Spied: Spy Shots: 2011 Jeep Compass sharpens up

If they want to increase their economy numbers, they've got to do that Jeep Panda already, preferrably before I buy my next vehicle - every time I see a 4x4 Panda I want it and I'm not sure why.

Something based off the 4x4 Panda would be very cool indeed. A throwback to the old Suzuki SJs. Just make it mod-able.

I didn't even notice that. Looks like they took the boxy ones off the old designs and forgot to change them to go with the soft looking new one.

At first I thought they were dummy panels for camouflage, like how other carmakers pull black covers over test mules. :blink:
It really looks like it's one car below the window line, and then another one glued on top of that.

You've never seen a Jeep Compass, current flavor, have you?
2007-Jeep-Compass-Part-2-TOP.jpg

So...it's a facelift of one of america's worst cars. *yawn*

I doubt they'd do that, they need a front drive model to help out fuel economy wise.

I actually like the Compass' sibling, the Patriot. It looked pretty nice before, the interior redo a year ago totally transformed things inside (soft touch dash/doors/armrest) and the new exterior/mechanical refresh for this year makes it look and drive better:
JP011_023PA.jpg

Will someone please, please, PLEASE explain to me why we need the Compass in addition to the Patriot? Same car, same brand, same price point, different bodywork, and better available options on the Patriot. The Compass is arguably the most redundant vehicle on the market.

Will someone please, please, PLEASE explain to me why we need the Compass in addition to the Patriot? Same car, same brand, same price point, different bodywork, and better available options on the Patriot. The Compass is arguably the most redundant vehicle on the market.

We don't, and I'd actually argue that the Compass brings down the Patriot in terms of cachet along with it. People always think of the two in pairs, and while the Patriot is pretty decent, it's perception is always dragged down by the constant (well deserved mind you..) ragging on the Compass.

I do know that Compass was supposed to be more urban, young, and "quirky", while Patriot is aimed more at the traditional small CUV market, but the fact is that Chrysler failed to do a good job of delineating the two in terms of positioning through advertising/marketing so it all blurs together in the end. Honda managed to do it for years somewhat successfully with the Element/CR-V duo so it's not impossible.

I'm squarely in the segment that Chrysler wanted to target with the Compass (nontraditional Jeep buyer, young, etc.) and I'd take the Patriot six ways to Sunday, in that great Orange color with the tan interior plz?

Last edited:
I"m not a fan of the new Jeep design direction. But as long as they keep building the Wrangler the way it should be, I'll be happy.
I think I will just pretend that Jeep now only makes the wrangler.

We don't, and I'd actually argue that the Compass brings down the Patriot in terms of cachet along with it. People always think of the two in pairs, and while the Patriot is pretty decent, it's perception is always dragged down by the constant (well deserved mind you..) ragging on the Compass.

I do know that Compass was supposed to be more urban, young, and "quirky", while Patriot is aimed more at the traditional small CUV market, but the fact is that Chrysler failed to do a good job of delineating the two in terms of positioning through advertising/marketing so it all blurs together in the end. Honda managed to do it for years somewhat successfully with the Element/CR-V duo so it's not impossible.

I'm squarely in the segment that Chrysler wanted to target with the Compass (nontraditional Jeep buyer, young, etc.) and I'd take the Patriot six ways to Sunday, in that great Orange color with the tan interior plz?

The Patriot/Compass dichotomy just got even more crazy with the introduction of a trail-rated Compass. source. So instead of the Compass being a more urban, similarly-priced Patriot, the Compass is a more expensive, more luxurious, equally-off-road capable Patriot.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

2011-jeep-compass-630op.jpg

It's also uglier. Don't forget the ugly!

Doesn't Jeep have different levels of Trail Rated-ness?

Compass is level 1
Patriot can be level 1 or 2
GC is level 3
And Wrangler is level 4.... I thought I remember reading this somewhere.... but I don't know. I'm probably wrong.

lol Trail rated, dont believe that or your wrangler might die in the water and they'll blame you :lol:

The Patriot/Compass dichotomy just got even more crazy with the introduction of a trail-rated Compass. source. So instead of the Compass being a more urban, similarly-priced Patriot, the Compass is a more expensive, more luxurious, equally-off-road capable Patriot.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I think they're trying to do the exact opposite thing they should be doing. Damm you Chrysler....still haven't learned.

The Compass should be the cheap, cheerful, car. Delineated in several unique ways, totally separate advertising techniques in a way that would let people know that "Yes you can get it optioned up, but the base car's cool too and cheap!" Patriot should be aimed at that higher end stuff somewhat, aimed at young families and young professionals.

Also, keep in mind that for the 19K base price, you won't get a Trail Rated Compass. Apparently you need the Freedom Drive II system to get that...so you're looking at a 22k car in the photo above. :|

That doesn't look 22K worthy. The Patriot does.

Doesn't Jeep have different levels of Trail Rated-ness?

Compass is level 1
Patriot can be level 1 or 2
GC is level 3
And Wrangler is level 4.... I thought I remember reading this somewhere.... but I don't know. I'm probably wrong.

According to the site, while they offer several different 4WD systems, there's one Trail Rated certification process: http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/

There's a video on the page that purportedly explains it, but I can't get sound working for some reason...

The Patriot/Compass twin's aren't bad cars at all. They are some of the safest in the category being IIHS top safety picks. It's just that having two are totally redundant, one's ugly as sin, and they could devote more resources to making one best in class, rather than spreading out money among two models.

Last edited:
The two of them are so offensively ugly and cheap looking, nothing else is relevant.

Never driven one, have you?

I meant from an on paper perspective. :lol: The Patriot makes a lot of sense, got great crash scores, (so it's obviously not totally under-engineered like a Chinese car) and get's great MPG for a AWD crossover.

There's good bones underneath that were just tuned horribly. Look at the first looks at Chrysler 200/Avenger and Dodge Journey. While they weren't as nice to the sedans in terms of improved driving dynamics (more cushy than sport...) many think that the retuned Journey's driving dynamics put it right in the thick of things in it's weird "tweener" niche it's created for itself. (Mazda5/Kia Rondo/Ford Grand C-Max on one end, stuff like Equinox and Edge on the other) I bet with the new rejiggered tuning and class competitive interior the Patriot could create just as good of a impression.

Hand on heart, I'd probably choose the Patriot over a lot of other car's in the segment. I can *gasp* actually see out of it unlike the Sportage which is heartachingly handsome in it's own right but nearly impossible to see out of while reversing. The Black/Tan interior looks posh too, better than the coal bin or never ending shades of gray in the Sportage.

I meant from an on paper perspective. :lol: The Patriot makes a lot of sense, got great crash scores, (so it's obviously not totally under-engineered like a Chinese car) and get's great MPG for a AWD crossover.

There's good bones underneath that were just tuned horribly. Look at the first looks at Chrysler 200/Avenger and Dodge Journey. While they weren't as nice to the sedans in terms of improved driving dynamics (more cushy than sport...) many think that the retuned Journey's driving dynamics put it right in the thick of things in it's weird "tweener" niche it's created for itself. (Mazda5/Kia Rondo/Ford Grand C-Max on one end, stuff like Equinox and Edge on the other) I bet with the new rejiggered tuning and class competitive interior the Patriot could create just as good of a impression.

Hand on heart, I'd probably choose the Patriot over a lot of other car's in the segment. I can *gasp* actually see out of it unlike the Sportage which is heartachingly handsome in it's own right but nearly impossible to see out of while reversing. The Black/Tan interior looks posh too, better than the coal bin or never ending shades of gray in the Sportage.

Well, I have driven one (Compass, specifically), second worst thing I've ever driven, right behind the Chevrolet Aveo. It'll take a miracle to make them anything other than worst in class.

No positive attributes. At all. Though with the new ones at least the interior wasn't molded by a monkey.

I've posted this in other Jeep forums over the years (maybe even here, I don't remember). The Jeep line needs to be this and only this:

2-door Wrangler, soft top
2-door Wrangler, fixed roof
4-door Wrangler, soft top
4-door Wrangler, fixed roof
2-door Wrangler, fixed roof, truck bed (a la Scrambler, or AEV's Brute)
(fixed roof Wranglers would sell like hot cakes to utility companies, municipalities, etc.)
Liberty - maybe, just maybe, since it seems to hold its own in the market
Grand Cherokee

Also, every Jeep is to be 4x4 ONLY. The fact that you can buy a 2WD Wrangler nowadays is blasphemy.

Liberty needs to be 2wd to compete in its market. GC could probably benefit from a 2wd version as well. 2wd Wrangler is mind asplode.

There was a 2wd Cherokee.