Gran Turismo 5

The bumber cam is right at the front edge of the car. I don't have to worry about all that virtual bumper.

I don't see how using the bumper cam will help with knowing where the edges of the car are.

It does. I can't really explain it, but it does.

To clarify: I race better with the bumper cam, but it's more fun to use the interior view.

Well, the bumper cam is in the middle of the car, so you can guess where each edge of the car is unlike the interior view where you're on the left or right of the car. Being on one side of the car is no big deal when you're in an actual car and you can move your head to see the other edge of the windshield, which you can't in GT5.

Yeah, interior view is so overrated (especially when you're playing with your own wheel). Bumper cam is a lot less distracting, gives you much more information, and makes the game run slightly smoother. TBH, I'm not really excited about that announcement because most standard cars look fine to me. The only car I would like to be turned into premium is the Veyron. :D

I'd rather have them spend time on making new cars (premium, obviously) rather than converting existing cars to premium.

Wish there was a interior view-like angle without losing 1/2 the screen to seeing the interior. Honestly, I don't see the interior view as being the most realistic becuase when I'm driving, I can move my head in 3D space so the A-pillar doesn't really block anything and I can peer over the hood a little better by moving my head unlike in games. Now, maybe GT5 has a way to move your POV that I'm not aware of, in which case I'm way off base. If there was was an interior view where you could change the opacity of the car, that would be more realistic, but not sure how it would work. Maybe the dash is opaque at the bottom 40%, but then there's a solid-to-translucent gradient that starts as it goes up? No idea, but there's got to be another way. The bumper cam is simply too low to the ground and you lose too much of the "what's coming up" field of view.

I love how in B-spec mode, pace up or overtake are synonymous with "run into the next wall, get stuck, forget how reverse works, figure it out then do a few donuts". This is gonna be a long road.

I'm really annoyed that you have to gold the intermediate AMG school to unlock the weather/time Nurburgring. I simply am not good enough to beat that challenge. A seemingly perfect lap is still 15 seconds off pace.

I'm really annoyed that you have to gold the intermediate AMG school to unlock the weather/time Nurburgring. I simply am not good enough to beat that challenge. A seemingly perfect lap is still 15 seconds off pace.

I have the replay saved for it, I can give you the replay if you can figure out how to make it work, since I don't really feel like holding up a camera for 7 minutes.

That one AMG lesson (Intermediate-5) is harder than any other one in every difficulty. I got golds on the Advanced and Expert Levels much faster than I could on that single lesson. It takes not just a near perfect lap, but you have to pass every car without getting slowed down at all (Which is very difficult since they don't seem to understand what a blue flag, or flashing high beams, or honking, or a super-fast SLS getting very large in their rear view mirror means).

I was also going to offer up my replay (if I still have it), but Cold Fussion beat me to it.

I entered a level 0 driver into a level 17 race at 7 laps. By the end of lap 4 he had 0 strength and mental strength. Lap time difference (100% cold)? 0.2s... Apparently, to him, it makes no difference. Granted if I had to push him into the red to catch up/pass I'm sure he would've destroyed the car

B-Spec Level 32... still only a maximum of 4 drivers, but i'm leveling them evenly.
I hope I can use 6 eventually.

I still haven't played the game, since I started aiming for something on B-Spec... i'm going insane. It's mind-numbing.

Little info about B-Spec, might be useful to some: every B-Spec driver you have has a bar in his stats called "career". This bar is filled through the number of races this driver participates in, not the number of driven miles.

When this bar is full, the driver will become slower and lose some of his talents, because his career is over. It appears he will still be choosable as a driver, but he will probably be so bad that you will have to remove him from your team and start with a fresh one. So when you train your B-Spec guys for a specific event, do not only pay attention to their experience, but to their career as well. If you fill their experience bars by letting them do an endless number of small races, their career might be over before they become useful to you.

Last edited:
i'd love to have the Mine's N1 R34 GTR as a premium car, but not for the GTS M-spec cars...those are like....the base models of the skyline lineup. or maybe they should just have a R34 Stagea like the Sileighty. that'll be fun.

also with the Rim change thing, every car in GT used to be able to change rims, hope that gets sorted soon enough.

That's odd, I only have 1 gold in AMG intermediate and got time/weather Nurburgring in the practice mode.

Little info about B-Spec, might be useful to some: every B-Spec driver you have has a bar in his stats called "career". This bar is filled through the number of races this driver participates in, not the number of driven miles.

When this bar is full, the driver will become slower and lose some of his talents, because his career is over. It appears he will still be choosable as a driver, but he will probably be so bad that you will have to remove him from your team and start with a fresh one. So when you train your B-Spec guys for a specific event, do not only pay attention to their experience, but to their career as well. If you fill their experience bars by letting them do an endless number of small races, their career might be over before they become useful to you.

Interesting. I've already retired a couple of new-ish drivers. At least we can run lower level drivers in events in B-Spec so we won't have to grind a driver all the way to a high level.

I suspect the real hassle will come into play in the long endurance races. In the short multi-driver events, some of my lower drivers do a great job, even when their strengths are low, but I have to keep them on pace or their lap times fall.

I've found that putting a higher driver in a lower race, or giving a low driver a killer car nearly guarantees a win - but putting a lower driver in a higher race can mean you I have to stay on top of them. That will be fun when we've got newer drivers and hit the long races.

Any clue as to how to influence the driver arrows? I still haven't been able to find a way to reliably get them to change and with only five drivers, it's starting to get to be a pain to grind to the next higher level.

I could really use some tips on the Historic Cote d'Azur too. No matter what driver or what car I can't get Bob to manage better than about 4th in that race. Sadly, I don't have a 2J and my most experienced driver has a tendency to turn in to the Armco when pushed too hard.

Last edited:
I could really use some tips on the Historic Cote d'Azur too. No matter what driver or what car I can't get Bob to manage better than about 4th in that race. Sadly, I don't have a 2J and my most experienced driver has a tendency to turn in to the Armco when pushed too hard.

That race took a while for me. Here's what I did:

Use the Toyota 7, modified with the biggest turbo I could put in it (You can upgrade the turbo on it).
High-level driver with a personality near the center.
Raise the car 5mm both front and back, increase rear camber and toe in a bit. Also put on max downforce both front and back. And use the stickiest tires allowed.
Hope that, when you start the race, the 2J is not in the first 4 cars on the grid. (The biggest factor in a win)
Ensure the driver keeps his level near the middle the entire race.

Edit: Oh! And the arrows, I think, are beyond our control. I've tried to decipher a pattern in them and can't really find any.

Last edited:
I used the Veyron to win the french car challenge in B-Spec.
I feel dirty.

That's odd, I only have 1 gold in AMG intermediate and got time/weather Nurburgring in the practice mode.

I think there is some confusion regarding the various layout of the Nurburgring.

All gold in intermediate unlocks the 24h configuration, which consists of the Nordschleife and the full GP track linked together.

Silver unlocks the Type V configuration (also known as the 4h configuration I think), which is the Nordschleife and the shorten GP track linked together.