The Android thread

You got the better end of that deal. :D

Exactly what I told him. I got it for $100 :D

And since my sister and him got the iPhone I've found that it's even worse than I first thought! :O

Has anybody here ever tried one of the internet tablets from Archos?

I haven't...I've actually been disappointed in the lack of tablets that are out for people to play with here in general. Sure there's iPad...but the only other one you usually see on display at a computer store or w/e is the Galaxy Tab 7 inch. I'd love to see more of these "2nd tier" (I know..Archos is big..but no "non geek" has heard of them) tablets on display so I could play with them and stuff.

Hell even my work (CVS) is selling a tablet and we have plenty in boxes yet no display units or w/e. :/

Best Buy in California had some Archos tablets way back in early November. And I saw some 7" Viewsonic tablet I'd never even heard about in London Drugs here last week.

Or just go to B&N and look at the Nook color. :D

There are a million tablets, but most of them are crap. I'd stay away from anything Archos, they tend to have so-so build quality, crippled software, and they charge you enable features. Poor customer support and buggy firmware are also common.

Has anybody here ever tried one of the internet tablets from Archos?

I haven't...I've actually been disappointed in the lack of tablets that are out for people to play with here in general. Sure there's iPad...but the only other one you usually see on display at a computer store or w/e is the Galaxy Tab 7 inch. I'd love to see more of these "2nd tier" (I know..Archos is big..but no "non geek" has heard of them) tablets on display so I could play with them and stuff.

Hell even my work (CVS) is selling a tablet and we have plenty in boxes yet no display units or w/e. :/

I remember seeing some test from YT-user jkkmobile thought most is presenting new stuff and modding the netbooks.

Sitting in the St Louis airport, found a pocket of 4G and proceded to tether my phone:

1201160542.png

Not too shabby! :D

The Android version of Angry Birds Rio, is launching exclusively on the Amazon Appstore.
Angry Birds Rio soon available for all platforms in appstores worldwide!

Our 'freebie' Angry Birds had to end sooner or later. It also means installing Amazon Appstore. :(
Dual stores are bad.

Our 'freebie' Angry Birds had to end sooner or later. It also means installing Amazon Appstore. :(
Dual stores are bad.

Amazon's app store = pointless. I hope they fail.

Amazon has their own Android app store? :?

I'm kind of over Angry Birds, I still play it sometimes but I'm not crazy about it. The novelty has worn off and Rovio aren't doing themselves any favours by porting the game to every single device they can think of.

What games are you guys playing on your Android these days? I just took up Wordfeud again since getting the Nook.

I really hated this thing for the first day I had it, but with this mysterious underground Froyo ROM it's pretty damn nice.

Where can I get this? I am rooted already, but it could use some help!

Amazon has their own Android app store? :?

I'm kind of over Angry Birds, I still play it sometimes but I'm not crazy about it. The novelty has worn off and Rovio aren't doing themselves any favours by porting the game to every single device they can think of.

Same, it's over saturation to the extreme. Oddly, while I have a few games on my phone, I don't play them often. :)

I am playing X Construct at least once a day usually... it is whoopin' me pretty good right now! I also have another one called Tank Hero that is pretty fun but gets stupidly hard once you get over level 15. This discussion might be better suited to the app thread though, don't want to get too far off topic here!

Where can I get this? I am rooted already, but it could use some help!

The ROM I was talking about is 2.2 but the guy quit posting his stuff on XDA, apparently because while his ROM is awesome and free he was also selling a help manual for monies to noobs who needed help.

Anyway, I found a link to his YouTube video which is updated with his latest, currently it's 2.2 REV311 I believe.

It's a really smooth ROM, only downside is he has put lots of junk apps in there but all you need to do is go in and uninstall them after flashing the ROM. But personally I'm using Cynaogenmod 7 right now because it's the only ROM that has Bluetooth enabled... CM7 is pretty smooth and stable as well and it's 2.3 Gingerbread which is great, only downside is that they haven't got video working on CM7 for the Nook color yet so you're limited in terms of multimedia for now.

Sold my Captivate this morning, picking up an HTC Inspire after work.

I was really underwhelmed by the Nook's screen quality, and I realized this probably had to do with all the default wallpapers being intended for smaller screens.

I'm having a hard time with it though and it's driving me insane. Now, I know the rule of thumb for Android is to double the width of the image, so if you have a 480x800 screen you make a 960x800 picture. So since the Nook is 600x1024 the wallpaper size would be 1200x1024.

But this thing is a tablet, so I want to use it landscape mode only, so no sense in using a 1200x1024 image and have Android crop it poorly. But doubling the pixels to 2048x600 does not work, you get some funny extra wide photo that Android crops as soon as you set as the wallpaper.

So my question is, are landscape wallpaper ratios different? I really want to get the exact right size because it makes an unbelievable amount of difference.

Last edited: