Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Polar bears drink antifreeze all the times, it's like candy to them. :rofl:

Not untrue. The reason you clean up spilled antifreeze is because animals will drink it or lick the puddles because it tastes sweet.

Yeah, the sharpest tool in his shed got sucked into his Jeep's engine :p.

:rofl: Well played, sir. Well played.

Not untrue. The reason you clean up spilled antifreeze is because animals will drink it or lick the puddles because it tastes sweet.

Indeed, hence how unscrupulous assholes will kill neighborhood dogs by leaving out frisbees full of antifreeze. However, twisting that fact into "antifreeze=nonpoisonous" is a bit disingenuous at best!

Focus is stuffed up. Only 3 cylinders are firing (sometimes 2, or even 1, depending on how angry it wants to be) and a rapid roadside diagnosis session went nowhere. It has spark... Which is not a good sign. These engines happen to be known for dropping valve seats, too. This could be bad.

.... And further research reveals that the mystery noise I decided was just regular valvetrain noise THE DAY I BOUGHT THE DAMNED CAR is the precursor symptom to the damned valve seats taking a vacation into the combustion chamber. I KNEW I should have been more concerned when it got louder in the past few weeks.

Last edited:
Time for a compression and leakdown check.

Wait, didn't you say you'd loaned this car to someone?

So, as of today, there are photos of my old car which I sold in March 2009 on Google. Blast from the past.

Yup. No compression and "there's somethin' rattlin' around in the #2 cylinder. I kin pull the head tomorra if ya want"

$2500 for a Ford reman longblock with a revised cylinder head that addresses the valve seat issue. Since my dad likes the car and intends to drive it for another 10 years, that's certainly less expensive than buying some other commuter car of uncertain pedigree.

And no, I'm not directing him towards something cheap yet cool. He only drives himself to and from work and prefers to be chauffeured everywhere else.

I'll also have to see about the core charge. a 4cyl end table might be nice.

I think a V-10 or V-12 coffee table would be nice, with a couple of VFR motor end tables to complete the set.

I agree with Dave, buy a Viper.

Awesome Thread is thatta-way -->

The stock 1st-gen CTS-V has a disappointingly quiet exhaust. Some guy was toying with me along the Boston waterfront and I could barely hear him even with the windows down.

What are some signs that one needs new spark plugs? Not starting easily? A pulsating you can feel at idle and hear in the exhaust note? I'm just trying to get a feel for what could be ailing my plastic sardine box! :p

Spark plugs are so cheap, you might as well replace them and see if it fixes the problem.

The stock 1st-gen CTS-V has a disappointingly quiet exhaust. Some guy was toying with me along the Boston waterfront and I could barely hear him even with the windows down.

Sleeeeeeee-perrrrrrrrrrr?

(I didn't think unshiny win could go in the awesome thread. I obviously need to spend more time in there! Point noted.)

Last edited:
Spark plugs are so cheap, you might as well replace them and see if it fixes the problem.

This is gonna sound epically sad...but I have no clue how XD.../plan's to google some more about it in the morning