Dragon Age 2

And it's insane that they took I think like four years to make Origins and then II is coming out a year and a half later. They must have had a DAII team rolling before Origins was even done, it's not like they've even reused much of anything with the completely different art style and all.

If they did with the DA series like they've done with the ME series, they started working on the sequel before they were done on the original game.

I played through as a Rogue in the demo. And I must say, the combat is a LOT more satisfying. It was much more streamlined and fluid. Each turn flowed into the next and it was great just pressing the abilities out and watching Garrett swing the blades. Now I don't have to purposely walk around the people to do a backstab and all that tedium. The camera is much closer, giving an arcade feel, which isn't bad, because the high tactical approach just didn't appeal too much to me.

That said, the landscape outside is just as bleak and it's just more of the same Blight, Darkspawn, stuff. And I really lost interest due to that. I love Isabella, though. She has epic assets. Won't buy it so soon. Maybe a year later after the price drops.

I just tried the demo, but after the first wave of enemies I couldn't put up with the controls any more. Having to constantly click on a single enemy while the camera moves around is annoying and tedious as hell, and controls in general feel stupid. I might give it another shot, maybe check out other control setups, but while the game itself looks good, this makes it a no-go for me.

Then play it on PC, shitty control problem solved! Even though it's somewhat consolized it's still better on PC.

Also, the game isn't shipping with high res textures, you're going to have to download them. Weird. Especially weird since the DA team just learned what compression is and DA2 will take up less than half the space as DA:O in all it's hardly compresed glory.

I did play on PC.

lol. :lol:

Although it's just a demo I'm trying to hold off on any DA2 material ... I'm a completionist and would like to know what the hell happened to Morrigan and her kid.

Then for God's sake play the demo man!
If you finish it while signed in to your online account you're supposed to get a free item unlock once the full game comes out.

I did play on PC.

Well, then, I don't understand your complaint. My camera only does what I tell it (hold right mouse and then the mouse controls the camera) and you should only have to click on an enemy once unless you're tossing area spells.

It seemed as though he would only attack when I clicked, because if I clicked an enemy, he would attack once and then stand there like a moron.

It seemed as though he would only attack when I clicked, because if I clicked an enemy, he would attack once and then stand there like a moron.
Ahh yeah... I found that really retarded too.

If you're on PC I don't know why would be experiencing that, for me combat is just like DA:O, right click once and you keep doing your base attack unless you use an area spell/ability. It should only be SPAM A A THOUSAND MILLION TIMES on the consoles. I don't even see any options (of what little is available to be changed) that would affect that. Unless you're using a gamepad/controller maybe...

Last edited:
What we're finding annoying is that, yes, it'll keep attacking one guy with the base attack until he/she's dead, but if you just don't click anything, the PC will just stand there and not automatically base attack any one else around him/her.

That's how DA1 worked isn't it? I remember playing DA1 at a friend's house, you need to pause and issue command to the characters otherwise they'll just stand there.

unless tactics were used then yes....
although tactics in DA2 demo were kinda borked (imo). Hopefully they'll be better in the actual game.

That's how DA1 worked isn't it? I remember playing DA1 at a friend's house, you need to pause and issue command to the characters otherwise they'll just stand there.
I believe so. Been long since I played DA1.

What we're finding annoying is that, yes, it'll keep attacking one guy with the base attack until he/she's dead, but if you just don't click anything, the PC will just stand there and not automatically base attack any one else around him/her.

And what games where you control one character (at a time) let you run on full auto pilot? Really, are there any, because I don't play many RPGs any more since it's mostly either MMOs, which I don't do, or trash, good single player RPGs are rare. Why shouldn't you have to select your targets yourself? If you're not going to choose another target you should stand around like a dumbo because that's what you're telling your character to do. The PC should never be controlled by AI, that's just wrong. And I'm pretty sure tactics only take effect on party members you're not controlling.

And are you sure you're on the same page as Smib? He said he attacks once, which is how the consoles play.

Yeah, we're seeing different things. I'll give it another try this week after I get my new GPU and monitor.

Played a little bit of the PS3 version of the game, surprisingly I think it's a lot better than the first game. Maybe they really dumbed it down for the console version, but the enemies seems easier to kill and it's actually possible to play without pausing every 5 seconds. Of course I guess as the game progress and the enemies gets harder this might not be possible. Needing to pausing constantly is the major reason that I didn't play the first game, the second reason was the dumb AI. The AI is still pretty bad compred to other coop games like RE5 or L4D2, but at least now the standard tatics seems to work ok. I still need to jump from character to character from time to time, but it's workable so far.