The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

9am6x.jpg

Have you ever been so angry you flipped someone off from within an airplane?

Maybe the ground crew have told him to remove the nose wheel chock himself? :rolleyes:

Also, a friend gave me a "remove before flight" keychain \o/ it looks awesome on my car keys when in ignition \o/

Same as:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/10/04/REMOVE_keytag.jpg

Welcome to the club.

The E-2 Hawkeye turned 50. Not many carrier aircraft have been around that long.

http://steeljawscribe.com/2010/10/05/a-golden-anniversary-the-hawkeye-at-50

By any measure, fifty years is remarkable. Birthdays, reunions, wedding anniversaries ? in all of these the marker set at fifty years is justifiably prominent and noteworthy.

For aircraft ? especially those in carrier aviation, it is signatory.

This month the E-2 Hawkeye will celebrate 50 years, starting with the first flight of the prototype, the YW2F-1 (BuNo 148147) on 21 October 1960. That was the start of a run of aircraft that looks to continue well into the first quarter of the 21st Century in the form of the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. From that first flight through today, the Hawkeye has shared the flight deck with the A-4, A-6, A-7,C-1, EA-3B, EKA-3B, EA-6A, F-4, F-8, F-14, KA-6, S-2, S-3, and WF/E-1B ? all of which are now sitting in boneyards. It currently shares real estate with a variety of Hornets, the soon to be replaced EA-6B Prowler and the venerable COD and first cousin, C-2A(R) Greyhound. Still to come are the F-35 and UCAV-N. Such longevity is testimony as much to the inherent flexibility of the original design as it is to budgetary realities and bureaucratic bias.

W2F-1_NAN2-611.jpg

070216-N-3729H-102-1024x731.jpg

A great Smithsonian article on the Hawkeye.

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/18694204.html

qzrSd.jpg

Good day to you sir.

:lol: awesome

I just saw a Piaggio fly over my house, btw. It was departing and pretty high already but golly it was loud for a prop plane. They're quiet on the inside, though, no? What with the sound all being behind you and all.

qzrSd.jpg

Good day to you sir.

Piper PA-28 taking off and a Crane* ready to line up.

:)

(* ID by Jay)

I just saw a Piaggio fly over my house, btw. It was departing and pretty high already but golly it was loud for a prop plane. They're quiet on the inside, though, no? What with the sound all being behind you and all.

Yes, they are noisy little ***kers.

Scooter engines or maybe just because they are Italian! :p

The f-16E block 60's operated by the UAE are kinda weird looking with those conformal fuel tanks.

1354563.jpg

The f-16E block 60's operated by the UAE are kinda weird looking with those conformal fuel tanks.

The F-16 has gotten fat and ugly in its middle age (CTF's and the added sensors), much like the A-4 before it.

seabird%20aviation-thumb-450x360-45808.jpg

88cc03fa-a262-40eb-9483-46ae4d104e42.Large.jpg

Aussie aviation FTMFW.

Just noticed this at Lake Hood on streetview. :lol:

axCtz.jpg

Who the hell is insane enough to go up in the air in something Italian?

"oh look, another random electrical fire" :p

I :heart: the look of Beavers with their rugged simplicity, especially with the radial engines. If I had to fly somewhere in one, I would prefer to travel in the Turbo. :lol:

Harrison Ford has a Beaver. That alone makes it awesome IMO.

and:

airfoil.png

:lol:

It's the Concordeski!

Airbus has some weird landing gear layouts:

Virgin.atlantic.a340-600.g-vyou.arp.jpg

791px-Farnborough_air_show_2006_a380_landing.jpg