The Ultimate macOS Thread

Have you tested the script?
Yeah, shut down fine when I ran it myself. Do I just compile and save then set Transmission to run it when downloads are complete?

I ask because when I run it manually, the Apple Scripter window pops up and I then have to press Run in the Scripter window to shut the PC down - it doesn't just run straight away.

Sorry - just got my first Mac a week ago so I know absolutely nothing about this stuf!

Basically you should simply tell Transmission to run the whole command i posted when all downloads have finished:
Code:
osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to shut down'

If copy and pasting this line into a Terminal gives you the desired result, doing the same into the transmission dialogue box will work, too.

You might have to find out the full unix path to osascript, though. In Terminal, simply type "whereis osascript".

Basically you should simply tell Transmission to run the whole command i posted when all downloads have finished:
Code:

If copy and pasting this line into a Terminal gives you the desired result, doing the same into the transmission dialogue box will work, too.

You might have to find out the full unix path to osascript, though. In Terminal, simply type "whereis osascript".
Transmission only has an option to run a script upon completion. Clicking it gives a dialog box whereupon I have to select a file to run.

I'm guessing this would be the equivalent of a .bat file in Windows.

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/Scripts - that's what the Transmission wiki has to say about scripts, I'm not sure if that's helpful?

Sorry for the bother mate and thank you so much!

EDIT - The path to osascript is /usr/bin/osascript

Last edited:
You can make a text file, and paste:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
then save it as autoshutdown, and from a terminal in the same folder it is in, type "chmod +x autoshutdown"

You should be able to choose the file from Transmission at that point.

You can make a text file, and paste:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
then save it as autoshutdown, and from a terminal in the same folder it is in, type "chmod +x autoshutdown"

You should be able to choose the file from Transmission at that point.
Cheers man, seems to be working fine now. I'll leave the downloads on tonight and see how it goes.

Thank you everyone!

I like how Apple hasn't updated their tutorials to match the updated Xcode menus.

I'm really not in love with Xcode 4, the UI is wrong and it is very, very slow... Slow enough to have me starting to think about replacing my MacBook which I thought I'd keep for another year...

Adium is annoying me, so thought I'd ask here.. Best MSN application for Mac? Supporting the Facebook chat would be nice as well.

The official MSN application sucks for Mac, it's the reason I switched to Adium - but lately it's just started being buggy and annoying. The facebook part doesn't work, I can't see who's online, only when people write to me. And if they do write to me, they don't receive my answers, so I have to log on to facebook.com anyway.

Adium is annoying me, so thought I'd ask here.. Best MSN application for Mac? Supporting the Facebook chat would be nice as well.

The official MSN application sucks for Mac, it's the reason I switched to Adium - but lately it's just started being buggy and annoying. The facebook part doesn't work, I can't see who's online, only when people write to me. And if they do write to me, they don't receive my answers, so I have to log on to facebook.com anyway.

Adium. See if there's a beta available that fixes your issues.

Try Trillian on the App Store, if it's as good as the Windows version then it should be a winner.

I 2nd Trillian. It's quite good. The MSN messenger for mac app indeed blew chunks when I was using it on my hackintosh build. The latest one looks a lot better...haven't tried it since im currently Windows/Linux only.

Speaking of app stores, are any of you guys finding that you're using the App Store more than going to individual company websites to get software? Just curious. :)

I haven't used the App Store much to be honest. I mostly go to it when I need a software that I knew and need right now, and they redirect me to it :-D

Facebook chat is just Jabber, so any IM client that supports Jabber/XMPP will work. I'm happy with iChat so that's what I use (for Facebook chat).

I use aMSN which I think was originally made for linux. It is the only MSN program I have used that actually keeps all the MSN features.

I'm probably crazy but i'm thinking about hackintoshing my main computer so i can hackintosh my netbook....i must be masochistic. :/

I use aMSN which I think was originally made for linux. It is the only MSN program I have used that actually keeps all the MSN features.

aMSN is a major PITA. I use it for the about five times a year i actually want to use voice/video chat by msn, but it's just not useable on a day-to-day level...

I'm probably crazy but i'm thinking about hackintoshing my main computer so i can hackintosh my netbook....i must be masochistic. :/

Have you read my Hackintosh saga in this thread? It ended here.

In other words: Don't. Do. It.

Last edited:
I find it fine for everyday use :shrug:
Also I like custom smileys and none of the other ones do custom smileys (mercury technically does but you have a 50/50 chance they will glitch out for no reason)

I find it fine for everyday use :shrug:
Also I like custom smileys and none of the other ones do custom smileys (mercury technically does but you have a 50/50 chance they will glitch out for no reason)

Window switching using Apple Key+< does not work. Kills it for me.