The Android thread

Ice_warmer?

Seriously?

Good thing I identify people by avatar, I didn't even notice <_<

Given the option to upgrade my Hero to an Evo or Epic, I'd do either in a heartbeat. I'd stick with HTC and get the Evo personally but for me there's no comparison, the Hero is very slow compared to the new competition... though I appreciate guys like CyanogenMod keeping it modern.

Last edited:
Given the option to upgrade my Hero to an Evo or Epic, I'd do either in a heartbeat. I'd stick with HTC and get the Evo personally but for me there's no comparison, the Hero is very slow compared to the new competition... though I appreciate guys like CyanogenMod keeping it modern.

Your not wrong about the hero. I went from a hero to a desire, best move ever!

I don't think it's easy to change the casing

I have a demo saw, a plasma cutter and a small screw driver I think I could get it done!

Me likey the white!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=794638

Custom splash screen FTW.

And for all your US finalgear users:

g2-radio-shack-flyer1.jpg

Last edited:
Good thing I identify people by avatar, I didn't even notice <_<

Your not wrong about the hero. I went from a hero to a desire, best move ever!

Cyanogen 6 makes the hero finally useful. I swore by swype for a long time just cause the hero was so slow to flip sideways. With CM6+launcher pro I can use a normal keyboard and actually like my phone. I'm still tempted to keep it but I think I'm gonna go for the evo and buy a seido 3500mah battery for it.

Oh and to help avoid damaging the USB connector I'm gonna do this mod, I attempted it on my hero, but the spots to solder to on the hero are EXTREMELY hard to access without affecting other things.

Speaking of slow flipping sideways my stock Froyo Droid has issues sometimes when I'm on my home screen and I open my phone. It takes ~5 seconds on average for my shortcuts and everything to show back up. Before I upgraded I never had this issue.

Cyanogen 6 makes the hero finally useful. I swore by swype for a long time just cause the hero was so slow to flip sideways. With CM6+launcher pro I can use a normal keyboard and actually like my phone. I'm still tempted to keep it but I think I'm gonna go for the evo and buy a seido 3500mah battery for it.

Oh and to help avoid damaging the USB connector I'm gonna do this mod, I attempted it on my hero, but the spots to solder to on the hero are EXTREMELY hard to access without affecting other things.

Really? I hardly notice any performance difference. The Froyo features are great, but straight-up speed hasn't improved at all. Orientation switching is still laggy too (though I am using the ADW that it shipped with). To be fair I'm still on the RC...

I notice a speed increase from ADW to LP as well.

Is there an easy way to forgo all these launchers and just use the stock interface? I've never even tried it so I can't exactly say it needs replacing.

Phones are supposed to have stock and added launchers, but only the earlier versions. If you go into settings --> applications --> manage applications and clear the defaults, cache and force stop the launcher (Sense on HTC phones, TouchWiz on Samsung, Motoblur on Motorolas), you should get the choice window when pressing the home button. If that doesn't happen, the only way would be to install an AOSP rom for your device. Easier to just run LauncherPro, it's just about stock and the next full version will be written from scratch to be even faster and more optimised.

I've downloaded it, but some of the bug reports have me alittle worried. I prefer OpenDesire atm.

Hmm, what I want is all the HTC apps (Messages, contacts, etc), but with the stock Android Home screens. I also want something good on battery.

I get a day or more depending on usage. But I'm not 24/7 wifi etc.

nsx_23: Sense contacts will only work if Sense itself is running. Otherwise you don't get groups. I've tried this.

I store all my contacts on SIM, its just that the HTC people app is more nicely laid-out.

Defrost seems popular on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=690477

Speaking of which, how do you access SIM contacts in stock Android? When I go to vanilla builds I can't for the life of me figure out how to access SIM contacts. I prefer having all my contacts on SIM.

Last edited: