The Android thread

Been playing with my new EVO for the past couple of days. This thing is more of a small tablet than a large phone. After trying to use my CDMA Hero to pull certain settings out of I couldn't believe I could ever use that tiny thing. Still love it though.
Anyone in the US/Canada let me know if you're interested in buying it ;)

This thing is more of a small tablet than a large phone. After trying to use my CDMA Hero to pull certain settings out of I couldn't believe I could ever use that tiny thing.

That was totally my experience going from a 3.2" Samsung Omnia to the 4.3" HD2. Nothing else compares, even 3.7 inch screens look tiny in comparison.

Edit: Going to sign up for 3G (even though I'll only get 2G) and I'm wondering what the easiest way is to track my inbound/outbound data usage?

Last edited:
There's apps. I use dodol's phoneusage, some people use 3g watchdog. Both sit permanently in your notification bar and present you scary numbers.

I seem to recall Android uses the highest amount of data.

Just tried upgrading to the "unofficial official Froyo release for Samsung Captivate". It is rumored to be the final release that will go OTA later in the year/early next year.

That said, it didn't seem to work. It uses Odin to load it. Is it really supposed to take like 6+ hours to do the download? Not sure if I have a corrupted file or what. Once it is done downloading, it goes to the "ATT World Phone" splash screen and hangs there indefinitely. It started out as a completely unaltered stock phone (not rooted or any of that stuff at all), so no Voodo lagfix issues or such to get in the way. Looked through the XDA, but both the thread about this and the one about Odin are like 151 pages long and its hard to find info in them.

I'm currently flashing it back to stock 2.1. If that works, I'll try to upgrade again. Just not sure if I'm doing it right. Most are reporting that it definitely speeds the phone up, helps with the GPS issues a bunch, and is definitely a good upgrade. Not quite the power house it was expected to be, but still a definite upgrade.

Last edited:
A rom is supposed to be about 100mb and flash in a matter of minutes.

Not sure what the issue is then. I'm trying using my lap top instead of my desktop, just for the hell of it. The stock one is downloading just as slow. Weird thing is, after 6-7 hours of Downloading it does eventually say "pass" on Odin, so its clearly doing something. Hopefully using a different computer will help. As it sits, the phone is bricked though, which is no fun.

I never used Odin, don't even know what it is. I just use clockworkmod recovery and rom manager.

Oh, just noticed I got my App Inventor Invite back on the 9th....YAY

Edit - And it doesn't work!

Last edited:
I never used Odin, don't even know what it is. I just use clockworkmod recovery and rom manager.

Odin is a "one click downloader/flasher" that essentially provides a package deal that has everything you need to flash an upgrade, return it to stock, or unbrick a phone if you mess something up. Each one is specific to what you are trying to install (go back to stock, do an aftermarket ROM, etc).You start the program on a computer, and put the phone in download mode, plug the USB in and once the phone is detected click Start and it does everything for you. In my case, getting it into download mode means pulling the battery, reinstalling it, holding both the up and down volume button simultaneously, and pluging the USB in. This brings up a splash screen with the Android dude shoveling on a construction style sign.

So with my desktop, it took at least 6 hours to do what it needed to do, but you could see the status bar creep forward, and it eventually said "pass" or "succesfully completed". Unfortunately after that it just stuck on the white ATT opening screen. Tried going back to stock but that didn't do any better.

Finally tried it on my laptop, which worked like a charm and installed the ATT Froyo release that will be coming in the near to middle future.

Odin is really cool, and makes me feel a bit better about doing upgrades to my phone. It is a "get out of jail free" card for anything minus actual hardware failure, since it can do its thing from a completely dead/bricked state.

I see. From your description, it looks like Rom Manager is a lot simpler.

Odin is useful in the fact that it can recover Galaxy S phones from full bricks (Computer ! Phone logo/symbol).

Finally updated to Cyanogen 6 after running the RC for too long because I was lazy. Benchmark results are about the same but the interface is much snappier in general.

I see. From your description, it looks like Rom Manager is a lot simpler.

Maybe, I haven't used ROM manager. My description isn't very good, since Odin is VERY simple to use. Open Odin, put it in download mode, click start.....and its done. Its all encapsulated in a single .exe file too.

Have to say that while there are some nice changes with Froyo, its not heads over heels better then 2.1 was. That might be due to touchwiz and other stuff, and the fact its still an unofficial release. It is a bit snappier and opens programs faster, so that is nice. Might try one of the other Captivate specific ROMS in a little while, but for now I am happy.

So I'm thinking about rooting my phone because even with Froyo it has some weird slowdown issues that never happened with 2.1. Now, the question is, did they ever release a rootkit or whatever for 2.2 Droids? I haven't really looked into it but it could be a fun project for the weekend.

The point of Froyo is not extra features, but mostly the JIT compiler, which makes the CPU about 4x as fast. Run some benchmarks, like linpack and see for yourself. You should be getting about 40 mflops now as opposed to 6-8 before.

I want Froyo for the GMail app.

:p

Last edited: