height - which means both trucks are more or less level in terms of bumper height. A 4x4 heavy duty 9th gen would be about 1-2" taller. 4x4s ride higher than 2WDs, heavies ride higher than lights.

IMG_7260.JPG

IMG_7259.JPG

IMG_7261.JPG

And now for the comparison against a vehicle that Europeans would find relatively familiar.
IMG_7245.JPG

CrazyJeeper (in this picture, sporting his tacti-cool black arm cast) is 6 foot 4 inches tall. You should be able to calculate the rest from there.

IMG_7248.JPG

IMG_7249.JPG

IMG_7251.JPG

IMG_7252.JPG

That should tell it all. The 9th-gen F350 longbed is a little longer than an X305 'limo', a little wider, and quite a bit taller. The 10th-gen F150 shortbed is about the same length, a hair wider, and a LOT taller.

We had some inquisitive company while investigating this.
IMG_7243.JPG

Last edited:
Hey that looks like my cat!

TOKI WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN TEXAS!?!?!

Nice transporter. Foldable. Neat.
I'll reply to the negativity first:

- Van?
No, because they do not fulfill my requirements, and yes I have done 6.000km in a brand spanking new Fiat Ducato during the last 3 months, and it is not pleasant.
Imagine sleeping sitting straight up after doing 1000km straight :|

- Budget,5 grand, no way in hell!
I want(ed) to have it delivered to europe for 5 grand, which is possible in theory since you can ship it for less than a grand (Ro-Ro (roll on - roll off)). Obviously, customs, VAT etc etc is going to cost another 5 grand making the total cost to get it on the road 10 grand, but that is OK.

So to summarize, no i am not crazy and I still want a F250!
requirements:
- extended/crew cab,
- long bed
- 7.3 Powerstroke diesel.
- No rust
- Mechanically good condition
- cheap-ass high ceiling "bed cap"

Found a 2001 Sierra 3500, extended cab, extended bed, double wheels and a 6.6 diesel for you. Yours for only ?19k. No rust. C-license. No idea what a bed cap is. What will you be transporting? Mushrooms? Prostitutes? Badgers?

The poweeeeeeeeeer discussion is quite funny, the last thing we want is heavy vehicles going fast. We want to get our goods to it's destination in time, in one piece, for as little money as possible. Going fast messes up the equation.

Last edited:
Except, you know, they don't. Dallas evaluated Sprinter 3500s for use as ambulances after their lawsuit against Ford. A fully laden one is unable to go over 60mph with the required equipment aboard and was therefore rejected for service.

So all of Europe is doomed to die because they all run emergency vehicles that are too slow? Right.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/09/30/rtw-drk-pforzheim1.jpg

I've seen those go quickly. Whether they had a patient on board, no idea - but that barely changes the overall weight.
BTW, the one pictured above does 154 according to the people driving it.

First of all, enough with the euro-usa crap, it is so boring, who the fuck cares, discuss it in random thoughts, not here! :mad:

Thinking outside the box:
Finding one of these in this generation (92-96) for less than $6,000 USD where you want the mileage to be less than 150k miles is not likely. Now finding one in the late 80's and up until '91 in that price range with less than 150k miles is possible. The trade off is the F250 from 87-91 doesn't have the 7.3L Powerstroke in very many models. It has a 460ci 7.5L petrol V8 in more trucks. *edit* The 7.5L V8 petrol has more power than the diesel...torque as well as bhp.

Yeah, haven't really considered the 8th gen. But they are not that much cheaper, maybe better to spend a bit more and get a more modern truck?

Actually, what exactly do you intend to do in the back? That will dictate what kind of cap will work best.

The things that required a tall roof cap is motorcycles (race-bikes), and pallets of wine.

Here's the comparison pictures, as requested.
Awesome, thanks!

It is not that big, I think the length is the only issue in Europe, specially for parking, but that is ok, I'll just take two spaces..

I am torn between extended and crew cab, but I think I'll go for the 250 instead of the 350 since its more than sufficient.

Would cruise control be to much to as for in a 9th gen. truck?

Spectre,

Isn't CrazyJeeper's truck the generation of F-150 that fared very poorly in a crash?

