The Gun thread

drag.jpg

Just a little thing my friend picked up yesterday.

#28 out of 100 imported by Big Bear Arms. It is just....awesome.

I've been thinking about buying a gun as a sort of investment. I've got $2,000 from a student loan refund, and that money will be due in approx 4 years. I figure I can make money on that money in the meantime (especially considering the ridiculously low student loan interest rate) One of the avenues I was considering was buying a gun with around half of that money, while investing the rest. Here are the few that I have in mind:

Quality romanian PSL. Obviously the cheapest of these three, and consequently probably not going to go up in value much, if at all, in the coming years. Maybe if I find a rare one. I like this route, because I love the AK platform, and aside from the real-deal SVD, it's the coolest varient in my eyes.

FN FAL. My friend has a SAR-48 in really good shape, with all foreign parts, that he will sell me for just $700 + ammo. I've shot the gun and I love it. FAL's seem to be going steadily up in value these days.

PTR-91. I love love love the G3 platform. This is the most expensive of the three, but it is also the most accurate, and possibly the coolest to me (i love the roller-delay-blowback of course)

So what do you guys think? Good idea? If so, which of these three would be the best to buy for around $1000 (quite a bit less for the PSL)

I'd get the FAL. The PSL isn't any more accurate and has less support, plus if they converted it to fire the 54R round, you can't buy ammo for it at Walmart. The PTR-91 has cheaper mags, but it can be a pain in the ass to clean and it's not problem free. I'd also mention that you've not had luck with the roller-delay system you have.

Also, the SAR-48 is one of the more rare units imported plus it's worth a lot more than $700 in good shape. It also has an enormous aftermarket and vast support, something the G3 doesn't quite match.

Darpa's Self-Aiming "One Shot" Sniper Rifle Scheduled for Next Year

A sniper crouches near an open window and zooms in on his target, who sits a half-mile away. He peers through a scope and holds his breath, preparing to squeeze the trigger. But it?s windy outside, and he can't afford a miss. What to do?

A new DARPA-funded electro-optical system will calculate the ballistics for him, telling him where to aim and ensuring a perfect shot, no matter the weather conditions.

Lockheed Martin won a $6.9 million contract this week for the second phase of DARPA?s One-Shot system, which will provide direct observations of a target, measure every variable that influences a bullet?s flight, and calculate the aim offset in a sniper?s rifle scope.

During the project?s first phase, which started in 2007, Lockheed developed a down-range system that measured average crosswind; range to target; spotter scope position; air temperature, pressure, and humidity; and more, according to Military Aerospace. Using all those variables, it calculated the ballistics for a .308 bullet at ranges as far as 3,600 feet.

While that?s impressive, the system was too heavy and unwieldy, and it couldn?t be used with standard rifle scopes. The phase two design will be more compact and able to operate in real time and over longer distances.

It will measure atmospheric conditions, account for the weapon?s maximum effective range and include GPS coordinates. It?s also supposed to communicate with the rifle scope, informing the gun itself of the aim point offset and expected crosswind.

Lockheed is supposed to deliver 15 field-testable prototypes by next October.

[Military Aerospace]

I thought such systems (such as Cheytech's) were already being used?

I'd get the FAL. The PSL isn't any more accurate and has less support, plus if they converted it to fire the 54R round, you can't buy ammo for it at Walmart. The PTR-91 has cheaper mags, but it can be a pain in the ass to clean and it's not problem free. I'd also mention that you've not had luck with the roller-delay system you have.

Also, the SAR-48 is one of the more rare units imported plus it's worth a lot more than $700 in good shape. It also has an enormous aftermarket and vast support, something the G3 doesn't quite match.

Will the PSL meet or exceed the FAL's accuracy?

Have we had a "Post your favorite gun" discussion in here yet?

RULES: The firearm must either be owned by you or have been owned by you in the past.

These are just my favorites:

Rifle: Henry .44 Magnum. Needs a bit of polish on the brass, I'll get to that this weekend. I haven't fired it in a while because .44 ammo is so damned expensive. This was my late father's rifle and it means a great deal to me.

http://img259.imageshack.**/img259/1855/dsc0201j.jpg

Pistols: Smith and Wesson .38 Special with a heavy sight rail, competition sights and a competition trigger. I love this pistol!
Colt 1911 (back before the name Colt was sold off a half dozen times) modified for target shooting with a heavy slide, competition sights, and competition seer. My grandfather shot this pistol in competition. The real beauty is back at my mom's right now, it's a similar setup but has been chambered to fire a .38 special wadcutter round instead of a .45 ball.

http://img826.imageshack.**/img826/230/dsc0202h.jpg

I have other firearms, including my Springfield 1911 MicroCompact for carry, but these are my favorites.

I really want to get a Springfield M1A, but I can't afford it.

Will the PSL meet or exceed the FAL's accuracy?

Out of the box, it might meet it. Exceed it, no. And you can make the FAL more accurate with relative ease. See the DSArms website for interesting things you can put on your FAL.

Have we had a "Post your favorite gun" discussion in here yet?

Yes, back when the thread started. :D

The real beauty is back at my mom's right now, it's a similar setup but has been chambered to fire a .38 special wadcutter round instead of a .45 ball.

.38 Super != .38 Special. :p .38 Super actually uses a 9mm projectile (.355) and is descended from the 9x23SR/.38 Auto (not to be confused with the .380 Auto) round.

Last edited:
Yes, back when the thread started. :D

Yes, but this time Blind_Io suggested

RULES: The firearm must either be owned by you or have been owned by you in the past.

So it?s not exactly the same.
I can?t contribute because I never owned a firearm. :(

I am new to cleaning my own guns and have a question of how clean is clean? I started with a couple of passes with a solvent covered patch, then a copper brush, then a couple solvent covered patches, then copper brush, so on and so on. My problem is that each time I do a copper pass through it comes out as dirty as my first pass through. This image is the progression of 5 patches after a copper pass through. What do I look for when clean is clean? Should the first patch after a copper brush be clean or the 2nd or 3rd? I am cleaning a Winchester Model 62.
P1040424.jpg

When a dry patch run through comes out clean and there is no sign of leading or fouling left, it's clean, essentially. It can sometimes take quite a few patches and passes to do it; this is why the bore snake is a very popular cleaning tool.

The last patch on that picture was a dry patch, so it looks like it still needs more cleaning? That was after 7 repetitions of brushing and a few patches to follow each brush pass through. Is there a certain number of passes I should make with the copper brush or number of patches to use before repeating the cycle? I have been doing 10 strokes with the brush and then 4-5 patches. I am using Hoppe's No 9 Solvent if that makes a difference, people seem to have their favorites.

Last edited:
So, if I ever go to Texas, Utah or any other place you gun nuts live, is there some kind of shooting gallery or something that I can rent guns and try out the classics, like Magnun .44, .50AE, etc?
If there is such a place, how expensive is it?

I've wanted to go to the Scottsdale Gun Club to rent a few guns to test out, but I never got around to it.

http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/

They have various handgun rentals for $15 an hour, although it doesn't look like they have any .44 magnums or desert eagles. BUT they do have machine gun rentals. They start at $55 an hour, but can get up to $125 an hour. Looks like fun though. I thought I heard they had a Humvee with a .50 machine gun mounted on top that they take people out in, but I don't see it on the website.

Nice collection they got there.
And I know the P90 is a hyped-up gun, but oh how do I want to shoot with it...

I haven't fired it in a while because .44 ammo is so damned expensive.
Invest in reloading equipment. Not only is it cheaper in the long run but you can fine-tune your loads to match your style of shooting.