Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think stock and unmolested is a coveted rarity on anything more than 10 years old. I haven't done a single modification to the exterior of my truck (well, other than some mudflaps) and it sticks out quite badly now because it is the only one that doesn't have chrome door handles or something stupid like that.

I personally have never understood the idea of decorating ones worktruck in chrome. I can understand like classics, and hotrodded trucks, But I don't get all those fancy smoked lights, chrome wheels and trim that people adorn on their workhorses. What's the point of making it look all fancy if it's just gonna get beat-up anyway?

So Prius in plural is now officially Prii.

and-not-a-single-fuck-500x506.jpg

Latin grammer fail for Toyota.

Just came back from my first actual drive with my new front tyres. They're still all seasons, but holy shit.

This makes me sad because now calling them that is not mocking them anymore.

in other news:
This totally isn't going to backfire with hacking.

Yea, at least the shifter/steering wheel will be locked though. That way no-one can drive off with it.

Then again if they did steal it, they would be doing the owner a favor.

I wish the A class was sold here...it makes so much sense, at least for our market and this model is soooo much better than the old one. (I know many say its very poor value for money in Europe)

I wish the A class was sold here...it makes so much sense, at least for our market and this model is soooo much better than the old one. (I know many say its very poor value for money in Europe)

Again with you and the terrible cars... No, it doesn't make sense here. It makes so little sense, in fact, that the broadly similar premium minicar idea of the (not-so) Smart car has the problem that only 8.1% of the people that bought one would buy another. And that's in New York City, the theoretically ideal place to own one in the US.

Let's also not forget that Mercedes has had huge problems in the US with the C-class moving the perception (and reality) of their brand down-market. The A-class would do massive further damage in that direction. Who the hell wants to pay ~$30,000 for a tiny failwheeldrive Mercedes hatchback that can't do anything a Versa or Fit can't?

Edit: The 'new' one you're looking at is FOUR YEARS OLD. Did you not look at the video date? And if you want that sort of thing, go save yourself a boatload of money and just buy a Nissan Versa 5 door.

Last edited:
Again with you and the terrible cars... No, it doesn't make sense here. It makes so little sense, in fact, that the broadly similar premium minicar idea of the (not-so) Smart car has the problem that only 8.1% of the people that bought one would buy another. And that's in New York City, the theoretically ideal place to own one in the US.

Let's also not forget that Mercedes has had huge problems in the US with the C-class moving the perception (and reality) of their brand down-market. The A-class would do massive further damage in that direction. Who the hell wants to pay ~$30,000 for a tiny failwheeldrive Mercedes hatchback that can't do anything a Versa or Fit can't?

Edit: The 'new' one you're looking at is FOUR YEARS OLD. Did you not look at the video date? And if you want that sort of thing, go save yourself a boatload of money and just buy a Nissan Versa 5 door.

:lol:
Yeah I watched it 4 years ago admittedly, but I just find the idea of a small Mercedes cool as hell. Dunno how I can explain it. It probably feels better inside than a Fit or Yaris...perhaps even Versa. (which is another admitted favorite of mine) I think the Smart would have done better if it retained it's diesel engine. The fuel economy on the gas model ensures a niche audience for it who buy it mostly for space savings.

I just would have thought that the whole "small is the new big" thing would rub off on the luxury segment. What about the 1 series? (which is admittedly pointless as a 5 door hatch)

Last edited:
Who the hell wants to pay ~$30,000 for a tiny failwheeldrive Mercedes hatchback that can't do anything a Versa or Fit can't?
Plenty of people are going to be attracted to the badge and a relatively low entry price. The A-Class was very popular here with posh middle-aged women when it came out, people who didn't care that it was FWD and loved the fact it was small. Not so much any more, but only because things like the Audi A3 and 1-Series have came down in price while the Merc went up.

And on release an A150 3-door cost under AU$30,000 here, so going on the relative prices of cars between .au and the US, it would be considerably cheaper than that if they were ever to sell it there.

Conversely, both the BMW 318ti and the Mercedes C230 coupe failed in the US market. I suspect that it's the hatchback stigma that the US shares with China that helped to torpedo those two cars, while Australia doesn't seem to have that issue. This also might explain why the 1 series is doing fairly ok right now.

Conversely, both the BMW 318ti and the Mercedes C230 coupe failed in the US market. I suspect that it's the hatchback stigma that the US shares with China that helped to torpedo those two cars, while Australia doesn't seem to have that issue. This also might explain why the 1 series is doing fairly ok right now.

Ugh I forgot...outside the enthuiast bubble, hatchback = dirty word here, even though people drive "hatchbacks" all the time and dont realize it.....(cuv's)

I don't think it's 'hatchback' that so much has the stigma as the attempt to sell the hatchback as a premium car. Considering that the manufacturers drummed "hatchback = economy replacement for the sedan and/or wagon" into consumers' heads over here during the 70s and 80s, it's going to be a difficult sale for any 'premium' brand to sell a hatchback.

I have seen a lot of Fiesta hatchbacks of late, as well as Hyundai and Kia hatches. So I don't think it's the 'hatch' part of the equation that is the problem per se.

It also didn't help that the C230 'coupe' was a steaming pile of underengineered garbage (with an unreliable engine if you got the Kompressor option.) And that most of the 'premium hatchback' attempts we've gotten over the years were similarly terrible. My family had a 1988 Saab 9000 Turbo 5-door hatch that Dad bought new... actually, do I really need to say anything more about its massive lack of reliability? :p

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of Fiesta hatchbacks of late, as well as Hyundai and Kia hatches. So I don't think it's the 'hatch' part of the equation that is the problem per se.
There is also the fact that that price range would be what people around my age would be buying as first new cars, and I don't actually know anyone in my age group that really prefers sedans over hatchbacks. They might slightly, but it would be in the same level as they would prefer a certain color. I don't think there is that much of a stigma with it now as there was.
On another note, GIRLS I know like hatchbacks better, small hatchback = cute. When I say girls I don't just mean my age group, my mom and aunt for example would like a cute little hatchback.

Well, I drive a small (and red!) hatchback, and no one spat on the windshield.... yet :p
I think the problem lies in the average consumer in the US, who can't allow himself to buy an A-class, or a Smart, or stuff like that - mostly because his neighbour's got an F150. It's a bit like wanting to walk around with a pink Lacoste shirt, but fearing the reactions of people around. (Not that I say that mercs are pink, it's just the same sort of provocation IMO)

Also, is the Nissan Versa considered an upmarket car over there in the US? I'm asking because in the holy landzors Nissan's importer brought the Qashqai to replace the Almera (you probably know it as Pulsar), but they didn't want to lose the 'small family car' segment so they brought the Versa (and renamed it Tiida) to compensate for the lack of 3-box/hatchback Hyundai i30 competitor. And, well, it feels exactly like it's meant to be - like it's filling a gap in the market, the sort of car people drive because they have it on lease from their work places, not because they wanted to.