Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I like to park in the corners of the roof of the parking garage at school. Those spots are partially shaded by a tin roof the university threw on to camouflage the fact that it's a big ol' garage. On one side of these spaces is a wall supporting said roof and on the other side, a support beam that takes up a nice, wide chunk of space. Other students can't park close enough on either side to ding your car. Yay!

Off in another corner opposite my car today was a black Lancer Ralliart version of the same body style as mine. (Where were those hiding when I had to get a new car, hmm?!) o hai, evil twin. Lulz.

I guess these corner spots are where the bungholes with Lancers park, then? :p

On Friday I parked next to a 2003-2005 Lancer in the parking garage. (It was the only spot left on the second floor since I decided to waste time and get coffee.) My boyfriend and I compared it side by side and noticed it was practically the same, but the Lancer looked more solid. (Lower trunk too of course, and it didn't look bad unlike mine) But what was a bit surprising is that the interior was exactly the same, even the same color as mine. o-o

It would've been funny if the person with the Lancer had left before I did, I'm sure it would've been kinda lulzy for them maybe.

speed_12.jpg

I forgot how awesome TVR was/is.

Ha. They call that an oxcart suspension. What a joke. Here is a true sportsman's oxcart suspension:

Nothing wrong with oxcart suspension.......it's been working fine for 100+ years, if it aint broken don't fix it! And bring back 8tracks dammit! , and vinly roofs!, and steamtrains! :p

I'l be on my porch......

Last edited:
Looks like the Germans miss the S-Type

02-wiesmann-coupe-proto-cp-sept.jpg

:puke:

Speaking of Germans:

[video=youtube;pJ-DEi1LP50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-DEi1LP50[/video]

Somehow I think the above isn't typical.

Last edited:
:lol:

http://www.ebuga.co.uk/triumph-spitfire/reviews/

Review Triumph Spitfire 1.3 Manual 1970
Key strengths: Reliable starter, hardy
Areas for improvement: Noisy cabin

This is the kind of car that you buy not because you need a car to drive around, but because you just felt in love with it. It's not comfortable, it doesn't go fast, but it always start and destroy any wall of snow.

The cabin is very noisy and it is hard to ear the passenger in the back.

I never put more than 200$ a year to repair mainly the brake pads or a oil check-up. That's probably why the motor explode, but having pay 2500$ and having it for 5 years I guess this is what you call a good deal.

The running costs for Triumph Spitfire 1.3 Manual are low

Good old willful blindness on the part of a British car owner. :lol:

In all seriousness, the Spitfire engine would have blown up even if he'd fed it synthetic oil and changed it daily. Those things were miserably bad.

Also, someone must have retrofitted some other starter to it, because the original Lucas starter in the thing was notoriously bad and died if you looked at it funny. Or any time there was a Y in the name of the day. :p

Last edited:
Saw a whole convoy of lowriders with hydraulics drive down the street. You really don't have an idea of how stupid they are till you see them in person. One of them was doing the 'dog taking a wee' 3 wheel thing. Another one thought that it'd be a good idea to do the same thing while going around a corner, and ended up scraping the outside edge of his rear bumper on the pavement. A Lincoln Town Car drove up the street bouncing. And all of them look so silly on their tiny wire wheels.

BTW, this is the 'dog taking a wee' thing I'm talking about.
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/10/12/lowrider_21.jpg

Idunno, Some lowriders are cool.

But others are super lame. It's all about how the car is done up.

but they're sooooo easy to replace the oil on!!

I've been looking at cars on eBay, the thought of selling the Series and getting something more comfortable with better fuel economy keeps popping into my head, but could I really part with it? And what would I buy?

I really like the E28 5 Series and mid-80s 520is are cheap, but won't get me much more per gallon and will jack up my insurance. A diesel Discovery or Freelander would also be viable alternatives, but both are a bit plain and would have the same problems as the BMW. I'd like to get to more long distance events over the next couple of years (like rally GB and maybe even a ringmeet) but couldn't face them with the Series doing about 18mpg. I need to decide if the ?1300 I plan to spend on a new DSLR over the next year would be better spent on a car.

Anyone have any thoughts on that? The whole situation keeps playing on my mind.

Last edited:
I've been looking at cars on eBay, the thought of selling the Series and getting something more comfortable with better fuel economy keeps popping into my head, but could I really part with it? And what would I buy?

I really like the E28 5 Series and mid-80s 520is are cheap, but won't get me much more per gallon and will jack up my insurance. A diesel Discovery or Freelander would also be viable alternatives, but both are a bit plain and would have the same problems as the BMW. I'd like to get to more long distance events over the next couple of years (like rally GB and maybe even a ringmeet) but couldn't face them with the Series doing about 18mpg. I need to decide if the ?1300 I plan to spend on a new DSLR over the next year would be better spent on a car.

I'll buy it from you for $20k USD. That's around 5 pounds over there.

Have you thought about buying a cheap e30? or a Mini or something and keeping the LR?
The best of both worlds?

There are cheap Minis?

On Friday I parked next to a 2003-2005 Lancer in the parking garage. (It was the only spot left on the second floor since I decided to waste time and get coffee.) My boyfriend and I compared it side by side and noticed it was practically the same, but the Lancer looked more solid. (Lower trunk too of course, and it didn't look bad unlike mine) But what was a bit surprising is that the interior was exactly the same, even the same color as mine. o-o

It would've been funny if the person with the Lancer had left before I did, I'm sure it would've been kinda lulzy for them maybe.
Haha, the older models did look pretty old-school.

(This still doesn't keep me from wanting an earlier Evo, dang it.)

Yeah apparently it is true. They have a better antenna by far though. Mine's a wobbly long antenna that otherwise is just garbage on any other mirage without a roof rack to hold it down. One of my old high school friends has an '03 Lancer Evo, he loveeeeees the car a lot. I was like (do want kind of). Considering he was driving a Ford Exploder and his other car was an old Jeep that was basically a roll-cage with seats and a steering wheel.

Yes, aftermarket roof racks do eat up your paint when you put them on the car. It really scrapes into the paint to get it to stay on and not slide around.

There are cheap Minis?

Well, cheap ish.

A decent one can be had for just over $5000 here, so I'm assuming in britan they can be had for less, since there are a good number of them over there.

Saw a whole convoy of lowriders with hydraulics drive down the street. You really don't have an idea of how stupid they are till you see them in person. One of them was doing the 'dog taking a wee' 3 wheel thing. Another one thought that it'd be a good idea to do the same thing while going around a corner, and ended up scraping the outside edge of his rear bumper on the pavement. A Lincoln Town Car drove up the street bouncing. And all of them look so silly on their tiny wire wheels.

But, but I like lowriders......:(

I prefer the clean looking ones without garish graphics and paintjobs though.

Last edited:
I live about 2 miles from the freeway. Why does this matter?

Every morning at about 5am, and again around 3pm, I can hear a STOCK E92 M3 V8 get down shift at the light prior to the on-ramp and then scream through 2nd getting on it. That car is properly loud when it needs to be.