Which do you prefer: Chatter or quiet

Which do you prefer: Chatter or quiet

• Total voters

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Which do you ideally wish or could live in: A buzzing city with lots of activity and people to talk to or a quiet remote area in the countryside with very little nearby company?

Made this poll because recently when I was chatting on skype and then moved to a push-to-talk chatting application... I was unnerved as FUCK. I couldn't stand the silence for more than 5 minutes before I started panicking.

So I'm pretty sure that I need social activity and chatter, I'm too much of a social bee. While I do love to think once in a while and have my zone and bubble where I pretend I'm the greatest chick magnet or goku in SSJ2 form, I still badly need the chatter and talk.

So vote and discuss.

So vote and discuss.
I don?t like it when things get too loud. I?ve lived downtown for almost 10 years so I?ve got some tolerance for noise, but there is also a point where I leave a room when it get?s too noisy for my taste. In the countryside, it?s also not silent - but the sounds and the level of noise is much more pleasant. Singing birds, the wind in the trees, the noise of the ocean on a beach (we have a word for that in German - tried to look it up, put figures there is no such word in english - wich is odd) ... I like that. Hanging out 30 minutes in the countryside or just in the park under a tree is like a vacation for me. So I guess I prefer quiet. While that doesn?t mean total silence ... I?d get mad in a isolation-box ...

edit: on the vote "Which type of city could you live in?", I?m sort of missing the option "I could live in all of those" ... because I can. But what you can do isn?t always what you want, right?
:p

To answer the question in the Poll - I like to have it all. I loved living in a big town with lots of activity and stuff ... but I also liked getting out of there from time to time. To take a break from it all, from the Noise, the movement ... and then dive back into it again. But constantly living in a big town wears me out and constantly living in the countryside would bore me.

Last edited:
Azeroth up in this bitch.

It's why I don't really know anyone IRL apart from my gf and my family :\

Oh lordy, give me the quiet. I love time out where I don't have to deal with people. Although at work, I need the stimulation.

One of the places I live on a regular basis is a farm. Sitting out the side of the house, glass of wine in hand, evidence of humanity far away, listening to the birds and frogs and crickets is just wonderful, particularly after a day of 'needy' colleagues. I do love (most) of the team I have at present. A good bunch of people, great sense of humour, and work is so much more fun when there is lots of laughing going on.

Living waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out is a PITA, just for supplies and getting to see friends and such, but small country town within 1/2 hour of the city (or larger country town) is fine with me.

And no one complains when the stereo is on 11.

I wouldn't like to be under a rock, but just next to it :p
Even here where I live (city of ~10000) I often think there are too many people, I can go around at home in complete silence doing whatever and be perfectly happy about it.

I like living in small towns. Not so far out in the boondocks that you have to drive for a while just to see another human being, but I like quiet streets and being able to relax. I'd much rather drive ten minutes down a mostly-empty road to the grocery store than fight through traffic to get to one just down the block. So I pretty much hate where I live right now. :p

I'm voting rock just in defiance of my dad, who thinks that:

big city = economic development
economic development = developed country

Therefore:
UK = not that developed

Jesus-Facepalm.jpg

I'd LOVE to live ideally somewhere between Small City and Very Remote Area. But unfortunately, unless I decide to use my majors of study to teach high schoolers, I doubt I'll see that happen.

Though, my relatives all live out in Very Remote Area, and in fact I'm visiting them this weekend. It's a lovely place.

I'm voting rock just in defiance of my dad, who thinks that:

big city = economic development
economic development = developed country

Therefore:
UK = not that developed

I'm not sure I agree with his reasoning, only with his conclusion. London is one of the "top 20" largest cities in the world, for example.

Anyway, my take: I loved living in London with the nightlife, access to events and so on, but hated living in a small town and commuting in. On the other hand, I'd go (even more) mental without human contact, if I lived in the middle of nowhere - I'd probably end up with a Robinson Crusoe beard and never wear any clothes.

Can I have an option "Dictator - everyone should just be quiet when I say so"?

It varies with my mood. I voted Small City as that's what it is normally, but right now I would much rather crawl under a rock and die.

But I can't help but think that one of my dream locations to live would be in the middle of no-where, with no-one to disturb me but the sound of my own V8.

Depends really. If I'm around my circle of friends I dont really mind where I am. Unfortunately at the moment I'm not which makes me a bit lonely sometimes. I like towns but I like being within easy reach of the city when the need arises.

I'll have to go with small city, but on the outskirts of big city. Sort of like a satellite town. That way I can have my house where it's nice and quiet ... and much safer. At the same time though, a nice commute downtown can give access to all kinds of excitement. And that's what I like: the quiet life with enormous amounts of excitement for very short periods of time.

in the middle of nowhere! that must be awesome!

i don't think i would be wearing clothes though...

Give me a quiet countryside please. Living in a tiny village between two cities and i love it.

Large Metropolitan Area, ideally over 3-4 million people. The cities in America I would live in are Chicago, NYC, LA, San Fran, San Diego, DFW, Austin(exception but its awesome), Miami, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston, Nashville, Phoenix, Seattle.

I've lived in a small town, and it was fun in its own way when I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult there is no way I could live there. I need museums, and fine dining, and large theaters/venues who comedians and bands almost always put on their tours.

I like to live NEAR a big city, to have access to all of the benefits, but be able to avoid it otherwise....

So basically where I am now. Worcester is a few minutes' drive away and Boston is under an hour.

I like to live NEAR a big city, to have access to all of the benefits, but be able to avoid it otherwise....

So basically where I am now. Worcester is a few minutes' drive away and Boston is under an hour.

That's basically where I've always lived. I grew up 30 miles outside Chicago at the edge of the suburbs. It was a nice mix of small town, big city and rural. Now I'm in a smallish town outside St. Louis (which isn't really a big city anymore, but has the remnants from when it was).

Obviously the ideal solution would be a quiet place where you would have peace if you wanted and have all the people and activities within reach when you want those things.