The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I also helped Tiff get her oil changed and her chain cleaned and lubed.

Quagmire-Giggity.gif

CFsLsZ-M3v3KyN0Omrr1ypsvlz775eTCWPvf5O_k-mMm7ZbTCl1OEVMXJNEzkm9NHGXF4zSSDa27lTcu_Gpkft9B3z-rpx8IVONjP1zZV8ROacrxhOfXTocLTKwcJ5RF9ANACyDaYt3rZY4NAhEGflAj60MEKmZNS2auWdiLX6jCH4yA2nLAn8gqwkcX

Hey, I changed my own oil! I just had some guidance ... which included "turn it the other way" and "no no, not there ... the other screw!" :p I'm still learning.

In other news, half naked bikes are awesome to work on! Who needs a bikini fairing? :D

Last edited:
You hardly needed any help at all, you did all the work yourself and knew pretty much everything you had to do. The only bit I helped you remember was to lube the o-ring on the filter, and that's only because I forgot to grease the o-ring on my coolant pump cover before I installed it. We all forget stuff like that from time to time.

Next time I'm going to hand you the tools and turn you loose on it while I go work on other stuff. You don't need me looking over your shoulder any more.

"Kiki just earned the Mechanical Prowess Badge" :p

:lol: Yeah right, well, if I can work my way on disassembling the bike completely and putting it back together, I'll be happy and ready for that ride up to Alaska. This is sad that I only know how to take apart fairings, bleed the brakes, and change the oil. Bare basics here. <_<

By the way, still thinking of what would be the best bike for this bucket list trip. I've been drooling over the DRZs for a while - my friend rode up there on one, and she seemed to have a good time of it, and it's about a $100 bucks to buy 3 parts to lower a DRZ 400 SM. Yeah, I have the opposite problem to CJ and Blind, I need to find bikes that are light and easy enough for me to tripod or easy enough to lower. :)

You should get that DRZ and I could get a Hypermotard. With those levels of collected hooliganism we could tear this town a new one.

Fired up the Yamaha for the first time this year. I now have TWO project bikes. Awesome. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Fired up the Yamaha for the first time this year. I now have TWO project bikes. Awesome. :rolleyes:

Bummer. What all is wrong with it?

Projects are only fun IMO when you have another bike to ride. It has been just over a week since I last rode and I'm getting withdrawals.

RULE #1: Don't joke about car or motorcycle crashes on April Fool's, because that shit will happen.

Projects are only fun IMO when you have another bike to ride. It has been just over a week since I last rode and I'm getting withdrawals.

First of all, that's a fact. It's starting to seem that my 30-year old Honda that I cobbled together is going to be more reliable than the 14-year old Yamaha assembled by professionals.

Took forever to start, then ran rough as hell. I let it idle for a while to hopefully clear out some of the bad gas that's been sitting in there, but it sounds like I may need to check the compression and plugs and see if I have a vacuum leak. Also, fix the speedo and figure out what's causing this minor crankcase leak. And bleed the brakes, and probably change the oil...

And the Honda's got some stuff I gotta take care of too, mainly rebuilding the gauges.

First of all, that's a fact. It's starting to seem that my 30-year old Honda that I cobbled together is going to be more reliable than the 14-year old Yamaha assembled by professionals.

Took forever to start, then ran rough as hell. I let it idle for a while to hopefully clear out some of the bad gas that's been sitting in there, but it sounds like I may need to check the compression and plugs and see if I have a vacuum leak. Also, fix the speedo and figure out what's causing this minor crankcase leak. And bleed the brakes, and probably change the oil...

And the Honda's got some stuff I gotta take care of too, mainly rebuilding the gauges.

Did you remember to store the Yamaha properly before putting it away and leaving it to itself? It doesn't sound like you did... which means that your carbs are probably gummed up with ethanol residues. Try Seafoaming it for a few tanks.

Also, yes, Honda > Yamaha. :D

Last edited:

I second putting seafoam in the gas. Half a can to a full tank should do nicely. It did wonders for the carbs on my Nighthawk. That said though, you should just finish the last few things with the CB550 and ride it. :D

Well, hopefully the Goldwing comes together quick and soon. I'm not sure how it is in TX right now, but here in the mountains it's spring skiing and spring riding still. They moved the first trackday of the year back two weeks due to inclement weather.

:comfort: Gummy carbs are not fun.

Well, hopefully the Goldwing comes together quick and soon. I'm not sure how it is in TX right now, but here in the mountains it's spring skiing and spring riding still. They moved the first trackday of the year back two weeks due to inclement weather.
There's a beautiful field of bluebonnets inside one of the corners on the track. Must... watch... track... not... bluebonnets...

:shakefist:

*sniff* I miss Bay Area riding now.

There's a beautiful field of bluebonnets inside one of the corners on the track. Must... watch... track... not... bluebonnets...

Ooh, pretty. Hey, you guys get flowers on your track? Darn, ours is just dirt, dust, and more dust. Though it makes it really easy to spot an off in one of the corners - just look for the Tazmanian devil cloud.

Yeah. Eric's intentionally careful about where he mows to preserve the wildflowers. This is in part because they don't grow tall and dry, like the grass (less fire-y), but mostly because Eric likes wildflowers. We get few runoffs in this area, so the plants survive.

Normally, the path of trodden-down grass makes the offs easy to spot, but one of our Miata members went off on a very wet day. He's one of those people who almost never goes off, and he went through tall grass (taller than a Miata). It had been wet long enough for the grass to spring back up. Thankfully, only he and one other person were on track at the time, and the other person noticed he disappeared and came in. The other member couldn't tell where the Miata guy had gone off, but by the time we got down there with the Audi, he was on foot and showing us the way. The car was nearly invisible from the track.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shad/2011/04/07/DSC01121.jpg

More wasted money useless toys gear for me. :D

Basically my (belated) birthday present, and I got it for 30? off. :)