Well, it's not exactly a car ... (2005 Volkswagen Caddy TDI)

Just plain awesome. I'd drive the nuts off of it. Also, X2 on the VR6. Mid-mounted, of course :D

First off: really nice van.
The wheels look nice, and as someone mentioned above these can improve anything.
As about the increased wear and tear: sure the radius adds to the transferred torque, but the weight has some meaning too. Have you compared the weight of the old wheels to the new ones?. Would be nice to know the difference in unsprung weight.

The VR6 should fit in the enginebay. If you want to use the cargospace, I'd go for the 4.2l Audi V8, probably supercharged as seen and heard here.

That looks sweet. I'm looking at doing the same to my new car (lower suspension, new rims and spacers) along the line (probably in the summer or autumn). How much did the suspension mod cost?

The wheels, tires & coilovers I got through the trade at cost price so I'm not sure of how much they retail at.

Just plain awesome. I'd drive the nuts off of it. Also, X2 on the VR6. Mid-mounted, of course :D

First off: really nice van.
The wheels look nice, and as someone mentioned above these can improve anything.
As about the increased wear and tear: sure the radius adds to the transferred torque, but the weight has some meaning too. Have you compared the weight of the old wheels to the new ones?. Would be nice to know the difference in unsprung weight.

The VR6 should fit in the enginebay. If you want to use the cargospace, I'd go for the 4.2l Audi V8, probably supercharged as seen and heard here.

The standard wheels are very heavy so I can't see there being much of an increase. That said, I must weight them and find out.

No plans of any mad engine swaps, this will be the sensible daily driver / long distance hauler forever more. It just means that in the future I can run an E39 M5 along side it :)

Can you ask your tuner buddies if I'd need to get new dampers if I get new springs with 1.4" drop? They sell those for about $200-250. Or is that too cheap for stuff like that? I think your buddies would be more knowledgable than some forumistas.

If the dampers aren't leaking and look okay, you'll have no problems running new lowering springs on them. Springs are a much cheaper option but I needed to go the coilover route as I needed a major drop (100mm once they've settled)

Thats a properly sweet van. And now I want a set of BBS wheels as well - If only they wern't so expensive in Australia...

Any suggestions on a set of 15" Multi-spokes?

Last edited:
God your van is awesome.

If the dampers aren't leaking and look okay, you'll have no problems running new lowering springs on them. Springs are a much cheaper option but I needed to go the coilover route as I needed a major drop (100mm once they've settled)
The dampers are just fine. I hope. I'll see during the next scheduled service. Or before if I'm curious. The car seemed to behave like brand new and there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Real nice ride, I always like those modified VW vans (and light trucks) they're always look good when lowered and a nice set of wheels on them.
Did you change something on the engine yet? Or is it chip tuned?

I've changed many of those alternator pulleys in the last 2 years but it's the first time of hearing that one fell apart.
Our customers always wanted them to change because they're making odd noises.

Two questions:

1) Did you accomplish your goal of car-like handling? How does it drive?
2) Have you lived up to your Nurburgring sticker?
3) Why is a diesel van so awesome?

It's also worth mentioning that I love the color.

Yes, I know that was three questions.

Real nice ride, I always like those modified VW vans (and light trucks) they're always look good when lowered and a nice set of wheels on them.
Did you change something on the engine yet? Or is it chip tuned?

I've changed many of those alternator pulleys in the last 2 years but it's the first time of hearing that one fell apart.
Our customers always wanted them to change because they're making odd noises.

Engine is still standard, it actually has a small boost leak that I've meant to sort for ages but keep putting off. Once it's fixed I'll have it remapped (160BHP, 275 FT/LBS, 60MPG)

Two questions:

1) Did you accomplish your goal of car-like handling? How does it drive?
2) Have you lived up to your Nurburgring sticker?
3) Why is a diesel van so awesome?

It's also worth mentioning that I love the color.

Yes, I know that was three questions.

1. Yes - It's gone from handling properties akin to that of a large sea vessel to sharp and poised with very little roll.
2. Yes
3. It's just really practical for me, it's comfortable, has usable every day power, it (now) looks respectable and is very economical. It also carries a shit load of camera gear comfortably and I can sleep in the back. It's cheap to tax as it is classed as a commercial vehicle and insurance is cheaper as well.

Awesome Caddy. I love small vans like this (Doblo, Transit Connect, Caddy, Kangoo, etc.) and yours looks great. :)

Loving the van and what you've done to it. A nice adaptation to the VDub thing :p

Part of me would love to do that to the Kangoo, but its too old and falling apart...

wow, those caddies can handle big rims!

http://img687.imageshack.**/img687/4626/img0010b.jpg

19" wheels, doesn't look to big at all

Cause of the full design. If you went for something with thin spokes, it'd look a lot different.

Also, are those BENTLEY WHEELS?