Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

IDK actually. I haven't taken it in to have it actually evaluated because I am assuming I can't afford it :/

I finally managed to figure out how to remove the stock headunit on my car. Now that the old one's out, I need to get a new one.

A store near my work has this for $299:

cde_w203.png

Its a little more than the JVC I was looking at, but you guys reckon its worth it?

I'd also say its worth it. I've got 2 Alpine decks in my vehicles and their performance has been impeccable.

I could get a single-din and a bracket instead to lower the cost of the install. In that case, any particular recommendations?

I'm also slightly worried about having a pricey headunit in my car...

Last edited:
Its $299 because its on special at that store. They normally retail for about $500+ here...

Its $299 because its on special at that store. They normally retail for about $500+ here...

there you go then, get the damn thing :p
few years back i got myself an alpine headunit, thought it was slightly expensive seeing all the cheaper alternatives, but i'm more than happy with it still :)

Huge markdown is huge! DO IT! :p

So, today I paid $42.50 -ish AUD to fill up my Jazz's itty bitty tank from roughtly 3/4 empty. That's the most I have ever paid to fill up my car since I got it. Last time I filled up from around the same mark was just over $35.00 AUD. Thankyou very much Libyan Crisis and long weekend profiteering!

Hey, you're still paying a lot less for gas than other people....

The most I've paid to fill up was around $130 for the big 'ol gas guzzlin' Benz with it's rather large tank and thirst for premium. Dude.

We should have a contest! Post your receipts! There'll be no winners, only losers!:D

@ nsx_23 True, but when you have no income and are surviving on savings until you've finished studying....

It's hard choice for a girl to make...petrol or teaching resources for my course. :gulp:

At least yours doesn't need V-Power or equivalent. The difference in price between premium and regular unleaded is pretty unbelievable.

Last edited:
Indeed, I was just surprised at the fact that I've never paid that much before, seeing as my car isn't exactly a gas guzzler and can take standard unleaded. My brother put petrol in my mum's 306 the other day and $30 didn't even fill the tank halfway.

Withe the 323F, it used to be "fill the tank with 70 euro, drive 700km". It's no longer like that.

Irony 101: having a car named after a winter olympics city, and the only winter sport you do with it is digging it out from under a ton of snow. I did hoon around town for a bit to compensate for the lack of use.

At least this Alpine doesn't look like ass, I'd say it's worth it just for that.

I agree. I hate how 99% of aftermarket headunits look.