FIRST CAR!! Amazing Birthday Present!!

Haha thanks guys,

I have now driven it like 400 miles (always with a purpose! I don't joyride) and I am completely in love with it. It is incredibly docile at freeway speeds, it accelerates smoothly, handles like an absolute dream (I am so glad I got this over the audis I was looking at) and the stereo is absolutely amazing (it has the bose). I don't even think I NEED to mention the power.

However, I have learned that when it is wet, the VDC lights up like Times Square on New Years and the back doesn't like to stay put :p. But regardless, it has absolutely been a dream car for me so far. I couldn't be more pleased and I plan to take VERY good care of it.

And don't knock the slushbox:p There is tons of traffic around here and the paddles shifters are really neat:cool:

No joyriding? Heck, I get joy out of doing a milk run in my dad's 98 Lumina. Driving SHOULD be joy-filled. At least, for me it always is (no matter what car I drive).

You got a car as a birthday present? Also, you got that kind of car as a birthday present? I....I..
Must.resist.spouting.off.crude.statements.of.sheer.jealousy. :blowup:

/Saved up from the age of 16 to buy a 4cyl Japanese econobox at age 22. :-(
//Maybe it's time to beg parents / friends / relatives / random people for an NSX for my 25th? :think:

You called? I'll make myself available :wicked:

I refused to be lumped together with those people. Yes, I am fortunate for recieving a car, but I am also VERY appreciative and do not take it for granted. I am not an idiot with it and I don't drive around showing off.

Just because I am very blessed doesn't mean it has to change my personality. I am not some arrogant kid who thinks he is hot stuff because he has a nice car. I don't feel like I am better than anyone else. Fact of the matter is that I know I did nothing to earn the car, I know I don't deserve it, but its a gift and I absolutely cherish it.

If you were joking, I am sorry for going off on you, but it burns me up when people think I am some sort of spoiled brat when they don't even know me.

Prove them wrong. I know plenty of people in the Asian community who get insanely expensive cars bought for them, and there's a small portion out there who actually appreciate their cars and don't act like jerks. You certainly have parents who don't mind spending money on you :)

Last edited:
I got a car for my 16th birthday, it was a mid 90's toyota camry, and i thanked them for it for years afterward, just sold it this year actually (4 cars is too many for one person, lawl)

Let me make a few points:

1) Nobody thinks you're a douche for getting a nice car, if they are, screw them. You'll be the douche with the nice car and they'll always be assholes

2) Joyriding is not a bad thing, i put 1000 miles on my new miata in something like 4 days.

3) Dont drive like an asshole, but after you get a few months of driving under your belt dont be afraid to experiment with the limits of the car. Only do what you feel comfortable with and as traffic, visibility and weather conditions allow. Aggressive drivers are ALWAYS safer than defensive ones.

4) Buy a miata/camaro (i always say this, ignore if you wish)

I love it! That's a fantastic present.

Congratulations! It looks great and I hope that you'll have a lot of fun with it. Make sure that you have fun with it. Enjoy it! Not everyone gets the chance of enjoying such a car at your age. Therefore, you have a larger responsibility to your peers to have fun with it, even if having fun can be technically irresponsible at times. ;)

Go 500 miles just to have lunch or drive to another state to.. I don't know, just make sure its fun. Take the twisty routes. Take it on a track day to learn its limits. Start off at the local Wal-Mart or any other open area that's paved though.

I guess that I'm just trying to say: Congratulations! Have fun! Enjoy!

Last edited:
On most normal automatics made today, do the paddles work similarly to those stupid "Tap-shift" system that have been in GM and Chrysler cars forever now?

17800005.jpg

Where you hit it and it sometimes responds after a delay that make it seems kind of pointless, as if you're suggesting the car change gear, not actually forcing it to?

Or is it like a proper semi-automatic/seqential. I know mechanically it isnt, but since its a paddle i'd expect an instant change in rpm, even if my wrong decision over-revved the engine, otherwise it seems kind of pointless.

^^Depends on the car. In my old A4, it was relatively fast response...when you hit down it will almost instantly change down, unless say you were in 2nd at redline and decide to change to 1st, then it would ignore your command. You can however change it to 6th at say 35mph and it wont downshift even if you floor it. My tsx is very similar but i think the A4's was better, although a true manual or DSG box is still a million times better.

I believe that the G35S models even have revmatching downshifts.

My slushbox with paddles seems pretty instantaneous, but like p0w3r said, it won't let you downshift if you're at redline (or up in that high RPM where downshifting = bad idea).

Slushboxes are fun on tracks, too. I would love to point that by my happy red slowmobile! :D

On most normal automatics made today, do the paddles work similarly to those stupid "Tap-shift" system that have been in GM and Chrysler cars forever now?

17800005.jpg

Where you hit it and it sometimes responds after a delay that make it seems kind of pointless, as if you're suggesting the car change gear, not actually forcing it to?

Or is it like a proper semi-automatic/seqential. I know mechanically it isnt, but since its a paddle i'd expect an instant change in rpm, even if my wrong decision over-revved the engine, otherwise it seems kind of pointless.

Why would it be any different than a tiptronic gate? It's just sending an electronic signal to the transmission. How effective or not it is depends on the car. In my short experience tracking a G37 coupe on the track, Infiniti's response is pretty quick, but the transmission overheats very easily, putting the car in limp mode.

Congrats! Sound's like a hell of a gift! I echo the other's in saying that sometimes taking a drive for no particular reason is the best thing you can do really. I love getting in the car and driving just for the hell of it.

Something i don't understand about America... How can a 17 year old get insurance for a car like this? Young drivers are according to the insurance companies, a liability and have a high chance of causing a massive accident from what i've heard. Makes me wish i lived in America sometimes, only for some of the awesome cars you can get for nothing with supidly cheap insurance. Not like the UK where no insurance company would let anyone under the age of 24 get insured for a car like this Infinity...

Something i don't understand about America... How can a 17 year old get insurance for a car like this? Young drivers are according to the insurance companies, a liability and have a high chance of causing a massive accident from what i've heard. Makes me wish i lived in America sometimes, only for some of the awesome cars you can get for nothing with supidly cheap insurance. Not like the UK where no insurance company would let anyone under the age of 24 get insured for a car like this Infinity...

it's called mommy and daddy have a lot of money

It's called mommy and daddy have a lot of money.

^ Dont be an asshole, asshole. If is family is helping him with a car and he's not being a snot about it, dont act like some kind of injustice is being done.

You called? I'll make myself available :wicked:
Prove them wrong. I know plenty of people in the Asian community who get insanely expensive cars bought for them, and there's a small portion out there who actually appreciate their cars and don't act like jerks. You certainly have parents who don't mind spending money on you :)

That I have not seen, what kind of cars are we talking?

It is way cheaper than the UK. When I was 16 and got my '99 Accord, my insurance was $125 a month. Only now after 4 years of being insured with no accidents, tickets, or anything, it's down to $85. Still pretty expensive though. If I were to get in a wreck, it'd go so high it'd be like I was paying for a new car payment.