Random Thoughts....

*Offer not valid in Arizona, Hawaii, and parts of Indiana

Nope we're all DST last time I checked, just some Central some Eastern time. To be honest I like it, the extra daylight in summer is quite nice. But, I think I'm the only person in Indiana who likes it... and in reality I'm from Michigan, most people I talk to don't like it. But you cross into Illinois or Michigan and the story is the opposite.

Speaking of Oyster Cards, I was going to ask if the word Oyster is an acronym, or just some funny British slang like "Magna Carta", and then I got thinking that if I posed the question in the ever jaded and over informed internet public, I would get a wizenheimer response like "Google is your best friend."
I am sure it is, but that defeats my intent: I want to know from another human being information based on what they know. Am I just one of those old timey folks who still remembers the art of conversation?

There is a person who spends a lot of time in the political section and when posed with an argument, finds endless amounts of data to support their side. Could that person make a cohesive argument without a computer, if they had present it in front of another person instead of a computer monitor?
Having facts on your side is an added bonus, but tells me nothing of what the person is actually thinking, only using these endless reams of information from other sources other than their own. It is like you and me having a debate face to face and for every argument you make, I whip out endless newspapers, magazines, books, etc. to support my argument. To me that diminishes the debate.

I assume this is directed at me and my use of the, "information bitch slap," as one poster put it.

The short answer is maybe I could do the same thing in person but it depends on the subject matter.

During the health care debate for example I had to read and research much more then I usually do. There was just so much information out there and so much misinformation too. More misinformation then I have ever seen in fact. That and I just didn't know as much about health care as I needed to as it is a subject that I didn't know as well as some others.

About other subjects I wouldn't have to do that. I put all that information out there to back up and strengthen my argument and because I think it is interesting. Also hell if you read it maybe you learn something and maybe you come to see my point of view better. Maybe I change your mind, maybe I don't but if you read all of the info I put up there you will absolutely learn something.

You have never met me so you have no idea how much I read or how fast I read it. Just for example today we were ferrying cars between dealerships so I had a chance to read while riding in the car. I read five articles from the economist, one from Time, one from newsweek, one from Foreign Policy, Paul Krugman's latest blog posts, several opinion columns from the WSJ, NYT and Washington Post.

During a given day I read all of those plus some stuff from The Atlantic Monthly, National Review Online, Frum Forum and a bunch of other random stuff less frequently. I read the Washington times occasionally and I have tried to read Newsmax a few times but it is just too painful. Add in some English language international newspapers too from time to time as well.

All I listen to on the Radio is NPR news unless they have some show on I don't care about then I listen to WCCC awesome local rock radio station. Before I canceled my cable almost all I ever watched was news shows, CNBC, FOX, MSNBC, CNN all of them damnit, History Channel, Discovery Channel, etc.

My HS never had a debate team but I would have wanted to be one it. I like watching or listening to oxford style debate.

Go look up intelligence Squared US, I won't link to it as apparently that isn't allowed anymore, and listen to some past debates. They are awesome.

I guess I don't get what you are complaining about. You want less information? You want to be less informed? I am sorry but that just doesn't jive with my world view. I want as much information as I can process and then just a little bit more to strengthen my mind. Think of it like free weight training for your brain. If you aren't pushing yourself a little bit you aren't going to get stronger.

If you really don't think I can't make a coherent argument without resorting to outside sources go read my blog. Especially the post on Party Realignment in the United States. I didn't cite anything in that. I free wrote it all as I didn't feel there were many contemporary sources talking about it in current context.

Lastly if you don't think I can argue in person call me. I am going to PM you my number right now. Call any Tuesday it is my normal day off, except this Tuesday sorry I have to go to work and do some other BS, so I am at home being Mr. Mom. When I can get my son to settle down or nap, not that often being a 14 month old, I will usually write.

PM Sent.

Last edited:
I've been making funny little purr-like noises and bird calls all damn weekend. Also Rock Band 3. Rocks.

My internet just went down, and I have a paper due in 9 hours. Guess I will be getting some sleep then.

EDIT: Woohoo, internets are back

Last edited:
There was a robbery and shooting near my cousins fraternity house last night...some guy got shot in the leg and my cousin and his friend were first on the scene. What the guy who got shot said cracks me up... here`s the quote from the school newspaper...

"He had blood running down his leg and he asked me if I just saw a guy running and I said 'Ya' and he was like 'He just shot me,'" Schram said. "I asked him if he needed to sit down and he said 'No it didn't burn as bad as I thought it would' and I was like 'Dude you just got shot and he sat down and made a joke and said 'At least it didn't hit my balls.'"

That dude has a great outlook on the situation...The phrase ``At least it didn`t hit my balls`` is going to replace ``what doesn`t kill you only makes you stronger`` in my lexicon. :lol:

What doesn't kill you...doesn't hit you in the balls, either.

He's finally here, Caden Riley B, 5lb 7oz, 18". Born 4:55 pm on 11/8/2010.

56b02b0f.jpg

Congrats, Craig!

OMG, Jake!

Congratulations Craig :D

Congrats, Craig!

Congrats Craig :cheers:

Congrats Graig!

Keep the rubber side do......euhrmm, keep the bugs of your glass and the, damn........euh, just remember! buckle up!

God I wish I had more then one sayings book.