Unveiled: Aston Martin Cygnet

You know if all those little shit cans looked like this maybe I would not hate them so much. Still, I'm having a real hard time picturing someone standing next to one and proudly proclaiming "It's an Aston Martin", without dying inside a little.

89_Lagonda.JPG

8057_45fd_390.jpeg

Oh Cowboy, you could stick it in the back of your truck and use it in case of emergency.

Oh Cowboy, you could stick it in the back of your truck and use it in case of emergency.

For the kind of money they will no doubt be wanting for that thing you can buy something alot more fun then a tarted up toyota I won't be able to get into whithout having to dislocate my own neck :p

Last edited:
I feel certain this car is aimed at Aston Martin owners with a sense of humor.

"Hey son, I got you an Aston as your first car."

Last edited:
I still dont get why people freak out about this. They found a way to cheat the emission system for almost no cost to them and they get to keep making V12 super cars. As long as the V12's stay I am happy. As for the Porsche 918 comparison. First god knows how much they spent to make it, and secondly it is a replacement for the supercar not something that allows them to keep making them (though I do like the 918, I just wish they would sell it sans the battery ect)

You're missing the point. The batteries are there so you can date a hot treehugger model chick, simply saying "it's a hybrid, dear". :lol: (later to switch to full race mode, scaring her to death)

Last edited:

Cheaper than a Cygnet.

Not in Australia. :( mid-90s DB7s still fetch up to AUD$100k (about USD$100k) here. Mainly because of the bullshit laws against private vehicle imports :mad:

Meanwhile, back on topic ... I actually kinda like the Cygnet. Mainly because it's utterly ridiculous. Much like the Lagonda, only way at the other end of the scale.

Aston Martin Cygnet launch editions

car_photo_418720_7.jpg

Aston Martin confirms details of its Toyota iQ based city car. It costs three times as much...
Aston Martin has officially launched its Cygnet city car. Based on the titchy Toyota iQ, it?s a big departure from the V12 supercars and continent-crushing GTs we?re used to from Aston, and the controversy it has caused among car enthusiasts has reflected this.

Rather than being designed as a sales-grabbing supermini to rival the Mini Cooper, Fiat 500 et al, it is ? for now at least ? effectively an optional extra to select when buying an Aston Martin coupe, saloon or roadster, to serve as a second car. Its bespoke nature and price reflect this ? a standard Cygnet costs ?30,995 while the Snow White and Magic Black launch editions pictured here are ?39,995, more than three times as much as an equivalent iQ, which weighs in at ?12,515.

The Cygnet does get 100 hours of ?handcrafting? at Aston Martin?s Gaydon facility though, with work centring around producing a more luxurious interior (complete with its own five-piece luggage set in the launch cars) and ?Astoning? up the exterior, with styling flourishes from the company?s sports cars, including the more dramatic grille, some faux bonnet vents and diamond turned alloy wheels. The iQ?s 97bhp 1.33-litre engine remains untouched and can be mated to six-speed manual or CVT automatic gearbox options. 0-62mph takes 11.8sec and the top speed is a modest 106mph.

The target is to sell around 1500 Cygnets annually in Europe, and Aston says it has already received 200 orders, with a further 600 sales leads. Order books are open now, and deliveries begin in April.

So... Buy an iQ then wait for someone to make a knock off body kit and save almost 20,000 quid?

It's been at Harrod's for at least 4 months now. You can even talk to a sales rep and sign up for ownership details! Deliveries start mid this year.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/01/23/IMAG0435.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blaro/2011/01/23/IMAG0436.jpg

I still think they should have called it the Turdlet.

I understand the need for this car, what with the new average fuel economy standards going into place. But it got me thinking. Couldn't car companies sell all their cars under one make, but just change the model names? For example, Ferrari is owned by Fiat. So couldn't Fiat sell all it's cars under the Fiat name? Like:

Make: Fiat
Model: Ferrari 458 Italia

Nothing would change except the paperwork. The cars themselves wouldn't need to carry the Fiat badge. Or would that not work?

I understand the need for this car, what with the new average fuel economy standards going into place. But it got me thinking. Couldn't car companies sell all their cars under one make, but just change the model names? For example, Ferrari is owned by Fiat. So couldn't Fiat sell all it's cars under the Fiat name? Like:

Make: Fiat
Model: Ferrari 458 Italia

Nothing would change except the paperwork. The cars themselves wouldn't need to carry the Fiat badge. Or would that not work?

Aston doesn't have a big parent with fuel-efficient cars, so that wouldn't help them.

They could have at least stuck a small turbo on it. This is just a Toyota now with a fancy badge.

They could have at least stuck a small turbo on it. This is just a Toyota now with a fancy badge.

Even if the stuck a turbo on it or massaged the engine it would still be a Toyota with a fancy badge.