What you guys think about a DeLorean Film on TG

georgeisoff

After watching to much Top Gear during the spring break and watching some the epic films about machines of history such as the Aston Martin Vantage, the Lagonda, the Probe 16, and so many others like the E-type Jag and Maseratis, I could not help myself thinking why they have not yet done a DeLorean film.

I was fantasizing myself inside my head it would be great to make the film with a bit of taste and history and the depths of the development of the DMC 12 and the whole John DeLorean Scandal.
Think of it as "The Last King of Scotland" about John Delorean and the ups and downs of his professional and personal life. The guy thought he was a rock star of the automotive industry "Living the Dream"

It seems to me weird that they haven't done it already. It think the guys and Andy just happened to forget about it.

I mean The DeLorean was British made by British hands and even the government got involved. It would be fantastic to make the DeLorean a proper tribute film just like the Lacia 7 Great Cars.
It was great in every way. Apart from the fact that it was Rubbish. (just like the Countach)

The propeller of GM...

hrdp_0909_12_z+pontiac_retrospective+john_deLorean.jpg

and and man behind the Pontiac GTO

delorean_pontiac.jpg

muscle-cars-history-the-pontiac-gto-5493_2.jpg

Maried to a beautiful supermodel

org_delorean.jpg
2057711202_f76de7cf74.jpg

Teamed with one of the most successful Italian designers and British racing companies

Giorgetto-Giugiaro-1-355x266.jpg
lotus-logo-20090102-250.jpg

Now owner of his sports car company

accsa.jpg

Of what it later become on the the greatest and cult worthy cars of all time

wm_delorean_interior_time_circuits1.96pkrfgx6hwkkcsww0cgs0ks8.bs5ta3qbusggw484oswskggs8.th.jpeg

wm_doc_brown_house_delorean_car_copy.4y4bnr86ka4o4cogo808804g8.bs5ta3qbusggw484oswskggs8.th.jpeg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The guy was a rock star of the automotive industry "Living the Dream"

The guy was a crook, who made a whole government subsidy disappear (apparently in the direction of drug traffickers) and whose mismanagement/chicanery put hundreds of people out of work in Belfast - a city which, at that time, needed DeLorean like a hole in the head.

DeLorean didn't actually get involved in drug trafficking. He got involved in a sting operation that stopped him, and this was because he was desperate to come up with some cash to save his failing car company.

I'd like to see them review a DMC-12 with some added background about DeLorean the man. To see it done in Belfast would be even better. The explanation as to why his car company failed, which, if I remember correctly, was partly due to the weather, would be an interesting addition to the review.

The car is still pretty to look at today and it had some interesting innovations about it. It was slow and didn't perform well, which is unacceptable for a sports car. For a brief period of time, he took the people of Belfast and gave them work, many of whom had never had a real well-paying job before.

The story itself is interesting. The car is interesting more for the fact that it was stainless steel and that it was in the movie Back to the Future. The factory in Belfast was interesting because of the challenges the workers overcame.

9-10 minute review done by James May would be nice to see.

Why go to Belfast? Why not get the Trio to do a run from Dallas to Houston in Texas? Especially when you consider that Deloreans are being restored in that state?
http://www.delorean.com/

Sure, put Jezza in a DeLorean, put James in a Citroen 2C (http://www.citroenimportservices.com/), and stick Hammond in a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and have them cross the American Southwest.

Why go to Belfast? Why not get the Trio to do a run from Dallas to Houston in Texas? Especially when you consider that Deloreans are being restored in that state?
http://www.delorean.com/

Sure, put Jezza in a DeLorean, put James in a Citroen 2C (http://www.citroenimportservices.com/), and stick Hammond in a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and have them cross the American Southwest.

Actually I rather like the idea but not as a TG piece. This is the kind of historical thing that JC does much better with his serious head on and would make for a great hour of television. He's a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher as well as being a petrolhead, and he could go to TX and look at the modern DeLoreans as well as investigate if they could have been successful if properly enigineered, powered etc.

After watching to much Top Gear during the spring break and watching some the epic films about machines of history such as the Aston Martin Vantage, the Lagonda, the Probe 16, and so many others like the E-type Jag and Maseratis, I could not help myself thinking why they have not yet done a DeLorean film.

I was fantasizing myself inside my head it would be great to make the film with a bit of taste and history and the depths of the development of the DMC 12 and the whole John DeLorean Scandal.
Think of it as "The Last King of Scotland" about John Delorean and the ups and downs of his professional and personal life. The guy was a rock star of the automotive industry "Living the Dream"

It seems to me weird that they haven't done it already. It think the guys and Andy just happened to forget about it.

