Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

It's not a generalization, it's a fact. If you define "average" as the peak of the bell curve in every aspect then it's safe to assume that the person watches NASCAR (the most popular spectator sport) has an average education (less than a bachelors, more than a high school diploma), drinks beer from a large American brewer, and has an IQ of 100. I know that last part because IQ is on a sliding scale and 100 is always average.
That's fair enough, but my point was that your argument was presented as a false cause fallacy, because the majority of the things you list are pretty innocuous.

You're obviously suggesting people who like football, drink shit beer, and have an Associate's degree are stupid, and implying they're (to steal a /b/ phrase) "the cancer killing the country". Of the long list of things that average people do in this country that make us pretty retarded comparatively, none of the things you list are really that bad.

Just sayin'.

good, it looks like the greens are getting balance of power (or any seats even) in our state election

Like most rational people I'd rather the other major party in before the greens having any power

You guys within the Westminster system need to face the curtain. That's the reality of modern politics pretty much everywhere in the world. Coalitions are hard, but they tend to work well regardless.

Karnerfors said:
Today?s policies on nuclear energy dictate that we shall put fuel that is unspent ? 95 percent of it ? in an expensive hole in the ground. There are better ways. Fourth generation nuclear power helps save us from our own foolish plans.

Picture this?

You are on a family car trip. You need gas, so you stop at a station and fill up twenty gallons of fuel in your car. You drive ten-fifteen miles down the road, using up one third of a gallon of gas, and then you stop. To the puzzlement of your family you siphon all of the unused gas out of the tank. Two thirds of a gallon you pour out on the road and set fire to. The remaining nineteen gallons you give back to a gas station. Your family asks you: ?Why are you doing that?!?. You reply to them: ?Oh that gas will be sent back to the oil well and put it into the ground again, not to be used?

By now your family will call for an ambulance and have you committed on grounds of insanity, because such behavior is without doubt utterly ludicrous.

But what if I told you that this is how most counties in the world are managing their stock of nuclear fuel, including the US?

In the middle 1980?s most of the nuclear power plants that are in operation in the world today had been built. They are of the so called second generation nuclear power. After thirty years in operation the results from these plants are quite excellent. Apart from Three Mile Island (TMI) accident ? which incidentally didn?t hurt anyone ? none of the pressure and boiler water reactors of West or East Asia have had a major accident. They are sturdy and reliable designs.

They do have a few drawbacks though:
  • Only 5 percent of the energy in the fuel is extracted.
  • Of the energy extracted from the fuel, two thirds is washed away as waste heat.
  • When the fuel is taken out from the reactor, it is highly radioactive, necessitating storing it for 100,000 to 1 million years while it decays.
Today tens of thousands of tons of spent nuclear fuel are sitting in casks or storage pools around the world, waiting for us to come up with a solution for it. For countries that do not allow reprocessing, there has only been one solution seriously proposed so far: deep geological repositories. You build caves deep into stable bedrock, and stuff the nuclear fuel there. Seen from a safety perspective that is a good idea because we know from the natural nuclear reactor site in Oklo, Gabon, Africa, that such repositories are extremely safe. A geological repository will keep spent nuclear fuel locked inside for literally billions of years. The only major worry is human intrusion.

Seen from a resource and sustainable development standpoint though, this is an awful(!) idea. 95 percent of the energy in spent nuclear fuel is unused. Why would we want to put that in the ground for hundreds of thousands of years when we can use it to get clean, safe energy instead?

Fourth generation nuclear power is an umbrella term for emerging reactors designs. Some of them have existed as experimental plants for decades. Countries like the U.S., Russia, France and India have been working on fourth generation for quite some time. The advantages of this new nuclear power are substantial:

• Fourth generation reactors use what we call ?waste? today as fuel and extract twenty times the energy, used nearly twice as effective.
  • The storage time for the nuclear waste goes down to approximately 500-1,000 years instead of 1,000,000 years.
  • They can use plutonium from dismantled nuclear weapons as fuel.

Two things have held fourth generation nuclear power back so far. First the negative attitudes towards nuclear power after TMI and Chernobyl. The second factor has been the fact that Uranium has been ? and still is ? dirt cheap considering the fantastic amounts of energy that is extracted from the material, even with the second generation reactors.

But today, when we are faced not only with the problem of nuclear waste but also the urgent need of phasing out fossil fuels, these accidents have in the grand perspective proven to be exceedingly rare and either harmless ? like TMI ? or not relevant to the issue of future nuclear power, because no one is building dangerous Soviet junk-reactors designed in the 1950?s anymore. Nuclear power is without doubt coming back.

