General Anime Thread

The different uniform can probably be explained by Minato being from a different world/school. Because it seems like somehow Subaru was able to go into Minato's world, when she was just trying to get to the observation room (???). While boku is usually used by male, in Clannad Ayu used boku too, so I guess it's not completely impossible for a girl to use boku.

I just started watching Code Geass after copy it from my friend's HD. Storyline is ok-ish. I'm not a big fan of this genre where they take things so seriously and have some gundam ripoffs. The main character's psychological transformation in the first episode is very sudden and a bit over the top. Still watching it, but in a 'meh' attitude.

watched the tenth One Piece movie last night. While it was typical OP fun and i really enjoyed it. it did have a catchy song at the beginning of it that has now remained stuck in my head all day.

[video=youtube;LzmbBUZ-_Zs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzmbBUZ-_Zs[/video]

I just started watching Code Geass after copy it from my friend's HD. Storyline is ok-ish. I'm not a big fan of this genre where they take things so seriously and have some gundam ripoffs. The main character's psychological transformation in the first episode is very sudden and a bit over the top. Still watching it, but in a 'meh' attitude.

I enjoyed it, more or less. Definitely more serious than what I am used to. IIRC it's paced well and there are a few twists that throw you for a loop.

Just started Darker than Black on netflix. so far so good

I cannot understand why there's so much hate against the original FMA series. For one thing, the animation quality is way much better than Brotherhood. Which was so bad and way below average I was tempted to drop it almost immediately (unless if the anime has a good storyline, I immediately drop it if the animation makes me want to vomit). The "truth" and the parallel world concepts were pretty interesting. Even Arakawa-sensei herself enjoyed how the animators portrayed her world.

If I were to give a recommendation to a friend on which one to watch, I'd definitely first mention FMA. While adding the two caveats for Brotherhood: expect below par animation, and a storyline that's tied with the manga.

Mostly because I was a huge fan of the manga so when they went off the rails it kinda pissed me off also the ending of the first FMA is pretty crap even by anime ending standards. I would like to know what fansubs of FMA:B you watched because the version i have has animation that is on par if not slightly better than your average TV show. Sure it's not movie or OVA quality but it's not a movie or OVA so what do you expect.

I just completed Clannad: After Story. I must say it really is a good anime. First time I ever I had any tears from watching an anime.

Anyone seen the Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer movie yet? I saw it recently subtitled, I thought it was actually pretty good.

A nice change from the typical Gundam cliches

Gundam_00_A_Wakening_of_the_Trailblazer.jpg

not even finished watching the second season of Gundam 00 yet. will get around to it and the new film at some point.

maybe i'll watch it later. but its a much better storyline than seed as well, and somewhat closer and similar to previous stories like G gundam, wing and such. Seed was a huge dissapointment for me after half of the original series as the scales of the machine was out of proportion. it also has lead to the new generation of kids that watch gundam (talking about smaller ones) who consider kira yamamoto and freedom gundam to be the best gundam, when in reality, the UC generation and any follow on series before Seed was the real deal - to me at least.

the latest UC generation anime derived from the comic, Gundam Unicorn is my current favourite, although I was disappointed when they turned it into a 6 part OVA series instead it being a 30/40/50 episode anime.

Finished Darker Than Black

loved it. The music was great, done by the same guy that did Cowboy Bebop.

Gotta say i prefer these short, one or two season animes to the super drawn out 500 episode ones.

Bebop, Trigun, Darker than Black, Trinity Blood. etc. all under 30 episodes. perfect.

hell the best anime ive ever seen (FLCL) was only six episodes

hell the best most wierd and mindfucking yet awesome anime ive ever seen (FLCL) was only six episodes

On my third watch and it has only served to confuse me even more.

Last edited:
maybe i'll watch it later. but its a much better storyline than seed as well, and somewhat closer and similar to previous stories like G gundam, wing and such. Seed was a huge dissapointment for me after half of the original series as the scales of the machine was out of proportion. it also has lead to the new generation of kids that watch gundam (talking about smaller ones) who consider kira yamamoto and freedom gundam to be the best gundam, when in reality, the UC generation and any follow on series before Seed was the real deal - to me at least.

the latest UC generation anime derived from the comic, Gundam Unicorn is my current favourite, although I was disappointed when they turned it into a 6 part OVA series instead it being a 30/40/50 episode anime.

Agreed, I've seen 00 seasions 1 & 2 a couple times and finished the movie recently. While on the surface it seems to continue the Gundam Wing trend of bishounen piloting invincible super gundams, it's really only this way in the beginning, as the technology gap seems to close up a lot more quickly than in series past, putting the heroes in some semblance of struggle a lot of the series. And unlike the previous series, the vast majority of the characters are realistic adults, not kids and kind of act more real as well. I like the multinationed portrayal of the earth as opposed to the typical 'space colonists vs the earth govt' cliche that has grown tired in the previous gundam series.

On the surface:

00 season 1 - a ripoff of Wing, but when you really start watching the series, its more than that

00 season 2 - a ripoff of Z Gundam, but again, only the setup is similar, where the story goes is very different.

The main character Setsuna could have easily started off as a character in his 20s, they only made him a teenager for marketing reasons (TV gundam heroes ALWAYS have to be young boys/teens for merchandising while the OVA series can take more chances and put grown ass adults in the Gundam hero role) and thankfully with the time jumps in the series they quickly aged Setsuna into an adult.

00 the movie - I wont spoil anything here, be it said that season 2 really hints strongly at what the premise for the film, and the subject matter of the film...tackles something familiar in a lot of sci-fi anime, but NEVER in Gundam. Some ppl love the movie for this for being different while others hate the film for the same reason.

I'm curious once you guys have seen the movie what camp you fall under.

I personally liked the movie for daring to break strongly from the Gundam mold, as well as finishing the story very definitively and not pulling punches.

Finished Darker Than Black

loved it. The music was great, done by the same guy that did Cowboy Bebop.

Interesting thing about Yoko Kanno (a woman btw), she spent some time in New Orleans very early in her career (before she became well known for composing anime soundtracks, and really got into louisana blues and jazz, that ended up being a big inspiration for the Bebop soundtrack.

I was listening to this anime podcast and one of the hosts was telling a story where he was recently vacationing in New Orleans, was hanging out drinking beer at a jazz club, the band was playing their usual set. Then abruptly the next song was 'Tank' the Bebop theme song, and the podcast guy was completely floored that Kanno's song was embraced by a legit jazz blues act.

00 season 2 - a ripoff of Z Gundam, but again, only the setup is similar, where the story goes is very different.

oddly enough, while i thought that Gundam SEED was based upon the original Gundam UC0079 series, i had often thought that its sequel series Gundam SEED Destiny was based on Gundam Z as well. Although i am yet to see anything that matches the awesomeness and storytelling of the actual Gundam Z show itself.

oddly enough, while i thought that Gundam SEED was based upon the original Gundam UC0079 series, i had often thought that its sequel series Gundam SEED Destiny was based on Gundam Z as well. Although i am yet to see anything that matches the awesomeness and storytelling of the actual Gundam Z show itself.

I'm not even sure Seed Destiny could be compared with Zeta, thats a bit of a stretch, maybe if the show was well written, but we'll never know. Despite being so popular in japan, that show was indeed pretty terrible. Lost everything that was good about Seed and couldn't even keep the main character (Shin) interesting and developed enough to stay the main character so he lost his status and all the Seed characters took the forefront, almost as a punishment for the show being so bad.

Interesting thing about Yoko Kanno (a woman btw), she spent some time in New Orleans very early in her career (before she became well known for composing anime soundtracks, and really got into louisana blues and jazz, that ended up being a big inspiration for the Bebop soundtrack.

I was listening to this anime podcast and one of the hosts was telling a story where he was recently vacationing in New Orleans, was hanging out drinking beer at a jazz club, the band was playing their usual set. Then abruptly the next song was 'Tank' the Bebop theme song, and the podcast guy was completely floored that Kanno's song was embraced by a legit jazz blues act.

yeah, realized my mistake right after i wrote it.

