The Ultimate macOS Thread

i'm gonna have to, which sucks as I still need to make time for a doctor appointment and fixing my car.

this USED to be the case. I would notice that and say "huh" and jiggle the cord/unplug-replug and it fixed it. This time those things did not work :|

Yeah, lights up green like it thinks it's fully charged.

mine used to do that, and then tell me its not charging. Usually happened when the battery was near full but simply unplugging and replugging the magsafe sorted this out and it went back to orange and charging.

mine used to do that, and then tell me its not charging. Usually happened when the battery was near full but simply unplugging and replugging the magsafe sorted this out and it went back to orange and charging.

This is intended behaviour: If you re-connect the charger with the battery only insignificantly used, it won't charge to spare the battery of another charging cycle.

^ I see.

That machines long gone now, I think dodgy South African electricity killed it. Hopefully my iMac isnt going to suffer from the same problems my pre-uni body MBP did. It used to shit itself yearly, In a big way.

So has just about every laptop I've used since the 90s. I think it's actually a feature of Windows (as opposed to a hardware component).

I'm not so sure on that. Most laptops I've used would charge the battery from 97% or 98%. This doesn't.

This isn't like 90% though the first time it did this recently it was at 37%. That's only 1/3 the capacity and I needed to take it to school the next morning.

Yeah I'll have to take it in.

Of course it stopped now, so they will think I am lying :(

Great news! VLC released update 1.1.6 for Mac containing all sorts of bug fixes.

And it still ruins the video and audio. Hooray Movist!

I'm getting the itch to switch to a mac laptop. Should I a) get a 13" Air, b) get a 13" MacBook Pro, c) wait until the next generation of MacBook Pros come out?

I'm getting the itch to switch to a mac laptop. Should I a) get a 13" Air, b) get a 13" MacBook Pro, c) wait until the next generation of MacBook Pros come out?

I'd only get an Air if you desperately want the form factor, otherwise I'd got for a 13" Pro. What do you plan on using it for?

It really depends on your needs and wants, and nobody can recommend either an Air or a MBP without you elaborating on what you intend to use it for.

The Air is quite a bit thinner and lighter than the MacBook Pro, I personally don't have an issue with thickness but the weigth advantage can be considerable if you lug it around daily (or a lot). The Air also has the SSDs as standard, giving you better performance and battery life. But in most other respects the MBP is a better laptop - better graphics, better CPUs (albeit not on the 13" MBP), backlit keyboard, an optical drive, SD card reader and with the edge to edge screen looks much better than the Air I think as well.

Personally, I went in to buy a 13" Air and walked out with a 13" MBP instead. I just couldn't justify all the missing features of the Air since I was planning on being away for a couple of months and since they were identically priced, I chose features over form factor for my $1300, but others might choose differently. I also couldn't get over the lack of edge to edge bezel on the Air - it feels considerably cheaper compared to the Pros, even if the Air is still more premium looking compared to what the PC guys are putting out.

On the waiting for the next generation thing, it's a tough call but I'd wait. Knowing Apple nothing significant will change, but the MBPs are definitely due for a refresh in a month or two and if there's any possibility of Apple putting something newer than the C2Ds in the 13" Pros I'd definitely wait, it could use a performance boost for sure.

Defiantly the pro. 3 lb difference but really if I can lug around the 1 lb more 15" one with my schoolbooks with my weak girly arms I doubt you will have issues with the weight.

c) i am hugely disappointed by the quality of the keyboards and the lack of a matte display on all current Apple laptops. I know there are third-party companys that will convert your MBP to a matte screen but i'm not paying 1000+ ? for a laptop just to have it customized because the manufacturer does not offer the options i want. Wait for the next generation and hope that it gets better or have a look at the hackintosh community forums to see which Dell or Lenovo ThinkPad will serve as a good alternative.

EDIT: Sony (which products i won't recommend because of their spare parts policy) have released a 13"-Laptop with an i7 cpu. Might be an option if you need raw power.

Last edited:
An i7 in a 13" form factor must be a beast as far as power and noise in concerned. Apple does offer matte screens on the 15" and 17" MBPs.

Well, you can get the matte display on the 15" and 17" as an option from Apple, nothing on the 13" though...

As for getting a MacBook Pro 13" right now, I would wait a few weeks to get one, they are due to being renewed soon and I'm pretty sure they'll sport the same display resolution as the 13" MacBook Air (1440x900), which would be a nice upgrade :)

I'd only get an Air if you desperately want the form factor, otherwise I'd got for a 13" Pro. What do you plan on using it for?
I'd be using it for school, which means notes, programming (mostly using vim in the terminal), and SSH. I like the higher resolution and lighter weight, but don't like the decreased battery.

It really depends on your needs and wants, and nobody can recommend either an Air or a MBP without you elaborating on what you intend to use it for.

The Air is quite a bit thinner and lighter than the MacBook Pro, I personally don't have an issue with thickness but the weigth advantage can be considerable if you lug it around daily (or a lot). The Air also has the SSDs as standard, giving you better performance and battery life. But in most other respects the MBP is a better laptop - better graphics, better CPUs (albeit not on the 13" MBP), backlit keyboard, an optical drive, SD card reader and with the edge to edge screen looks much better than the Air I think as well.

Personally, I went in to buy a 13" Air and walked out with a 13" MBP instead. I just couldn't justify all the missing features of the Air since I was planning on being away for a couple of months and since they were identically priced, I chose features over form factor for my $1300, but others might choose differently. I also couldn't get over the lack of edge to edge bezel on the Air - it feels considerably cheaper compared to the Pros, even if the Air is still more premium looking compared to what the PC guys are putting out.

On the waiting for the next generation thing, it's a tough call but I'd wait. Knowing Apple nothing significant will change, but the MBPs are definitely due for a refresh in a month or two and if there's any possibility of Apple putting something newer than the C2Ds in the 13" Pros I'd definitely wait, it could use a performance boost for sure.
The two things I like about the Air are the weight and the higher-resolution screen. I don't care about an optical drive, or an anemic graphics card, but I do wish it boasted the 10 hour battery of the MacBook Pro.

Defiantly the pro. 3 lb difference but really if I can lug around the 1 lb more 15" one with my schoolbooks with my weak girly arms I doubt you will have issues with the weight.

My current laptop weighs almost exactly the same as a 13" MacBook Pro, and while I can definitely lug it around, the 3 lbs might make a bit of difference when I'm also carrying a couple big science textbooks around.

c) i am hugely disappointed by the quality of the keyboards and the lack of a matte display on all current Apple laptops. I know there are third-party companys that will convert your MBP to a matte screen but i'm not paying 1000+ ? for a laptop just to have it customized because the manufacturer does not offer the options i want. Wait for the next generation and hope that it gets better or have a look at the hackintosh community forums to see which Dell or Lenovo ThinkPad will serve as a good alternative.

EDIT: Sony (which products i won't recommend because of their spare parts policy) have released a 13"-Laptop with an i7 cpu. Might be an option if you need raw power.
Thanks for the heads-up on the keyboards. I'll go over to an Apple Store and try them out before I make a decision. My current laptop has an even worse shiny screen than the Macs, so I don't mind the lack of matte. As for using a hackintosh, the main reason I am looking at getting one of the Apple laptops is because I don't want to deal with those things. My current laptop has had OSX on it, but it was such a pain keeping it working that I gave up and installed Windows (needed some Windows CAD software, so couldn't just stick to my usual Linux). My desktop is a hackintosh, and it's a breeze keeping it working, but laptops are too full of weird custom parts, and things like battery life and lids and suspend and whatnot are too important.

I don't really care about raw power, but it does seem stupid to buy a brnad-new computer that has the same CPU as my almost two-year-old laptop. I'd really like Apple to figure out a way to get an i3 or i5 in one of their 13" laptops.

As for getting a MacBook Pro 13" right now, I would wait a few weeks to get one, they are due to being renewed soon and I'm pretty sure they'll sport the same display resolution as the 13" MacBook Air (1440x900), which would be a nice upgrade :)

I hope that happens. I think I will do as several of you have suggested, and wait a bit to see what Apple comes up with soon. If either the Air got an i3 or the MBP got an i3 and the high-resolution screen, they would both be basically perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'd probably end up with the MBP, but if they managed to eek out a little more time from the Air, the scales might tip in that direction.