While countries like the US and Sweden are mulling over how to get people to accept nuclear waste dumps in their neighborhoods, others ? like Russia and South Korea ? are moving forward aggressively in the field of new nuclear power. With the current rate of expansion China will be the world leader in a couple of decades; the country is breaking ground for ten(!) new nuclear reactors every year.

Until fusion power is commercially available, the question is what role the western world will take in the continuing history of nuclear power. Will we:

* Stop the development of our own nuclear power and bury our nuclear fuel in the world?s most advanced and expensive garbage dumps, hoping no one touches it for a million years?
* Move forward, develop new nuclear power and produce clean energy for hundreds of years while eliminating nuclear waste and nuclear weapons?
If the first option sounds good to you, I urge you to get a siphon and start draining your gas tank?

Michael Karnerfors, Lund, Sweden
The author is a Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering, and co-founder of the independent network Nuclear Power Yes Please? (NPYP) which seeks to gather people who consider the issue of nuclear power too important to be squandered with junk arguments and outrageous claims aimed more to scare and terrify people rather than informing them on the issues for and against nuclear power.
http://nuclearpoweryesplease.org/blog/2010/11/24/say-yes-to-fourth-generation-nuclear-power/

Interesting stuff.

[video=youtube;rgxwTF-qeAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgxwTF-qeAo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

HAUW IS DIS NECASARY? Gosh the English are no fun - even their protests suck. And to boot, the Police don't even use fun methods to break up protests.

Good ol' Bob Brown (why everyone is asking the federal greens leader - rather than the state leader), coming out and blaming everyone else for his party sucking

it's the ABC's fault for negative press on the greens (yeah right) and the liberals and labor parties colluding against the party

what an idiot, maybe you didn't get any seats in the lower house because your policies are shit? like lets turn off the coal plants and replace them with "green jobs" and not actually specify what they might be?

Good ol' Bob Brown (why everyone is asking the federal greens leader - rather than the state leader), coming out and blaming everyone else for his party sucking

it's the ABC's fault for negative press on the greens (yeah right) and the liberals and labor parties colluding against the party

what an idiot, maybe you didn't get any seats in the lower house because your policies are shit? like lets turn off the coal plants and replace them with "green jobs" and not actually specify what they might be?

The whole campaign has been a shambles. No one really bothered to talk about the fine print. Everyone had to name drop a price for Labor's failures and work from there. From what I've seen from the Federal Government, not a lot will happen to cover up the BS.

[video=youtube;rgxwTF-qeAo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgxwTF-qeAo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

HAUW IS DIS NECASARY? Gosh the English are no fun - even their protests suck. And to boot, the Police don't even use fun methods to break up protests.

It never stops to amaze me how ignorant the British police can be when there's a protest on. Treat people like cattle, if it's possible, it's always nice to do some kettling. The only way to leave a protest of this size untouched by police hands in the UK seems to be to smash RBS.

It never stops to amaze me how ignorant the British police can be when there's a protest on. Treat people like cattle, if it's possible, it's always nice to do some kettling. The only way to leave a protest of this size untouched by police hands in the UK seems to be to smash RBS.
Two weeks ago at the first demo in London, the organisers of the march, the National Union of Students (NUS), said it would all pass off peacefully and quietly.

The Met Police therefore agreed to supervise the march with a ?light touch? police presence. This is to visually and physically police in a low key style and NOT to treat the university students like they were rabid football hooligans.

Well, the demo kicked off and this ended up on the front pages of the newspapers the next day:

I wasn?t there, so cannot comment if it was the students or other people who wanted to cause trouble.
The Met Police looked unprepared and incompetent, which embarrassed the politicians.

Subsequent similar demonstrations, are unlikely to be "lightly policed".

:)

Two weeks ago at the first demo in London, the organisers of the march, the National Union of Students (NUS), said it would all pass off peacefully and quietly.

The Met Police therefore agreed to supervise the march with a ?light touch? police presence. This is to visually and physically police in a low key style and NOT to treat the university students like they were rabid football hooligans.

Well, the demo kicked off and this ended up on the front pages of the newspapers the next day:

I wasn?t there, so cannot comment if it was the students or other people who wanted to cause trouble.
The Met Police looked unprepared and incompetent, which embarrassed the politicians.

Subsequent similar demonstrations, are unlikely to be "lightly policed".

:)
You know, that was pretty much my point. The police tend to police the general protest heavier, but don't give a rats about the damned trouble makers. Like during the G20, they let them smash up the RBS branch, but they fucking attacked the climate camp that was, at the time, sleeping. Basicly. The big deal during the G20 was the smashing of RBS, and the trouble that happened AFTER protesters were kettled. Tempers were high, and police worsened them.

As for the student protests, let me tell you one thing. All the papers used the same situation on their front pages (hooded youth smashing window) because there probably wasn't that many other situations that had the same impact.