My dad who is a huge jazz/blues fan heard "Tank" and loved it.

Agreed, I've seen 00 seasions 1 & 2 a couple times and finished the movie recently. While on the surface it seems to continue the Gundam Wing trend of bishounen piloting invincible super gundams, it's really only this way in the beginning, as the technology gap seems to close up a lot more quickly than in series past, putting the heroes in some semblance of struggle a lot of the series. And unlike the previous series, the vast majority of the characters are realistic adults, not kids and kind of act more real as well. I like the multinationed portrayal of the earth as opposed to the typical 'space colonists vs the earth govt' cliche that has grown tired in the previous gundam series.

On the surface:

00 season 1 - a ripoff of Wing, but when you really start watching the series, its more than that

The main character Setsuna could have easily started off as a character in his 20s, they only made him a teenager for marketing reasons (TV gundam heroes ALWAYS have to be young boys/teens for merchandising while the OVA series can take more chances and put grown ass adults in the Gundam hero role) and thankfully with the time jumps in the series they quickly aged Setsuna into an adult.

00 the movie - I wont spoil anything here, be it said that season 2 really hints strongly at what the premise for the film, and the subject matter of the film...tackles something familiar in a lot of sci-fi anime, but NEVER in Gundam. Some ppl love the movie for this for being different while others hate the film for the same reason.

I'm curious once you guys have seen the movie what camp you fall under.

I personally liked the movie for daring to break strongly from the Gundam mold, as well as finishing the story very definitively and not pulling punches.

I see where you're getting at and I agree, although I have never really compared any gundam series against each other. although in season 2 00 I thought the "fake" innovators, which can be seen like characters from the Blue Destiny Story or the girl pilot for Nobel Gundam in G Gundam where the federation or whatnots' desperate measure against real innovators, is to modify these normal humans to have abnormal genes to compete against them and i thought was a bit annoying at times cause they are just ruthless with no depth.

but I digested the movie the other day at the end cause I had nothing better to do, waiting for uni offers, and I thought the final battle scene and ending message was actually done very well! I hope that doesn't give too much away for those that has not watched it yet. let me try spoilering it here:

the final battle scene actually reminded me very strongly of the G Gundam final battle in that anime series, where all the forces of the world has gathered to defeat this one monster, and Quantum 00's big sword slash was like shining gundam's shining finger sword, if i have translated that correctly - since i watched it in cantonese back then. the flower was a bit weird to me though, but using was it Einstein's quote for peace is actually very true for todays' world I would say as well as communication between two parties or people is the way to work out problems, not starting wars (if preventable) causing death for no reason.

Now I just want to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.0 you can not advance, maybe I'll get the DVD since there are no english subtitle dubs from the anime subbers yet and it is taking forever to get a chinese subtitle dub.

I love mecca anime too much.:p

the final battle scene actually reminded me very strongly of the G Gundam final battle in that anime series, where all the forces of the world has gathered to defeat this one monster, and Quantum 00's big sword slash was like shining gundam's shining finger sword, if i have translated that correctly - since i watched it in cantonese back then. the flower was a bit weird to me though, but using was it Einstein's quote for peace is actually very true for todays' world I would say as well as communication between two parties or people is the way to work out problems, not starting wars (if preventable) causing death for no reason.

Now I just want to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.0 you can not advance, maybe I'll get the DVD since there are no english subtitle dubs from the anime subbers yet and it is taking forever to get a chinese subtitle dub.

I love mecca anime too much.:p

In response to your spoilers
A lot of viewers were confused why the aliens chose to take the form of the flower at the end, but for those who have been paying attn to the show since season 1, the flower is basically the image Setsuna uses to represent peace in his mind. (seen in random scenes in the show as well as hinted by all the various ED themes)

I like the fact that the aliens didn't speak in a human language to him and they could only communicate with images, but not understand words. When they finally mind melded with Setsuna at the climax, again these aliens didn't suddenly learn how to speak an Earth language and tell the world 'we come in peace' so they did the next easiest thing, take the form of a 'symbol of peace' that humans could understand at a glance, they pulled the most common image from Setsuna's brain....a flower.