I mean The DeLorean was British made by British hands and even the government got involved. It would be fantastic to make the DeLorean a proper tribute film just like the Lacia 7 Great Cars.
It was great in every way. Apart from the fact that it was Rubbish. (just like the Countach)

The propeller of GM...

hrdp_0909_12_z+pontiac_retrospective+john_deLorean.jpg

and and man behind the Pontiac GTO

delorean_pontiac.jpg

muscle-cars-history-the-pontiac-gto-5493_2.jpg

Maried to a beautiful supermodel

org_delorean.jpg
2057711202_f76de7cf74.jpg

Teamed with one of the most successful Italian designers and British racing companies

Giorgetto-Giugiaro-1-355x266.jpg
lotus-logo-20090102-250.jpg

Now owner of his sports car company

accsa.jpg

Of what it later become on the the greatest and cult worthy cars of all time

wm_delorean_interior_time_circuits1.96pkrfgx6hwkkcsww0cgs0ks8.bs5ta3qbusggw484oswskggs8.th.jpeg

wm_doc_brown_house_delorean_car_copy.4y4bnr86ka4o4cogo808804g8.bs5ta3qbusggw484oswskggs8.th.jpeg

What do you guys think?

You forgot to add:

... and became one of the biggest failures in automobile history with a car, that would be completely forgotten by now, if a Hollywood director wouldn't have had the idea of using it as a prop in one of his movies.

Belfast is pretty central to the story. The British government only got involved financially because DeLorean promised to bring jobs and prosperity to a city which, in the late seventies was in dire shape economically.

There's a bloke near me who has one. It is a very unprepossessing looking car by today's standards.

Must be a bugger to keep clean.

The guy was a crook, who made a whole government subsidy disappear (apparently in the direction of drug traffickers) and whose mismanagement/chicanery put hundreds of people out of work in Belfast - a city which, at that time, needed DeLorean like a hole in the head.

That is exactly right man. The guy at least on his head was brilliant, but in fact it was a complete disaster... And I feel sorry for all the workforce that at the end of the day just wanted to earn their honest living. That I think is why it could be worthy remember the audience and the world, what is that happens when an American with silly management ideas wants to make a sports car

Oooopss. Wrong Button!

Last edited:
Nah, shithouse car.

Admit it, if it wasn't for BTTF no one would really give a shit about it.
It looks like a doorstep and is about as quick as one.

DeLorean didn't actually get involved in drug trafficking. He got involved in a sting operation that stopped him, and this was because he was desperate to come up with some cash to save his failing car company.

I'd like to see them review a DMC-12 with some added background about DeLorean the man. To see it done in Belfast would be even better. The explanation as to why his car company failed, which, if I remember correctly, was partly due to the weather, would be an interesting addition to the review.

The car is still pretty to look at today and it had some interesting innovations about it. It was slow and didn't perform well, which is unacceptable for a sports car. For a brief period of time, he took the people of Belfast and gave them work, many of whom had never had a real well-paying job before.

The story itself is interesting. The car is interesting more for the fact that it was stainless steel and that it was in the movie Back to the Future. The factory in Belfast was interesting because of the challenges the workers overcame.

Actually I rather like the idea but not as a TG piece. This is the kind of historical thing that JC does much better with his serious head on and would make for a great hour of television. He's a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher as well as being a petrolhead, and he could go to TX and look at the modern DeLoreans as well as investigate if they could have been successful if properly enigineered, powered etc.

...and became one of the biggest failures in automobile history with a car, that would be completely forgotten by now, if a Hollywood director wouldn't have had the idea of using it as a prop in one of his movies.

Thank you guys. You got the point just right!

applause.gif

Last edited:
You forgot to add:

... and became one of the biggest failures in automobile history with a car, that would be completely forgotten by now, if a Hollywood director wouldn't have had the idea of using it as a prop in one of his movies.

It wouldn't have been in the movie at all if it wasn't
unique in being a production car with gullwing doors and a stainless steel body.
Has the size 4, bold bit been beaten into the ground yet?
Also, all you people who classify Alfa Romeos as cool by default and get pissy when anyone questions it: the DeLorean is just plain cool.

Nah, shithouse car.

Admit it, if it wasn't for BTTF no one would really give a shit about it.
It looks like a doorstep and is about as quick as one.

Nobody gives a damn about the Probe 15 too, and it got featured on Restoration Ripoff. We all enjoyed watching those clips about the history behind them. You are right man. Being Rubbish is exactly the point of it.

Also, all you people who classify Alfa Romeos as cool by default and get pissy when anyone questions it: the DeLorean is just plain cool.

Exactly. The DeLorean wasn't cool because it was on the movie (BTTF). It was on the movie because it was dead cool!

Last edited:
John DeLorean got the Irish and UK governments to give him hundreds of millions to produce a car in Ireland which is "The mecca for the performance motorist." To essentially rebody an Esprit in stainless steel, and made it woefully slow.

He deserves a statue in every town, for pulling it off. Think of him as a 70's Danny Ocean.

Furthermore the DMC-12 is fucking awesome.