Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

CEL came on in the Legacy the other day, read the code myself, it was a "Catalytic system performance below threshold." Took it to the dealer today, they decided to order a new catalytic converter for it.

They never mentioned that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. My only option now is to present them with this EPA document that states under law the cat should be covered up to 8 years/80,000 miles: EPA link

If that doesn't work, I'm screwed and out $700. Hooray catalytic converters failing at 45,000 miles!

Hmmm, that law is interesting. My cat failed at 30k miles, but it was covered under warranty. If you're still under factory warranty why the hell wouldn't it be?

The car has passed its factory warranty. I have Subaru's extended warranty but it specifically says the catalytic converter is not covered. So technically the dealer hasn't done anything wrong, except recognize that law.

Subaru corporate headquarters is only 5 minutes from the dealer too ;)

Last edited:
Wow, some of the people in the comments section are nuts, but that's comments sections for you..

It very rewarding to use my new Fuck You Horn Array on a dipshit in an old Sentra when he's trying to cut to the front of the line. He decided the best place to stop and hold up the lane was right under an overpass. Boy, I thought the horn was loud before, but in that steel and concrete echo chamber.... holy mother of god!

I was surprised to see one of these driving past me the other day:

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/ph/phoenixsac/2011/04/02/image02.jpg

A 1979-81 Chrysler New Yorker.

Only 74,000 New Yorkers were built over the three year period. And considering that Chrysler build quality at the time was atrocious, I would imagine less than half of that amount are still on the road. Put it this way: I haven't seen one of those since at least 1989.

Today I managed to fit an entire F-150 Raptor in my blind spot. I thankfully did not hit it.

If I ever get 2 late '80s Firebirds I'm so making one of then a KARR replica.

In early March 2008 MotorAuthority reported that, due to the increasing gap between the American Dollar and the Euro, the Scirocco would not be made available for American Consumers. "This car would fit the U.S. market but at the current exchange rate we wouldn't make any money." Volkswagen sales and marketing chief Detlef Wittig told Bloomberg reporters.

So, that means they like to screw EU customers on prices more, right? Just like everyone else in this world.

Last edited:
Some day I'll be able to work on my car without drawing blood. Until then, ow.

In that case, the brake caliper and oil pain are mine, no question about it. Spyder bites hurt.

When I stop feeling terrible, I'll just be waiting for the 919 to draw blood. All my other vehicles have already. In fact, there's a scar on the back of my head from various Series III hood pins/latches hitting me there over the years. :p

It's just part of working on them. If you wear gloves, they'll somehow still figure out a way to draw blood.

Last edited: