[16x01] January 23rd, 2011

[16x01] January 23rd, 2011

• Total voters
An average episode: A few good jokes, a very Top Gearish (or very Clarksonish :D) Yeti segment, pictures of the new Stig at school or as a teenager (brilliant!)... but i didn't like that Liverpool guy, nor the news or the unbelievably unnecessary 911 stuff all over again (we got it already, move on!), despite the Beetle fall was worth seeing. I'll watch it again, guess i'll give it a 7/10

Last edited:
8/10. A solid, enjoyable episode.

And nice to see a familiar face back on Top Gear at last!

Great episode.

Was it me or has 'the scripting' been dropped for this episode? It felt more natural to me.
Especially Richard. Was the first episode in years in which he disappoints when he was on his own, me thinks.

9/10

Great episode.

Was it me or has 'the scripting' been dropped for this episode? It felt more natural to me.
Especially Richard. Was the first episode in years in which he disappoints when he was on his own, me thinks.

9/10

It was scripted, but only loosely. The few times they had to do a second take, it'd be the same general thing but not the same exact words.

The credits did disappear due to a cock-up by the broadcasting playout system situated next to Television Centre, however the online team have put a clean set of end credits without announcer or credit-squeeze on the version of Top Gear on the i player. The font seems to have changed for the credits, they're less italic than before.

Great to see Tiff on TG.

Yeti review was epic. Love it when they go overboard on a test drive.

John Bishop was good fun and bloody quick. Maybe I missed it but Jezza din't ask him much about his personal car history.

Can't stomach any more Hamster/911 orgies :puke:

911-the only downer of the show. Gave it a 9 only because of that, otherwise, a straight 10 =) Awesome.

I now have this urge to buy a Skoda Yeti. :| Thanks Jeremy.

8/10 from me.

And Richard, gravity will always win.

Yes, Hammond, we get it, you love 911s more than you love anything else in the world. But even for someone who supports Porsche against Ferrari in GT2 racing, it's starting to get somewhat tiresome.

Apart from that, no objection. Other than... Liverpool accent is horrifying. :lol:

Also, Sienna Miller in the glovebox. I was damn near rolling on the floor laughing at that point.

Reckon that was James's new white 911 in the studio - not the one on bricks, the first one.

Gave it an 8/10.

It wasn't bad or anything it just didn't feel that good.

Watching this episode, I had much of the same feeling you do when you read a sponsored blog post.

I hated pretty much the whole episode. The last bit could have been interesting if they took it seriously - pitch a few generations of 911's against each other and see how they have evolved. What they did was pointlessly stupid and irrelevant.

And while on the subject of irrelevant - the Skoda Yeti review. At the end I even had to fast-forward the helicopter bit. So not funny.

We've had this argument in the past on these forums - whether Top Gear should be serious, funny, or a blend of the two. Well, the Yeti review was neither serious, nor funny. Some of Clarkson's jokes were funny, but they had no relation to the car whatsoever. He might as well have taken a box on wheels and did the same review.