Autoblog: Nissan ad campain: vandalism, or just pissing people off?

Nissan ad campain: vandalism, or just pissing people off?

• Very Angry

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • Somewhat Angry

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • Somewhat Positive

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Very Positive

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
You do not touch another man's car. THE END.
Fuck you, Nissan.
I mean, just put the blondes there and say "you could fuck us in the backseat of a GT-R, but your Porsche has no real one". That would work.

nissan-gtr-demotivational-poster-1222890704.jpg

And keep making videos like this one, IMO:

And keep racing exactly what they build.

Nissan chickened out on the V6 when it came to making a proper GT racing version and they slotted in a 5.6(?) V8 for the cars built for the GT1 World Championship. Plus it looked horrible alongside things like the Ford GT1, the Murcielago or the MC12, far too tall and fat. Porsche build the flat-six for the road and also STILL race it very well indeed.

Last edited:
Last November I had the chance to actually meet the people who made that ad, kinda funny how composed they were when I questioned them about applying the decal (It is a static based foil that sticks onto the glass). Personally I think you should never touch someone else's ride without permission.

I want names, addresses and a list of cars owned by each.

To be honest I wouldn?t really mind if someone from Nissan puts a note on my Porsche. But that?s mostly because Porsche isn?t that close to my heart. However, I don?t like that way of advertising/getting peoples attention. It?s reminds me a bit of Audis Super bowl commercials. Making others look worse or stupid to make yourself look better. Why not just build some properly good cars?

Some of these people might have bought a Porsche and realized a dream by doing so. Although a lot of the Porsche drivers probably just bought it because it?s a Porsche and that?s what you buy if you have got some money left, Nissan is in some ways trying to ruin it for the people who really love their cars.

I?m all with the "don?t touch another persons car" crowd ... I already get pissed when I come back to my car to find one of these used-car salesmen has stuck his card behind my door ...

A friend of mine caused a stir once when he collected all the "I BUY EVERY CAR CALL AHMED" notes on the uni car park and stuck them onto all the cars outside a BMW dealership at night. Fun.

no doubt, we all had some sort of advertisement flier/card put on our cars every now and again. i know i had my fair share as well and it is a bit of a nuisance. but i wouldn't go as far as to call it vandalism. it is a bit more, putting a removable windsheild/windscreen decal on another person's car. i'm sure no damages have ever occurred during the process and even if they did happen to damage a car, the slightest way, and the owner proves that Nissan's advertisement were the culprit, i'm sure Nissan will pay for such damages.

not like they had the models run around with brake fluid and a rag and wiping off the paint to spell out "GET A GT-R NOW".

Seriously, you guys need to calm the fuck down. It's not like those stickers left any damage or residue on the windshield. It looks like that same film that you take off a new TV's or phone's screen.

I'd say I'd be indifferent. I wouldn't be particularly pleased I would have to go out of my way to remove it, but at the same time, there are more important things to get upset over. It's not like I get pissed when I have to pull a flyer from a local business, event, etc. out from under my windshield wiper when my car is parked in a high traffic area. It's simple marketing, I guess. Not to condone it, or promote it, but it's actually a kind of clever little idea they had to place a rear end photo of a GT-R right in the driver's view. If it left any sort of residue after removal, that wouldn't be too cool.

Do you get pissed off when people step foot on your property to innocently place a little something on your front door knob/handle? Is it an invasion of your space, privacy, and property, or just something you shouldn't think twice about, and leave it at face value?

Seriously, you guys need to calm the fuck down. It's not like those stickers left any damage or residue on the windshield. It looks like that same film that you take off a new TV's or phone's screen.

This.

You guys are way overreacting. It isn't like they came along and spray painted "BUY A GT-R" onto the hood. This is no different than those fliers people stick under your windscreen wipers. Annoying, but hardly worth getting all worked up for.

I'd be indifferent .... but having to "wad up" the cling and dispose of it would make me angry (as it does with any advertising shit I find under the wiper blades). It isn't the risk of vandalism that disturbs me .. it is the wasting of my time disposing of the material.

As for "rival brands" ... I would not consider Nissan a rival to Porsche. The GT-R might rival some Porsches for performance, but that is all. The rest of the package is lacking. The warranty issues, the legal interference with gray imports, their Ferrari-like Nurburgring effort. If I were the engineers at Nissan I would be well pissed with the marketing department, who have taken a very good car and ruined it's image by trying to make it something it isn't ... an exclusive, prestige product. Reputation is something that needs to be earned, not claimed. The old Skyline GT-R R32 earned its reputation on the race track. From the outset, the GT-R's reputation has been manufactured by marketing (including the Nurburgring time).

I'd say I'd be indifferent. I wouldn't be particularly pleased I would have to go out of my way to remove it, but at the same time, there are more important things to get upset over. It's not like I get pissed when I have to pull a flyer from a local business, event, etc. out from under my windshield wiper when my car is parked in a high traffic area. It's simple marketing, I guess. Not to condone it, or promote it, but it's actually a kind of clever little idea they had to place a rear end photo of a GT-R right in the driver's view. If it left any sort of residue after removal, that wouldn't be too cool.

