iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

Mr. Myers is blabbing again:

Steve Myers said:
I have not posted the schedule yet because we have signed another official partner and we are waiting to announce that. It will hopefully happen tomorrow but most likely Thursday.

We actually might get a second terrific partner with one of our series but that's going to come down to the wire.

Last season I asked for the community to give me feedback on the schedule and as I always try and do I like to keep things as similar as possible for two seasons at a time to help you out with your wallets.

I have made some changes to some of the series that are thin on participation as those series have a core group that "manage" the series to increase participation.

I will poll the community again for Season 1 of 2011 on what changes we should make for the next two seasons.

Some quick highlights for next season.

IndyCar is going to move to class B
Radical is moving in with the Corvette open setup series
NASCAR B open and fixed and NASCAR A will have some tweaks to follow real world schedule
Mazda MX-5 Cup and Roadster will be the new rookie road series in the same class
Solstice and SRF will be a mixed class series at advanced road
Launching a class A series with FW31
Launching a fun series with the FW31 at Zandvoort, Silverstone, Laguna and lime rock that runs every day.
Launching a fun series with the cup car at dega, daytona and charlotte that runs every day.

As soon as the press release hits the wire this week for our new partnership I will post the schedule. It's an exciting deal.

Steve

I knew they'd see wisdom and put the Solstice in with the SRF. That's gonna be a ball.

I wonder who the new partner is? My bet is Grand-Am. Look at the info so far. The Radical is leaving the company of the Daytona Prototype and bedding in with the Corvette. This is just begging for the inclusion of a Rolex GT car, which would be a good thing to announce with the Grand Am partnership. Grand-Am is also part of NASCAR now, which has a big stake in iRacing at the moment.

Also, a while ago, in a thread discussing ALMS cars, one of the staff suggested that they had plans for something like that (multi-make, multi-class racing). I'll try to find the post. Feel free to speculate wildly in the meantime.

Eric Hudec said:
We might have something coming down the line that fits what you guys are talking about [American Le Mans]. But that is the only hint you are getting...

Last edited:
Ooo can't wait for the Advanced rookie SRF/Solstice class. That should be interesting. I still wish they would do a mixed series where the cars have a different speed differential. Of course, those races would need to be almost enduro.. so I don't know.

Oooo I might have a reason to go back to the SRF. This season is going to be quite busy. My main series will be the Star Mazda, but the little mazda, the mixed class, and maybe even the Williams (fun class though) will be on my list as well.

I'm dead set keen on running the Williams! Should be a blast. I had a few runs at the Glenn in the Dallara and that was exciting until I binned it lol. Still. I'm keen to run as much as possible next season. Does this mean the prototype is going to be running solo now? I'll be sad because that was really a brilliant series. I've had so much fun in those races. Even though the hour 20 tracks were at my least favourite (Daytona road and Brands Hatch) and the shortest races were at my favourite (Watkins).

Hopefully the schedule will be good for the Williams. I have high hopes.

I think during week 13, I'll up my license to a B. Getting tired of yellow. I was thinking about the Skippy.. or Star Mazda.. I don't know which. The Mazda will be a bigger learning curve for me.. not only in setup, but in driving. The Skippy is just fun, especially when you get it so you steer with the rear of the car. I'll probably get the Williams, just because. Can't use it, but for the lulz.

V8 supercar. If you want to steer with the rear of the car, this is the car for you :)

I'm always off the pace because the quick guys are seriously quick or have awesome setups. I'm not sure which.

Whats weird is that, when I started iRacing, I was way more interesting in production/tin top racing. I had no intention of ever getting the Skippy/SM/Lotus/Dallara cars. None. So now I'm placing, and I can drive the open-wheel cars, but so far, can't drive the tin tops. The Solstice I am mediocre, and I can get the Mustang to handle for crap.

Why is mixed class such an excitement? Specially when one of the cars is so much faster than the other? It just means more crashes, honestly... when a Solstice doesn't yield properly.

And did I hear Formula 1 in Lime Rock? What will be the lap times, 21 seconds? :D

Why is mixed class such an excitement? Specially when one of the cars is so much faster than the other? It just means more crashes, honestly... when a Solstice doesn't yield properly.

And did I hear Formula 1 in Lime Rock? What will be the lap times, 21 seconds? :D

If the two cars have a great speed differential, you get to the point where the faster cars can use the slower cars to either lose or catch up to the next place. Its just a level of unpredictability that I find fascinating. Thats one of the things I like about Grand Am and ALMS. If the two cars are of similar speed, this never comes into play, so its just like two races on the same track.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still race in it :)

Steve Myers said:
Christopher Brinson said:
I bet iRacing staff finds our obsessive speculation entertaining, especially when we are dead wrong.

I really do find it entertaining. This announcement has nothing to do with a secret car in development though.

Steve

Damn.

Damn damn damn.

I still think it's gonna be Grand-Am. lol that rhymed

I called it.

http://www.grand-am.com/news/index.cfm?series=r&cid=40249
The GRAND-AM iRacing.com Online Sports Car Series will feature iRacing's exact digital versions of the Riley Mk XX representing the Daytona Prototype class and the Ford Mustang FR 500S initially as a production-based race car.

Note how it says the Mustang will "initially" be the GT car. They definitely have plans to add a Rolex GT car now.

Now we just need the Season 4 schedule. I like the idea of the Mustang/DP series. Guess I need to get my B license to try that out.
So, originally, I planned on running the Skippy, but now I'm back to running the SRF/Solstice series and will try to dabble in the Mustang/DP series. Oh yeah, and the MX-5. Maybe the FW31 fun race... crap thats a lot.

As a test, I tried the Advanced Solstice at Summit Short (where the SRFs are running this week). My Solstice laps, after about 5 or 6, were in the 1:12s, as compared to my SRF laps of 1:05s. Over 25 laps, the Solstices are definitely going to be lapped. Probably twice by my calculations.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's going to stay a B car. The IndyCar is going to be demoted to B. Long ago, the Riley was the A class road car, and it got demoted to B when the IndyCar came out.

Meh, iRacing needs a new license level to preserve the ladder. Too many cars.

I hope it stays B so I get more credits, cause I'm running DP next season. :D

Don't you think more series and more levels will dilute the number of drivers in each?

I do see a problem with more series, but I imagine there will always be "dead" series. I think the Jetta and Lotus are examples. Corvette was before the fixed setups. There just aren't enough people.

This next season I'm going to say "screw it" to running for a championship. Its just too much pressure and not enough fun.

Don't you think more series and more levels will dilute the number of drivers in each?

It would reduce the amount of drivers in each license level. Wouldn't necessarily reduce the amount of drivers in certain series. I'm not proposing to add a new series, I'm proposing splitting the 2 B and C licenses into 3 licenses. It wouldn't raise the requirements for A, the overall requirements for max SR. It would subdivide, and reinstate a proper ladder. At the moment, too many series' are globbed together into the same license level when they should really be a progression of one to the next. See V8 Supercar and DP (which are now both C), or the IndyCar and the Lotus.

Just noticed something about the Grand Am schedule... they are going to Zandvoort and Brands. Why not Spa instead of Brands, and Laguna instead of Zandvoort? WTF?

Last edited:
I don't like the Prototype dropping down to C class. It's a pretty easy car to drive and even now so many people make stupid mistakes or are just slow and don't understand that a blue flag means someone faster then you is coming behind, please give way. And with the Mustang. It should work, I guess... Although, I'm not sure how much I like the schedule. Daytona road twice? Thats crap. Also the fact one of them is 80 mins... Brands hatch 80 mins is also hard work. Barber... Yuck. Not digging many of the tracks.

Think I'll probably just run the Williams, and the V8 if I can ever get the right night off work lol.

Guess time will tell.