EDIT: Found it!

Spectre,

Isn't CrazyJeeper's truck the generation of F-150 that fared very poorly in a crash?

EDIT: Found it!

Yup, but he has the three-door and not the 'folds up like an accordion' four door extended cab. The three door cabs (only has a rear door on the passenger side) don't have that problem. The four door extended cab they made was just a bad idea.

Yeah, haven't really considered the 8th gen. But they are not that much cheaper, maybe better to spend a bit more and get a more modern truck?

The things that required a tall roof cap is motorcycles (race-bikes), and pallets of wine.

Awesome, thanks!

It is not that big, I think the length is the only issue in Europe, specially for parking, but that is ok, I'll just take two spaces..

I am torn between extended and crew cab, but I think I'll go for the 250 instead of the 350 since its more than sufficient.

Would cruise control be to much to as for in a 9th gen. truck?

Almost all 7th gen and later F-trucks will have cruise, except for some of the stripped down cheapie fleet models initially purchased and operated by local governments and utilities.

Your typical 9th gen *will* have power steering, power brakes, radio, air conditioning/heater and an underslung full-size spare. Most non-fleet ones (and indeed many fleet ones) will have an automatic, cruise, power windows, power locks, sliding rear cab window and cloth seats. There were many options available - USDM heavy duty pickup trucks have enormous laundry lists of options.

8th gens are cheaper, but the engine quality and longevity were worse. And you really don't want to try to find parts for a 460 gasser or the old 6.9 diesel over there. Heck, it's not always fun over here!

As for the topper, sounds like you will need one of the ones intended for hauling taller cargo in a protected fashion, often used by autoglass installers. I will go find out where the local firm got theirs.

Also, none of the heavy F-trucks do nearly as poorly in a crash as the light F-truck Blind linked to, so don't worry about that. Instead, they tend to plow right through whatever they hit. Including sturdy buildings.

So all of Europe is doomed to die because they all run emergency vehicles that are too slow? Right.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/09/30/rtw-drk-pforzheim1.jpg

I've seen those go quickly. Whether they had a patient on board, no idea - but that barely changes the overall weight.
BTW, the one pictured above does 154 according to the people driving it.

As previously discussed, Euro ambulances are basically empty boxes with little equipment inside, intended to rush the victim to the nearest hospital (usually only a few kilometers away). US ambulances carry 7000-10000lbs or more of gear and are designed as mobile casualty wards/emergency rooms/life support modules capable of operating beyond immediate hospital support or transporting a patient several dozen or more miles to the nearest hospital. The last time I saw a major-city US ambulance as poorly equipped as the Euro ones I've seen on my various trips, it was a documentary film from the early 1980s.

Point is, load up a Sprinter and its top speed drops considerably. Really load up a Sprinter, and you're looking at something that's borderline unsafe to drive on a highway. See this user's post.

Higher weight = lower speed. Thank you, friction. :p

Last edited:
But don't you have one of those "smaller" trucks? What is actually the kerb weight of the F-250, which seems to be the vehicle in question? Could you even fill it up fuel and passengers to its maximum occupancy before reaching 3.5t? Cos otherwise it might be necessary to remove some of the seats to legalise it.
Keeping it registered in the US would solve some of the problems, but many of the restrictions on vehicles above 3.5 t would still apply.

Nope, a Ram is a fullsize last time I checked, granted the chassis under mine is the lightest in the Ram range, its just as big as any other Ram out there (apart from the longbed version wich is, obviously.....euhrmm, longer) .
If by smaller you mean an 'original' B license, then yes.
As for the curbweight of a F250 beeing over 3.5t? so what, sure it is, so? they get weighed as they go through their initial technical inspection, that's the thing you have to cheat on, once that weight is set, it will never ,EVER get weighed again in its lifetime, like I said, 3.6t? ow well....that would be 2.6t then, nobody knows, nobody cares......happens all the time......you wouldent believe the shit yankdrives wipe theire asses on sometimes....

Anyway, back to Fords, I owned an 8the gen F150 ....... thougest sun-of-a-bitch I have ever driven, I'm talking proper oldfashion US 'lets make everything tough enough to survive a nuclear blast should the Russians attack' tough, I can't imagine how a heavy duty diesel could possibly be any thougher.......yet I am told somehow they are, get one!