Do you get pissed off when people step foot on your property to innocently place a little something on your front door knob/handle? Is it an invasion of your space, privacy, and property, or just something you shouldn't think twice about, and leave it at face value?

Yes. Especially with the "NO SOLICITING" sign. We even had two "NO TRESPASSING" signs up for a while because a contractor that tried to rip us off was working at our neighbor's house. At one point they pulled into our driveway for a few minutes and I had to go chase them off and point at the sign. (Oh, that was over two years ago and my neighbor still doesn't have a yard back. The contractor took his money and then went out of business.)

Even with to No Trespassing signs and one No Soliciting sign we still got people knocking on the door and leaving fliers on the handle. I honestly think I would need to sit on the porch with a shotgun to keep the damn solicitors and missionaries away.

Last edited:
I clicked "indifferent". That's how I always felt about the Nissan GT-R anyway.

You know, I have seen (and heard!) the new Mercedes SLS two times on the streets by now. I yet have to see a Nissan GT-R in real life.

That says it all.

And on a side note: I already get pissed, when secondhand car dealers stick their cards behind my windscreen wipers. So if I was a Porsche driver and had seen those girls doing what they do in that Nissan commercial, I would have probably followed them and then poured a can of pink colour over the car. Hahaha, funny, no damage to the car at all, or? :whistle:

Last edited:
I don't see how "23% more people wanted to testdrive it" is a good thing.
I mean, Porsche drivers need a laugh sometimes too :p they probably testdrove it and did LC launches 20 times in a row for the lulz :p

This.

You guys are way overreacting. It isn't like they came along and spray painted "BUY A GT-R" onto the hood. This is no different than those fliers people stick under your windscreen wipers. Annoying, but hardly worth getting all worked up for.

Quoted for truth. You guys are making it sound like they slaughtered a bus full of school children.

Quoted for truth. You guys are making it sound like they slaughtered a bus full of school children.

It's a waste of money, fuel, plastics and my time. They had to drive around and look for Porsches, they had to have the film manufactured, they had to have ANOTHER crew drive around and film them. I would have to get out of my car after I just got in and remove the film then find a place to throw it out. How many people would throw it out into regular trash vs recyclable? How many people would just toss it on the street?

No one who drives a Porsche would consider a GT-R period. There are only two types of people who buy them, those who buy them for status and those who buy them for performance. The former need the badge and could care less about 0-60 times and the ring. The latter are well aware of the GT-R and have already ruled it out along with many other cars.

So the entire campaign is waste of time, money, materials and fuel.

It's a waste of money, fuel, plastics and my time. They had to drive around and look for Porsches, they had to have the film manufactured, they had to have ANOTHER crew drive around and film them. I would have to get out of my car after I just got in and remove the film then find a place to throw it out. How many people would throw it out into regular trash vs recyclable? How many people would just toss it on the street?

I never knew marketing your product was a waste of time and money, someone better inform the multinationals before they all go bankrupt! It wastes 5 to 10 seconds to remove the piece of plastic on your car, a couple more seconds to see if there is a bin, if there isn't then just take it home and recycle it there. Maybe the extra 5 steps will be the critical amount of exercise to stop someone from going into cardiac arrest from obesity complications. Nissan should be awarded for their philanthropy.

No one who drives a Porsche would consider a GT-R period.

Source?

There are only two types of people who buy them, those who buy them for status and those who buy them for performance. The former need the badge and could care less about 0-60 times and the ring. The latter are well aware of the GT-R and have already ruled it out along with many other cars.

Source?

So the entire campaign is waste of time, money, materials and fuel.

This is your opinion, not fact, and don't confuse your opinion with fact. Otherwise we'll have to inform sport car manufactures, Formula 1 teams and Privateer design firms that their cars should always have a 50/50 distribution and their current rear bias is incorrect.

I simply don't want anyone to touch my car, end of. You may think different about your car, but seemingly, this thread is full of people like me. I don't care if they don't damage it, they don't touch it - period.

Also, Nissan may think this is a witty campaign, but it isn't. I would love to own a Nissan GT-R, I really would. I like that car. Owning a Porsche however, I wouldn't anymore, because for me, a Porsche is better in every regard. The Nissan may beat it figure-wise in a couple of categories, but at the end of a day, a Nissan still is a Nissan, and a Porsche is a Porsche. I know a couple of people who one day fulfilled their dream of owning a Porsche. I am 110% positive noone could have talked any of these people into buying a GT-R instead. I would even go as far to claim that anyone who could be talked into that is out of his mind.

If one can "only" afford a GT-R, it sure is a fine choice. If one can afford a GT-R or a 911 Turbo, the choice becomes irrelevant, because there is no point in choosing the former over the latter, and I doubt anyone would.

Last edited: