How often do you guys trade your cars? (Sell, trade in, etc)

CLIK92

Car(s)
Mercedes CLK320
I was just wondering how often you guys change cars, and what you guys would want to replace your current car.

Ideally put it up for sale in less than 2 months.

Must get one of these for next summer. Spec-R, preferably tuned a bit.
5o6yqr.jpg

Last edited:
Too much. :p

I had a 1977 Lincoln Continental When I was 16 as a project car, sold that when I bought my "actual" first car

Bought a 1980 El Camino had that for grade 12 untill I started post secondary when my parents deemed it "Unworthy of commuting" (DAMN THEM!!! :p )

Parents put in a bit of coin for my next car, 1996 Civic Si, commuted with that for a year

While I still had my Civic, I bought a Lada Niva project car - Sold that - Bought a Jeep Cherokee Project - Traded it for a 2001 Crown Vic - Sold that, and my Civic.

Bought a 1977 Jeep CJ5 had that for a bit more than a year then bought my current car.

1978 GMC Caballero (el camino)

I plan on buying another Jeep CJ sometime soon while still keeping my Caballero.

Sheesh, I've had too many cars in too little time.

BTW, I've decided to stop this trend and plan on keeping my Caballero for quite a while, same with the (soon to be) CJ hopefully.

Every 3-4 years, typically. I prefer my DD to be relatively new and still under warranty. Not all that interested in having to f**k with it. Now if it was just a project car/weekend toy, I don't mind buying an older car and keeping it forever, since I don't have to depend on it to get me to work every day.

I haven't had my Si long enough to start thinking about my next purchase, but I really like the new Subaru STi sedan. In a few years, there may be a decent number of CPO's within my price range... I hope. :p

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/to/tomcat/2010/11/24/2011-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-side.jpg

Last edited:
Never. Or, more accurately, when it's well and truly dead.

With what will I replace my DD? That depends. I have a list of things to add to the collection, but actual replacement is so rare as to be meaningless.

I'm already thinking about what'll replace it, even though I bought it at the beginning of April. Ideally I'd have multiple cars so I can switch between them rather than replace them, but it wouldn't be financially viable for me right now; granted, frequently switching cars is hardly a cheap proposition, but that strings the costs out over a period of time.

Forgot to put up what I wanna trade for in the future, or have as a sidekick to my current car (I want to keep my car as long as possible so)

I'm assuming you guys buy used right? some of these cars can be had for great value

DSC03624.jpg

or the previous gen E38

2003-range-rover.jpg

There's a reason why you can get an early E65 or any Range Rover for a cheap price. They're unreliable (especially the Range Rover) and cost a fortune to fix.

Last edited:
There's a reason why you can get an early E65 or any Range Rover for a cheap price. They're unreliable (especially the Range Rover) and cost a fortune to fix.

Yea that's what sucks about em, its a hit or a miss

I mean I think the Range Rover would be an awesome car if they got the reliability part up with their electronics.

I don't really think the E65's are that bad tho compared to the Land Rovers

Reliability problems aside, Range Rovers are great. They look sweet and have an awesome interior. I'm also amazed at just how cheaply an E65 can be picked up. If I could find a good independent BMW mechanic, then I wouldn't mind picking one up.

Reliability problems aside, Range Rovers are great. They look sweet and have an awesome interior. I'm also amazed at just how cheaply an E65 can be picked up. If I could find a good independent BMW mechanic, then I wouldn't mind picking one up.

I'd avoid the 03's for the E65, since it was the first year they began selling them, I found an 05 745i with around 71k miles for about 23k, surprisingly they got good gas mileage for a 4000 lb car.

And I think most of the complaints with the Range Rovers, or Land Rovers in general were the little electrics that would malfunction once in a while, or cup holders breaking. But according to the site below, the Range Rover won for the most loyal owners

http://www.ajeepthing.com/jeep-blog/land-range-rover/land-rover-wins-loyalty-award/2007/

I've actually been thinking of older cars lately

bmw-e31-8-series-840ci.jpg

The 8-series is amazing, but gonna cost a hell of a lot to keep up

1914_mercedes-sl-r129-280-4.jpg

4499260022_large.jpg

Last edited:
^ You seem you like unreliable cars don't you :p

I tend to drive my cars to death. Unfortunately, since I own a Honda, and we all know they last forever, that means that my current car is probably my last one.

I tend to drive my cars to death. Unfortunately, since I own a Honda, and we all know they last forever, that means that my current car is probably my last one.

I beg to differ. Modern Hondas can be driven to the ground in mere months if you really try at it - mere years if you don't.

Bluebird: One year, 20 000 km.
323 HB: Four years, 50 000 km.
323F: Have owned for 1,5 years, have put 45k on it. Will not sell it ever :p

I don't sell ... just buy. Although in the past, I've traded a car in because it needed a wash :lol:

It's difficult for me to know if I have a pattern about this or not. I've only bought two cars in my life. I've had others as my daily driver, but these were cars I either "had permission" to drive or were inherited. I didn't choose them. And I didn't like them. So it's a bit different.

My car history:
  • Less than 1 year: 1984 Ford Tempo, manual, falling apart POS. The car sitting in the driveway mostly-working when I turned 16. It died of "father bad at car maintenance" around when I turned 17
  • About 2 years: 1987 Mercury Sable, automatic, lots of body damage but mechanics not too bad. Except the constantly failing transmission. It was sitting in the driveway with a bad transmission when the Tempo died. It was cheaper to fix, so Dad had it fixed and it became mine. I used this through early college as well as the end of high school
  • A year and a half, or so?: 1987 Toyota Camry, automatic, in good shape. I inherited this with ~80,000 miles on it. It was great to drive a car that didn't have horrible body damage, and I drove the wheels off the thing (I'd get squeals in harmonics out of the tires), but I had a job now (even if it was an internship) and I was saving money for a car I wanted
  • Three years: 1994 Mazda MX-5 M Edition, manual. The first car I actually wanted. I bought it. After a year and a half, it got a supercharger. A few months after that, I drove a third gen Miata and had to have one. I couldn't yet afford one, but instead of continuing to mod the '94, I saved all those extra bits of money to be a down payment. By now I was out of school and had a "real" job.
  • Almost 4 years: 2006 Mazda MX-5, manual. While I bought this car when it was a year old, it only had 2,000 miles on it and was essentially new. I'm itching for a different car now, but for? different? reasons than in the past.

For all of these, the car I had was "my" only vehicle. This has changed. I've bought a motorcycle as my commuter and the MX-5 is freed to be mostly-a-toy-with-only-occasional-street-use. It still tends to be driven at least once every two weeks, and often the "drive" involves track time. But I'm working on getting a truck, which will free the car from street use. At that point, I'm considering selling the MX-5 and getting a truly track focused car. Be it a Spec Miata, some other "spec" racer, or a purpose built car, I'm not yet sure. As I'm preparing the MX-5 for sale I'll be researching the options and making a decision.

And now for the "eye candy" *cough*:

The 1994 MX-5, when it got home from the shop with the supercharger:

Those superchargers really are fantastic. Their power draw is on the lower side (being twin screws), and they can push a lot of pressure. The guy who put mine together had one of his own. His pushed 350hp to the rear wheels before he sold it. That was out of an MX-5 engine, stroked to 2.0L, with both reworked bottom end and reworked head. And even better? That 350hp came with a flat torque curve. When the turbo setups are tuned to that level of power, there's a jump in the torque. Fantastic.

What I'm thinking about getting is something like the little blue car in front here:

Spec Miata is a little concerning to me, as it's often called "Spec Pi?ata" and "Wrecked Miata", among other affectionate terms. But Miatas are reliable, with lots of cheap parts options, and relatively cheap to fix. Maybe I can weasel my way into another sponsorship with a shop, making the repairs cheaper still.

Last edited: