Stewart Lee wishes Hamster had been decapitated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this whole thread rather strange. Stewart Lee (very well known for pushing boundaries) said something abit offensive! Big Deal! It was ruddy ages ago, Move on.

Stuart Lee in article said:
"I'd happily debate the routine with Hammond and I think he'd get what it's about, that he's being used as a symbol of the sort of debased crassness that passes for controversial humour these days."

Pot. Kettle. Black.

The truth is that Hammond made a name for himself and a mint from that accident. His book was serialized in the Mirror for God knows how long, we then got to know his wife Mindy (56483 articles about the same accident from his and her side with twice as many pictures of her/his pain), Rich Mindy and family at every red carpet event and he got to sign a lucrative new contract with the BBC (?2M was it?) when Auntie realized he was kinda popular and worth keeping happy.
So I'm afraid to tell Richard that it is part and parcel of the business, when you're in the spotlight there will be people out to get you.

I am no fan of Hammond tbh (the TG weakest link apart from his jackets :D) and whilst I understand where Stewart Lee is coming from I reckon he went too far, Hitler Staline or Bin Laden would have deserved such a treatment, but Hammond is just irritating but in no way evil. Be a mirror to people Stewart, if he is irritating then irritate him (or try too) but don't stoop to that level.
And by the way Stewart, Jezza called Brown a one-eyed idiot, he never said on air he wished him dead, there is quite a difference.

whilst I understand where Stewart Lee is coming from I reckon he went too far, Hitler Staline or Bin Laden would have deserved such a treatment, but Hammond is just irritating but in no way evil Be a mirror to people Stewart, if he is irritating then irritate him (or try too) but don't stoop to that level.
And by the way Stewart, Jezza called Brown a one-eyed idiot, he never said on air he wished him dead, there is quite a difference.

Agreed.

I got the point Lee was trying to make, but took it way too far by dragging his kids into the equation.

Jeremy may have pushed a few buttons over the years, but he's never gone that far.

...Except for the odd threat of de-hearting a dog, but shhhhh!!!!:p

I've watched Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Once.

I've watched it too, once... I thought he was a good laugh but his way of talking a bit annoying... not the content or the in-your-faceness of it... rather his slow and husky way... and roundabout way...

I still think good on him for making people laugh at him being outrageous ... it's part of free speech... and not everyone likes top gear, or Hammond or reading about his recovery from a self induced crash.
and I find it sorta bemusing that people who readily laugh at Jeremy's throw away out of order jokes like I'd square his head etc is funny but speak of Hammond and oooohhh no you can't do that... or ohhh you can't speak of his kids. it's jokes told to adults from an adult ... and I believe everyone at his show understands his sort of humour ...

I've watched it too, once... I thought he was a good laugh but his way of talking a bit annoying... not the content or the in-your-faceness of it... rather his slow and husky way... and roundabout way...

I still think good on him for making people laugh at him being outrageous ... it's part of free speech... and not everyone likes top gear, or Hammond or reading about his recovery from a self induced crash.
and I find it sorta bemusing that people who readily laugh at Jeremy's throw away out of order jokes like I'd square his head etc is funny but speak of Hammond and oooohhh no you can't do that... or ohhh you can't speak of his kids. it's jokes told to adults from an adult ... and I believe everyone at his show understands his sort of humour ...

Sorry to go off topic for a minute but....huh?:blink:

I got the point Lee was trying to make, but took it way too far by dragging his kids into the equation.

Jeremy may have pushed a few buttons over the years, but he's never gone that far.

Exactly. Jezza would never go so far as to wish death on someone or ill on someone's children. Go after your main bete-noir all you want, but FFS, 1) don't wish them dead; and 2) leave their family out of it.

I find this whole thread rather strange. Stewart Lee (very well known for pushing boundaries) said something abit offensive! Big Deal! It was ruddy ages ago, Move on.

Agreed! We already had about 140 posts on this in September. Just because some newspaper brought it up again, doesn't mean we have to do the same, surely? :(

This is what Stewart Lee does, he's an edgy comedian and I prefer that people push the edge of comedy (Stewart Lee), rather than people who complain because they've been offended. If everyone complained everytime something offended them either on TV or said by a comedian etc then comedy would be a dead art form. End of story.

Also one of the only things I like more than Top Gear is comedy (or most of it, Ricky Gervais for example is a stuck up cock)

^And punching the "M1 guy" hard in the head. :D
Although I'm with him on that one, when you've driven all the way from the South Coast (literally) and you get up to that bit, and there's noone there, you want to scream with frustration!
This thread made me think of this..[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSD7jb-7x4[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry to go off topic for a minute but....huh?:blink:

He choose to strap himself into a rocket car knowing it's more than quite dangerous. Doubt he was pressured into it.
So more like his thrill seeking and part of that is that it's dangerous and accidents at high speeds are very dangerous...
that's part of what gives you that adrenaline high.

Last edited:
This is what Stewart Lee does, he's an edgy comedian

BWHAHAHAHA. now thats funny.

He choose to strap himself into a rocket car knowing it's more than quite dangerous.

he didnt make himself crash though and thats what your "self induced crash" means. self induced, done to oneself. he had an accident, big difference.

really though thats damn weak. do you realise that walking on the sidewalk is dangerous ? yes there is a risk you will be hit by a car(amongst other things). or how about driving your car somewhere ? again plenty of risk in doing that(people die every day). ever flown on a plane ? do i need to go on ?
yes he did something that was even higher risk but he also had a team of people there trying to reduce such risks etc. to carry on that the accident was in any way his fault or that he shouldnt get any sympathy because he knew it was risky is plain callous.

I never meant it wasn't a terrible accident and that he was to blame for the actual crash.
But I do understand fatalists who think that if you put yourself in harms way you've got nobody else to blame. Not saying I fully agree but I do see their point of view and can relate that to why a person would quickly get fed up on Richard + wife "milking" the whole thing.

I don't care for jokes about kids being killed. I don't care for jokes about people dying in accidents. I don't even care for watching people get into silly accidents and hurting themselves in funny ways (americas funniest home videos or whatever) or being stupid like in jack ass and hurting themselves. I don't care for a lot of things. But I don't feel offended and the need to shut people up or stop them doing whatever it is they're doing if they consent to it. I think it's their business. If I don't like it, I do my best to ignore it.
The line for me is actually telling people to go and kill this family or do it himself.... and those things are criminal offences.

I think Stewart Lee is just a bit miffed because TG won't let him be a SIARPC.

I've watched Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle. Once.

i only had to watch the ad for that show on tv to decide that it wasn't worth my time or viewing pleasure. in fact i was even more surprised at Dave because they usually show watchable programs instead of programmes where i'm more likely to leave the remote control embedded in the screen (ie. ITV or generic reality tv show/crime drama channel.)

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I recently bought a copy of the DVD of this set, and remembered seeing this thread. I am therefore in a well equipped position to deliver the sense of closure on the issue that nobody was looking for.

Lee starts of the bit talking about how he hates Top Gear, because it goes out of its way to be politically incorrect for what he perceives as cheap and exploitative laughs (he paints an image of top gear viewers appreciating Clarkson sneering at a Sikh on their behalf). He then describes how he hates Richard Hammond in particular, because of what Lee sees as cowardice on his behalf for laughing at Clarkson's jokes but not saying anything similar himself. Because of this, he says, he would like it if Hammond had died in the crash, and continues to build that up until it reaches the absurdly graphic and horrible crescendo that has already been discussed. He qualifies this with "Come on it's just a joke like on Top Gear".

Some of you have also taken exception to the way in which Lee involved Clarkson's children. He mentions that he hopes they go blind. This is within the context of Lee referencing Clarkson's remark that Gordon Brown is a "one-eyed Scottish idiot". He says that Gordon Brown lost the use of one of his eyes when he was a child and that it isn't a funny thing to do a joke about. Also note that he after commenting that he wishes Clarkson's children go blind, he "not really, you wouldn't say that, you wouldn't think it, you wouldn't wish it on a child".

Towards the end of his tirade, Lee turns to the camera and says "What I was doing there, as everyone here in this room now understands, just in case there's anyone from the Mail on Sunday watching this, is I was using an exaggerated form of the rhetoric and the implied values of Top Gear to satirise the rhetoric and the implied values of Top Gear. And it is a shame to have to break character and explain that."

rise from your grave, thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.