Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Just got back from TWS.

ab9b70f8.jpg

b14c9ef5.jpg

2aae1e1b.jpg

86bf83e5.jpg

Cheers to Nugget who was kind enough to let me ride around/work out my left arm/remove my contacts in his inverse pumpkin :D

So far the best and and fastest car, I've been in- thanks again.

/Still in :woot: mode

Last edited:
Theft, meh... taking air out of someone's tyres may be grounds to sue for negligent (or intentional?) cause of grievous bodily harm, or however English lawyertalk would phrase it. Attempted murder might be taking it a bit too far... :lol:

It is practically theft. Gas stations are charging me a dollar for pumping up my tires. Naturally, I don't want anyone stealing my air.

Also, pushing a bicycle because of a flat is much easier than putting a spare tire on a car!!!

Around here all of the gas stations will turn the pump on for free if you just ask the attendant.

Anyways, somebody can expect a size 11.5 cowboy boot up their ass if I catch them trying that on my truck.

Around here all of the gas stations will turn the pump on for free if you just ask the attendant.

Anyways, somebody can expect a size 11.5 cowboy boot up their ass, and their overpriced Trek eaten by an F150 if I catch them trying that on my truck.

FTFY

I just knew it!

http://gizmodo.com/5689580/parasite...modo/full+(Gizmodo)&utm_content=Google+Reader

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/11/14/340x_automatic-bicycle-pump.jpg

"The Parasite" bike "pump" - used to siphon air out of car tires to top up a bicycle tire. Does anything scream "I'm an asshole" louder than owning one of these?

Wow, everyone goes right to the theft possibility. Could it be possible that the person would use it on his own car/truck or simply ask to use the thing on sombody elses vehicle.

Right, the fixie-riding, red-light-running hipster dickheads that would use this will be all about asking nicely to let the air out of your tires.

Not that it would do any good, cycle tires require a much higher PSI than car tire, so the would, at best. only get 1/3 of the way to a properly inflated bike tire. The problem is that anyone who would buy this thing probably doesn't under stand that and would go around flattening car tires trying to pump up their bike tire.

Plus, you can pump up a bike tire with a hand pump. So, there is basically no reason for this thing to exist, except to be used by assholes.

Option A:
Cyclist: "My tire is flat. Hey, I'll siphon some air off this SUV tire!"
Me: "You're tampering with my vehicle, that's a felony; under Utah law I can shoot anyone in the act of committing a felony. So fuck off before I call the cops or put two in your chest."

Option B:
Cyclist: "Dude, I have a flat tire. I see you have an SUV, can you give me and my bike a lift to the nearest gas station?"
Me: "I can do one better than that, I have an air compressor in the back - I'll get you fixed up in no time."

Option B:
Cyclist: "Dude, I have a flat tire. I see you have an SUV, can you give me and my bike a lift to the nearest gas station?"
Me: "I can do one better than that, I have an air compressor in the back - I'll get you fixed up in no time."

You'd have to be pretty careful. Most cyclists avoid compressors because they pump air so fast that if you're not quick, you'll blow the tube. Then Mr. Ironic is gonna have a long walk home in his badly-lacking-arch-support Chuck Taylors.
Not that I have any sympathy for those hipsters. I mean for the cost of a few mocha-latte's they could have bought themselves a proper, portable bike pump.

Last edited:
You'd have to be pretty careful. Most cyclists avoid compressors because they pump air so fast that if you're not quick, you'll blow the tube. Then Mr. Ironic is gonna have a long walk home in his badly-lacking-arch-support Chuck Taylors.
Not that I have any sympathy for those hipsters. I mean for the cost of a few mocha-latte's they could have bought themselves a proper, portable bike pump.

Yep. A portable bike pump is a whopping $12. I have one for my mountain bike. I'm not going to see too many cars where I bike.

This is a small 12v compressor, not a big industrial one. It has a pressure gauge and an on-off switch so you can turn it off quickly.

Anyone ever make an attempt to buy a car that they're pretty sure isn't actually for sale? I have told myself that I would never ever do this before, because when random people going by see my Mustang in the garage and ask if its for sale, its pretty annoying.

buuuuuuuuut.....

One of my neighbors has a C3 Corvette in her driveway that's just sitting ther under a cover. its been there for a few years now. I'm pretty sure its from the 80's (plastic bumpers, wraparound rear window) I'm also pretty sure she got it in a divorce. It really doesn't seem she knows what to do with it, which is why i'm having thoughts about it. On the other hand, part of me is saying that if she wanted to get rid of it, she would have by now.

In any case, it's making me sad. The gearhead part of me is telling me it's my duty to at least try to save it. Last time I saw it uncovered, it looked to be in pretty good shape. It probably wouldn't need much work. What should I do? And if I do try something... how should I go about it?

Anyone ever make an attempt to buy a car that they're pretty sure isn't actually for sale? I have told myself that I would never ever do this before, because when random people going by see my Mustang in the garage and ask if its for sale, its pretty annoying.

buuuuuuuuut.....

One of my neighbors has a C3 Corvette in her driveway that's just sitting ther under a cover. its been there for a few years now. I'm pretty sure its from the 80's (plastic bumpers, wraparound rear window) I'm also pretty sure she got it in a divorce. It really doesn't seem she knows what to do with it, which is why i'm having thoughts about it. On the other hand, part of me is saying that if she wanted to get rid of it, she would have by now.

In any case, it's making me sad. The gearhead part of me is telling me it's my duty to at least try to save it. Last time I saw it uncovered, it looked to be in pretty good shape. It probably wouldn't need much work. What should I do? And if I do try something... how should I go about it?

If it were me, I'd leave a note on her door. Just say that you love the car and would be interested in buying it, should she feel like selling it.

I think a lot of people don't like trying to sell their cars themselves. Especially if she doesn't know much about the car and doesn't want to deal with a bunch of creepy guys coming over and trying to swindle her.