Disregarding special circumstance, the behavior of police in the above video seems unnecesary, relatively rough handed and provocative. The real pity is that there's no one with the ability to objectively document such happenings, who'll get the same ability to move around the protest as the police. Traditionally, the press has fulfilled that role. Back in the day, press photographers had less chance of being hit over the head with a baton while doing their job. It was understood that just as paramedics are doing a job during a protest, so is the press. Therefore, the press was left alone.

It differs from country to country. In Norway, it's gotten better. Experienced photojournalists I've talked to say they were fucking scared of riot police in the 80s and 90s, one of them have had his arm broken and gotten bitten by a police dog. These are people dressed in high visibility jackets with "PRESS" and carrying camera gear that's anything but inconspicous. The cops who did the hitting knew who they were hitting. Today, that's not a problem. The guy I'm referring to still don't trust them, but it's been ages since he's been assaulted by riot police while doing his job. In Sweden, I'm told it's okay, even so, journalists were placed under arrest a few months ago during a protest. That is, of course, completely inacceptable. From what I understand, in the UK, it's been getting steadily worse.

But I digress. What we need is someone who is clearly marked as an observer, a large-ish group of independant observers who can bare vitness and document the different spots during such a protest. They must have absolute rights to move about unscaved. No one can guarantee their safety with regards to protesters, that's impossible. But it must be absolutely clear that no one may accust them legally, that they are not to be placed under arrest or hit over the head by a member of the police force.

If such a force is made and gets the resources to do their job, for the first time, we will know pretty much exactly what's happened. We won't have to take the words of the parties (police, politicians, protesters, activists), we'll have actual raw footage of what happened, in what succession it happened and wether or not things were done the right way.

Let's make one thing clear. If you tried to assume such a role, you would have to stay at the potential flash points. In other words, you'd have to be at the front. If someone decided to go violent, you'd have no way out. And if that group was kettled, you'd be kettled. If the police placed people under arrest, you would be placed under arrest.

You want to know why there's no impartial vitnesses to confrontations? Because the only party that can objectively observe without risking arrest or kettling is the police. And they're party to the potential conflict. Protesters have no credibility, police have no credibility. We can't trust the modern news media. So in the end, we end up guessing.

That's what we're doing now.

Ha. You want to try the van that was abandoned because the Met said their "officers felt vulnerable when surrounded by the mob".

Shame Sky News has footage of the van, empty, well before the demonstrators were confined to the area.

Also, let it be known that those police on horseback were advancing on kids. You had 14 year olds kettled into a confined area, no food, no water, no toilet facilities in the freezing cold for up to eight hours. This was a student protest, not an adult one.

I didn't think I'd see the day when that would happen. And we all know what happens when you radicalise people at a young age.

snip - see above

You want to know why there's no impartial vitnesses to confrontations? Because the only party that can objectively observe without risking arrest or kettling is the police. And they're party to the potential conflict. Protesters have no credibility, police have no credibility. We can't trust the modern news media. So in the end, we end up guessing.

That's what we're doing now.

Actually, I like your idea of an independent witness to give an unbiased post event account of actions by BOTH sides.

Perhaps there is an organisation that could perform this role in the UK, it is the IPCC. (Independent Police Complaints Commission).

They are the organisation which investigates any police wrongdoing. Currently, they are office investigators and not field officers, but it may be possible to retrain some staff for observation duties. I think they may like to have their own observers at event which they may subsequently have to investigate.

For example, if one of the demonstrators had died due to police activities, the IPCC would investigate and prosecute, if necessary, with the CPS.

Also, in other Random Political news:
BBC News ? Wikileaks 'hacked ahead of secret US document release'

"We are currently under a mass distributed denial of service attack," a Wikileaks spokesman has said on its Twitter feed.

Now then, I wonder who would benefit from doing that? :think: :whistle:

What me, cynical? :lol:

Actually, I like your idea of an independent witness to give an unbiased post event account of actions by BOTH sides.

Perhaps there is an organisation that could perform this role in the UK, it is the IPCC. (Independent Police Complaints Commission).

They are the organisation which investigates any police wrongdoing. Currently, they are office investigators and not field officers, but it may be possible to retrain some staff for observation duties. I think they may like to have their own observers at event which they may subsequently have to investigate.

For example, if one of the demonstrators had died due to police activities, the IPCC would investigate and prosecute, if necessary, with the CPS.
It might work. But I think it has to be more removed from actual police. The UK has always been good at establishing Royal societies for different stuff, I see no reason not to do so for this.

It's basicly about ensuring that the truth comes out. Heck, give it to the Swiss.

The IPCC in charge of investigating the police is like putting an entire litter of especially ravenous foxes in charge of the hen coop. Those boys exist to smooth things over.