Last edited:
As for the curbweight of a F250 beeing over 3.5t? so what, sure it is, so? they get weighed as they go through their initial technical inspection, that's the thing you have to cheat on, once that weight is set, it will never ,EVER get weighed again in its lifetime, like I said, 3.6t? ow well....that would be 2.6t then, nobody knows, nobody cares......happens all the time......you wouldent believe the shit yankdrives wipe theire asses on sometimes....

Amusingly, the 9th F350 (admittedly the gasser version) tips the scales at 2424kg. The diesel extended cab is, IIRC, just a shade under 2500kg, so if I'm reading this right, avanti should be fine.

Edit: Forgot the crewcab/longbed/4WD version is significantly heavier. That one is 7100lbs or 3220kg full of fluids and ready to rock. If your upper limit for vehicle weight on your regular license is 3500kg, you should still be fine.

Anyway, back to Fords, I owned an 8the gen F150 ....... thougest sun-of-a-bitch I have ever driven, I'm talking proper oldfashion US 'lets make everything tough enough to survive a nuclear blast should the Russians attack' tough, I can't imagine how a heavy duty diesel could possibly be any thougher.......yet I am told somehow they are, get one!

We took all the parts on the F-150 and make them bigger and tougher on the 250 and 350. :D Have to, people do this with them:
Hay057.jpg

Each one of those bales weighs an average of about 100lbs (or 45kg). Observe that the truck's stance is basically unchanged and that it barely seems to notice the trailer. (For those that can't figure it out, each layer of that except the top is about 2000lbs. Five full size layers, so that's 10,000lbs, plus another lets say 1300 with the top layer and another 2500 for the trailer itself. 13800lb/6259kg trailer load with at a guesstimate. That means it's probably about 2070lbs/938kg tongue weight, not insignificant. It's all on a bumper hitch; the truck will barely notice the trailer at all.)

Last edited:
That one is 7100lbs or 3220kg full of fluids and ready to rock. If your upper limit for vehicle weight on your regular license is 3500kg, you should still be fine.

If he is on an EU class B license then his upper limit is 3.5t maximum gross weight, not empty weight - 3.2t empty will be over 3.5t just with passengers :cry: so it will be hard to get that below 3.5t in the papers.
He might have an older license pre-EU classes, he might have an EU C1/C1E/C/CE license. In both those cases he would (probably) be fine.

Amusingly, the 9th F350 (admittedly the gasser version) tips the scales at 2424kg. The diesel extended cab is, IIRC, just a shade under 2500kg, so if I'm reading this right, avanti should be fine.

Edit: Forgot the crewcab/longbed/4WD version is significantly heavier. That one is 7100lbs or 3220kg full of fluids and ready to rock. If your upper limit for vehicle weight on your regular license is 3500kg, you should still be fine.

Actualy the upper limit is indeed 3500kg, but that means the maximum weight for the given vehicle you want to drive ,even if it is empty at the time you want to drive it, meaning in the F350's case, its 3220kg 'ready to rock' weight as you put it, + 6 passengers (80kg each), + the actual payload capacity.......yes Europe is that retarded overregulated, regular licence? go drive an Astra.

edit : narf beat me to it.

people do this with them:
I did that to my F150........granted the stance changed a little :p

You're free to get any C* license.

Yeah......I did.
But on second thought, maybee our stricter systhem isent so much of a bad thing, I see the dumb shit some people pull in underpowered 1100kg leafblowerengined lunchboxes all day , every day.......
Realy wouldent want that lot to start driving round in +3000kg vehicles to be honest.

But on second thought, maybee our stricter systhem isent so much of a bad thing, I see the dumb shit some people pull in underpowered 1100kg leafblowerengined lunchboxes all day , every day.......
Realy wouldent want that lot to start driving round in +3000kg vehicles to be honest.

:nod: :clap:

With a special commercial license required you could also hope that drivers secure their load properly, so we don't see stuff like this on our roads:

IMG_7261.JPG

To not only mock the Americans,

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/09/30/Unfall_LKW.jpg

Last edited: