Condensation Inside Windscreen

Motaman

Car(s)
Peugeot 306
Hey, how do you go about stopping condensation inside the car on the windscreen? It happens a lot and the other week when it was cold it froze leaving me sat in the car waiting for it to thaw in my gloves and truck driver's hat.

Quick fix?

if you have condense on the inside of your screen, then rain is probably getting in the car. fix the leak!

Last edited:
if you have condense on the inside of your screen, then rain is probably getting in the car. fix the leak!
Nope, difference in temperatures is what does it. Ice is right - just turn the AC on. Happens in my car pretty much every day

Or just sell the four wheeled, cheese-eating surrender mobile and buy a proper car? :p

And I'd take the advert out of your sig if I were you. :spam:

Nope, difference in temperatures is what does it. Ice is right - just turn the AC on. Happens in my car pretty much every day

and how sure are you no moisture can get inside yours?

if the air is dry, you can't have condensation. period.

Well I suppose I should be the expert on condensation, since the Series III is essentially a biscuit tin but unfortunately I have no remedy for condensation on the windows. You can get anti-condensation sprays that you polish the glass with but I haven't applied that to mine for at least a couple of years so can't comment on the effectiveness. Hot air seems the only efficient way, or a heated screen.

Could put one of those DampAir moisture absorber cups in the cup holder. -p

well you know, air does get into a car either way... doesn't mean you have a leak. So yes, moisture definitely gets into my car but, like I said, not because there is a leak (there isn't one) but because moist air gets in

I don't know man the only cars i have ever owned that had a continual issue with condensation on the inside are my Saab and my super old mirage. In the case of the Saab it is definitely an issue with the sunroof and the mirage ended up having shitty window seals no other car i have ever owned had condensation every day. Now every car is going to get water in it one way or another every now and again either through passengers bringing in snow/rain open windows during rain storms or even breath during the winter months but that will stop after a day or two at the most (if not hours). If you are getting condensation every day i think that is a pretty strong indicator that you probably have a leak somewhere

Last edited:
Lots and lots of these.

silica_gel.jpg

Anyways, I would go with the A/C as well. Defrosters on, put that thing on blast and just wait.

wohoo, thermodynamics! i actually make money explaining stuff like this :dance:

there doesn't have to be a leak... the car could also prevent 'used air' from getting out, see below. also, again see below: you breathe, thus you get moisture into the car. plus, take into account wet shoes, jacket, etc...

if you're inside your car and your heater is working, the air inside the car will be able to 'hold' more water than the colder outside air. and since you're probably breathing while sitting inside your car, you will be giving the air water to hold. then, when you park your car and the air inside it cools down again, it can't store as much water anymore and you get condensation (if the air-moisture is above a certain threshold). most car's will change the air inside constantly and do so efficiently enough to keep the air dry enough so this doesn't happen. however some cars, including mine, don't.

now, what you can do:
AC. Dries the air.

also, if you don't have an AC: after parking, leave your door open for a bit to allow for an exchange of air. if it's foggy, this won't work - it'll actually make it worse(since the water is already condensing out on the outside, you see). if it's relatively dry though, this should at least lessen your problem. you can also TRY this before taking off, but just turning up the heater usually works way better.

I don't know man the only cars i have ever owned that had a continual issue with condensation on the inside are my Saab and my super old mirage. In the case of the Saab it is definitely an issue with the sunroof and the mirage ended up having shitty window seals no other car i have ever owned had condensation every day. Now every car is going to get water in it one way or another every now and again either through passengers bringing in snow/rain open windows during rain storms or even breath during the winter months but that will stop after a day or two at the most (if not hours). If you are getting condensation every day i think that is a pretty strong indicator that you probably have a leak somewhere
Alright, "every day" was an exaggeration but in the fall and winter my windows do fog up pretty often. Not every time I drive the car but certainly a lot more often than they did in my old Nissan

also, if you don't have an AC: after parking, leave your door open for a bit to allow for an exchange of air. if it's foggy, this won't work - it'll actually make it worse(since the water is already condensing out on the outside, you see). if it's relatively dry though, this should at least lessen your problem. you can also TRY this before taking off, but just turning up the heater usually works way better.

This will work in the fog. Not as well obviously, but it will work. We've got some level of fog all the time, so I'll have to know.

Here's why: After driving, the air inside the car may be at 20?C. At 100% relative humidity that would be 17g/m? of water in the air. It's not at 100% obviously though.
Now, if you exchange that air with cold foggy air, let's say 0?C, you're introducing 5g/m? carried in the air plus whatever is there as fog. If your warm air inside the car is at 75% then there should be less total water in the car after letting in the fog.

What I do these days is put down the windows before parking, and put them up after leaving the car. Mostly it removes enough moisture, even in saturated outside air.
Warming up the engine while stationary takes a while, costs fuel, hurts the engine. Getting rid of the moisture in the first place is a much better solution.

Snow covered feet, step in car, turn on heater snow melts off the feet stays on mat, exit car, water on mat, water evaporates (even if its turned to ice it can sublimate into steam) -> moisture in the air inside the car. Cold windshield + moisture = condensation/ice.

Even generally dry air in the car can produce condensation when breath hits cold surfaces, for example when a driver sits inside a car (what an odd concept).
That's why I don't close the door immediately when setting off in the morning. For example, you can put on your seatbelt while exhaling out the door. (Yes I know, windows can be put down... unless they're frozen shut.)

Happens in my car now

At first I thought it could be anything and almost certainly linked with the very sharp changes in temperature we've been having. All the snow brought into the car by feet over the winter, getting into the carpets and underlay, evaporating during the day. But as soon as the sun goes down the temperature turns cold very quickly, evaporate is trapped and is cooled qickly and just condenses on the glass. I thought it could be that I was leaving the climate control on and just shutting the car off, allowing any moisture in the AC unit to come up through the vents. I even thought that it could be my sport. Swimming. Getting out of a hot swimming pool with wet hair, wet kit and getting straight into a ice cold car for a short trip home was putting a lot of moisture into the air of the cabin, which then condenses on the windows. Though it usually does this immediately, especially a car full of swimmers....3 - 2 - 1 - cant see.

But, I have driven the car for a while now, with full temp blasting into the foot wells and venting all the air out of the cabin before shutting off, its bone dry in there now. It still does it and some times its seriously bad, not just a frosty mist on the windscreen, but full on beads of water, like it had been raining inside the car*. The dash and the steering wheel also had condensate on them as well as the rear window (but not the side windows?!). The problem, I'm almost certain now is that there is a leak. Quick look on Skoda forums reveals a fault with my cars Pollen filter seal. In fact it doesn't just affect my car, it affects the VW Passat its based on too (B5.5) and I've seen the official fix letter from VW confirming the problem. The seal around pollen filter rots and lets water in, this water then ends up in the passenger foot well and later under the passenger seat where the ECU is. Around the pollen filters air box there are also bungs to let water drain away, these can get blocked over time with dead leaves and other crud and eventually your pollen filter drowns in water. Removing the bungs completely solves that problem, but might let fumes into the cabin. The fix for the pollen filter seal is simply a new lining of mastic tape (that closed cell foam stuff) and a application of bathroom sealant.

so yeah, try using the heater, exchanging interior air with outside air before parking up (provided the conditions are ok) and turn off/close vents on the climate control before shutting off to trap any moisture in the AC system. If it still does it then it may well be a leak, like mine.

so at the weekend Ill be doing this: http://briskoda.net/forums/blog/18/entry-62-superb-mki-water-ingress-cure/

* Full blast heater did not cure this, even after an hour of driving with 30 deg air coming out the vents I still had water everywhere. The only way I could even get going was to fetch a beach towel and mop the windscreen with it!!

Last edited:
Hey, how do you go about stopping condensation inside the car on the windscreen? It happens a lot and the other week when it was cold it froze leaving me sat in the car waiting for it to thaw in my gloves and truck driver's hat.

Quick fix?
I bet she liked the outfit! Get a motel room - that is all.

Last edited:
Clean the windsheild from the inside. Dirt on the window attracts moisture and helps make it worse than it would be if it were clean.

It needs high moisture and a cold windscreen to happen.
Use AC.
Use AC with fresh air, not this "rotating arrow" circulate interior air thingy.
Remove & Dry Floormats/Carpets.
Feel, if you have wet spots under the carpets (happened to me).
Check window/door sealings with a friend and a waterhose.
Check if all the sealings in the firewall and floorpan are still there.
If you drive a VW, remove all leafes and other shit from the drains at the side of the windshield (where wipers are), otherwise, it floods into your footwell (known issue for all VAG cars until 2009 iirc).