The RC Cars/Planes/Boats/Helis thread

Hi nsx_23, i have been in this hobby for like a year. If you never flown one before, i suggest you to buy simulator. I started with simlator. Well, you have to get the basic maneuver before you fly. The plane you are about to buy is 3 channel. It is really suitable for beginner. But kind a hard to control in the wind. I suggest you to buy 'glider' 4 channel because it is so much fun and recommended for beginner. If you really need help about RC, you can go to RC forum such as rcgroup.com.

the simulator is available on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6CH-Real-3D...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483baf6d0e

and this is the good online rc shop.
www.hobbyking.com

welcome to rc and good luck with your first flight. :)

I don't know how much starter planes are, but I'd probably suggest something like that over piecing something together because I don't imagine you'd save that much, and parts availability and manufacturer support are paramount. I suppose you could also look for a used, higher quality plane in the same price range, but you'd need to talk to experienced flyers to find out if that has nay real advantages other then simply having a nicer plane.

I went down to the hobby store today and had a very long chat with the store owners and stuff, and I now have a much better idea of what to expect. I'm definitely going to join a flying club when I get back to Melbourne so I can have someone show me how to fly and maintain a plane properly, but in terms of what to get there were a few different answers. It'll definitely be a foamy, but the question is which package. Whilst the guys initially reckoned I should buy everything separate, after telling them my mearge budget of $200AUD the said a package would probably be fine for me to learn on, and once I get better I can easily upgrade to a faster plane anyway.

Some of the indoor planes are very cheap ($100-ish with radio and everything), and the Electrafun XP had some mixed responses. Generally, the kit is very good, but build quality can vary. There were quiet a few cheaper brands in the store as well, but they wern't very big airplanes. There's a big thread over at RC universe on the Electrafun: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4991856/tm.htm

The phoenix pro:

obj764geo912pg5p2.jpg

Was recommended by the store owner and some other guys who were in the shop, and an indoor aircraft which apparently still flys well outside on relatively calm days is this:

hbz4900im1.jpg

The Hobbyzone champ. About $100 ready-to-fly, and apparently very gentle and forgiving. I do want something slightly bigger like the electrafun, but I'd have to buy that in Melbourne since carrying it back home would be a bitch (The box is massive). And for my $200 budget the Hobbyzone supercub is fucken tempting. This mustang was also very cool.

Hi nsx_23, i have been in this hobby for like a year. If you never flown one before, i suggest you to buy simulator. I started with simlator. Well, you have to get the basic maneuver before you fly. The plane you are about to buy is 3 channel. It is really suitable for beginner. But kind a hard to control in the wind. I suggest you to buy 'glider' 4 channel because it is so much fun and recommended for beginner. If you really need help about RC, you can go to RC forum such as rcgroup.com.

the simulator is available on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6CH-Real-3D...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483baf6d0e

and this is the good online rc shop.
www.hobbyking.com

welcome to rc and good luck with your first flight. :)

Yep, I think simulator time is good to start with. Will this one do?

4ch: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/USB-3D-4CH-R...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item2eaf123dbd

6ch: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6CH-USB-3D-R...Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item19be7ca5a3

(I think this is the one you posted) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dynam-6CH-US...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a2c08dd6

Last edited:
i suggest you to buy the 6ch simulator. because in future you might bored with planes and wanting to start with 3D heli which is 6ch. in fact, some planes in simulator have flap and landing gear. by default, you have to press key on your keyboard to toggle them, but with 6ch simulator, it has switches for you to flip to toggle the two functions. more channel, more features.

But which of those 6CH ones should I get? Also, where do you normally fly?

Wanna post some pics of your planes as well :p

Sorry to bump the thread, but I found one of these for $50 + shipping. Yay or nay?

yellbee-1.jpg

SDM Yellow bee.

And here's a recommended package for me from an RC forum:

AXN Floater-Jet w/ Servo, Motor, ESC (EPO) Plug-n-Fly
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8359

Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8932

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8991

HobbyKing ECO6 50W 5A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11060

Last edited:
But which of those 6CH ones should I get? Also, where do you normally fly?

Wanna post some pics of your planes as well :p

I think the one that you found on ebay is ok. There are 4 simulators that i know. realflight, phoenix, FMS, and Aerofly. I play realflight G4.5 and aerofly pro deluxe. You can get them on torrent. It is better if you contact the seller of the simulator to get the EMU configuration to play realflight. Different simulator device, different configuration. So, buy the one that comes with EMU configuration. My location is Malaysia. You can go to my youtube page youtube.com/mrpocoyo90 to see me fly my plane. I fly 3D plane.

Those recommended package is suitable for you. The AXN floater is very easy to fly. The SDM yellow bee is more like a toy. It is 2ch only.
Before you buy the simulator, contact the seller first to get the EMU configuration. It is for realflight simulator software. Many use this software. If you wanna see how it looks like, search realflight g3.5 in youtube. The graphic is very real. So, yeah it needs a good computer with Graphic card. Current laptops spec do support this simulator software.

Last edited:
yet i am quite lazy to upload picture of my plane. But i do have video. go to my youtube channel youtube.com/mypocoyo90 to see my video. I fly 3D plane by the way.

How about something like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354237

and a Spektrum DX5e?

well, that's a good plane. My first plane is that type of plane. called high wing beginner. It is very stable and floaty. Can glide smoothly if CG is perfect. But in that forum is the plane he builds himself.
Dont buy the spektrum dx5e. Because it is not digital although it has digital trim. It can memories one model only. You will know why when you have more than one planes. buy the turnigy you found on hobbyking. I use futaba 6exhp. Futaba is the common transmitter for RC. Also, since you just wanna start, you have to choose what mode that you will use. There are 4 modes. just google transmitter modes for more info. The common modes are 1 and 2. Mostly in US, use mode 2. I also use mode 2 because it is easy to control both plane and heli. but, mode 1 is very convenient for 3d plane. many 3d plane pilots use mode 1. As for 3d heli, mode 2 is very convenient to use. So, if you think you will not play with heli, use mode 1, but if you think you want to try heli after you bored with plane, use mode 2.

Last edited:
This is the only one that I've got and haven't played with in ages. :(

I use this one more often:

3.jpg

Recently started thinking about buying a heli cos they're cheap and look like fun.

Do they get shoved in the back of the closet after a few days or can they really be fun for prolonged periods?

What's this talk about 3 channel and 6 channel? What does that mean?

I've got some cheapo RC cars I bought a few years back.

Citro?n Xsara WRC car and MKI Ford Focus WRC car.
Pretty fun on tiled surfaces :p

Recently started thinking about buying a heli cos they're cheap and look like fun.

Do they get shoved in the back of the closet after a few days or can they really be fun for prolonged periods?

Heli are really fun to play. 3 channel means the heli can do 3 maneuvers, up and down, rotate left and right, and moving forward and backward.
6 channel means your heli is 3D. can do extreme aerobatic maneuvers and the basic maneuvers real heli does which is up down, rotate, forward backward, and bear left and right. 6ch heli are just for medium users that have been spending a lot of time on simulator. If they dont, their money are going to drain fast. trust me.

if you like heli, dont buy the 3ch because it will get shoved in the back of your closet after a few weeks. Therefore, you should buy the 4ch heli because they are more fun and more easy to control compared to 3ch heli.

Last edited:
Heli are really fun to play. 3 channel means the heli can do 3 maneuvers, up and down, rotate left and right, and moving forward and backward.
6 channel means your heli is 3D. can do extreme aerobatic maneuvers and the basic maneuvers real heli does which is up down, rotate, forward backward, and bear left and right. 6ch heli are just for medium users that have been spending a lot of time on simulator. If they dont, their money are going to drain fast. trust me.

if you like heli, dont buy the 3ch because it will get shoved in the back of your closet after a few weeks. Therefore, you should buy the 4ch heli because they are more fun and more easy to control compared to 3ch heli.

Thanks.

So there's 4ch? And 4ch is fun enough to keep a beginner occupied for some time? And I shouldn't start on a 6 ch without practicing on a sim? Hmn, don't think I can be bothered getting a sim (don't have a decent PC either) to practice, I just thought it would make a cheap, fun toy.

well, that's a good plane. My first plane is that type of plane. called high wing beginner. It is very stable and floaty. Can glide smoothly if CG is perfect. But in that forum is the plane he builds himself.
Dont buy the spektrum dx5e. Because it is not digital although it has digital trim. It can memories one model only. You will know why when you have more than one planes. buy the turnigy you found on hobbyking. I use futaba 6exhp. Futaba is the common transmitter for RC. Also, since you just wanna start, you have to choose what mode that you will use. There are 4 modes. just google transmitter modes for more info. The common modes are 1 and 2. Mostly in US, use mode 2. I also use mode 2 because it is easy to control both plane and heli. but, mode 1 is very convenient for 3d plane. many 3d plane pilots use mode 1. As for 3d heli, mode 2 is very convenient to use. So, if you think you will not play with heli, use mode 1, but if you think you want to try heli after you bored with plane, use mode 2.

I'm essentially getting that aircraft for free since someone on another forum is giving me one (Just need to pay $15 total for an receiver and battery - Charger, etc, I'm getting for free). I've bought a 2nd hand Spektrum DX5e for $65AUD shipped, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a Turnigy 9X since almost $100+ shipped from Hobbyking even with the cheapest shipping. I think a 5ch transmitter is enough to start off with, and since I'll most likely trash the first plane from bad flying I won't have the problem of dealing with multiple aircrafts just yet :lol:

I think an STC plane and the Spektrum to start off with for now will be fine, and once I want something better it appears I can easily sell on the DX5e to another enthusiast. I can't wait to start flying!

Helis are epic fun. Even my little Chinook kit I got from a friend still keeps me entertained, but it does take time to learn how to fly it properly. And a sim isn't a bad investment if you plan on buying larger and more complex helis if you decide this hobby is for you since some of the top end helis are 1k+.

Last edited:
I'm essentially getting that aircraft for free since someone on another forum is giving me one (Just need to pay $15 total for an receiver and battery - Charger, etc, I'm getting for free). I've bought a 2nd hand Spektrum DX5e for $65AUD shipped, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a Turnigy 9X since almost $100+ shipped from Hobbyking even with the cheapest shipping. I think a 5ch transmitter is enough to start off with, and since I'll most likely trash the first plane from bad flying I won't have the problem of dealing with multiple aircrafts just yet :lol:

I think an STC plane and the Spektrum to start off with for now will be fine, and once I want something better it appears I can easily sell on the DX5e to another enthusiast. I can't wait to start flying!

Well, its you choice. already consider what mode will you use?
It would be nice if you upload some vids. :)

The controller is mode 1.

Yeah, the Turnigy Tx looks really good, but right now I just want to get a feel for the hobby first to see if its something I'd like to spend more money on. :)

And one can always have a spare controller :p

Last edited: