Thinking of moving to another country - to study

I doubt the gov't gives loans to international students. As far as I know, to qualify for Ontario Student Assistance Program, you need to be either a resident or a citizen. Also, the fees for international students at any school in Toronto, U of T included are STEEP. Most of the time they're around double the ones for residents/citizens.

Maybe, I haven't done much research pertaining to international students. I'll look into it if I have some time later.

I highly doubt scholarship to international student are given easily. Unless you have superior elite academic results or a particular talent (miming doesn't count!), all they want to do is milk you.

If you were interested in Australia, Melbourne has the largest amount of uni's by far - Monash would probably be my pick for engineering but in reality all of the top tier universities are much of a muchness here

For God sake do not come here you will get a degree in media studies, (every university in the land seem to have given up teaching proper courses now) and never ever find a job that uses it!

Looking further into the matter, Canada will indeed not give student loans to international students, unless you obtain landed immigrant/permanent resident status. As for UofT, international students are indeed charged a lot more (Although if you manage to get permanent resident status, you should be able to apply as a domestic student, but you can't obtain such a status until you are physically present in Canada, so it's quite risky). Tuition for Mechanical Engineering is around $10,000 for a domestic student, and a whopping $26,000 for international students. But from what I've gathered, most of the same scholarship opportunities are available for both domestic and international students. Tuition fees at the University of Waterloo are pretty much the same ($10,000 domestic, $26,000 international), but they also have some good scholarships, included an entrance scholarship for international students which covers up to $10,000 of tuition. However, the requirements are pretty stringent for such scholarships (90% or higher academic average for that scholarship I just mentioned, among other requirements).

Some universities, including McGill University in Canada (Which is said to be quite good as well), are able to provide exemptions for international students which allow them to apply as domestic students. But even if you aren't exempt, McGill does have lower tuition fees than UofT and Waterloo, with an international student tuition of roughly $21,000, and the usual array of bursaries/scholarships.

If you want to come out west (the nice part of Canada :p) there is UBC. They have a pretty top notch engineering program from my understanding.

Yeah. Those are the realities of being an international student. Consider your funds first. Get the total price of tuition fees + total accomodation costs and another 10-20k, and that should be just about right for your total 4 years of study.

If you want to try Texas, the University of Texas at Dallas has an excellent engineering school and a large international student population. The engineering school started as a place or Texas Instruments to get home grown engineers but has grown much beyond that scope. http://www.utdallas.edu/

UT Arlington is probably more recognized and also has a very large international student group (including a considerable number of Pakistani's IIRC). Arlington sucks, but the school is actually pretty nice. Also, UT Austin is a nice school, but a little more expensive. Ask airmenair as he has (or is about to have) a graduate degree from UT Arlington.

Last edited:
For God sake do not come here you will get a degree in media studies, (every university in the land seem to have given up teaching proper courses now) and never ever find a job that uses it!

Lol

Looking further into the matter, Canada will indeed not give student loans to international students, unless you obtain landed immigrant/permanent resident status. As for UofT, international students are indeed charged a lot more (Although if you manage to get permanent resident status, you should be able to apply as a domestic student, but you can't obtain such a status until you are physically present in Canada, so it's quite risky). Tuition for Mechanical Engineering is around $10,000 for a domestic student, and a whopping $26,000 for international students. But from what I've gathered, most of the same scholarship opportunities are available for both domestic and international students. Tuition fees at the University of Waterloo are pretty much the same ($10,000 domestic, $26,000 international), but they also have some good scholarships, included an entrance scholarship for international students which covers up to $10,000 of tuition. However, the requirements are pretty stringent for such scholarships (90% or higher academic average for that scholarship I just mentioned, among other requirements).

Some universities, including McGill University in Canada (Which is said to be quite good as well), are able to provide exemptions for international students which allow them to apply as domestic students. But even if you aren't exempt, McGill does have lower tuition fees than UofT and Waterloo, with an international student tuition of roughly $21,000, and the usual array of bursaries/scholarships.

Thanks mate - I have been researching on the financial aid thing, it is quite confusing for me right but its looking like a negative for international students for the most part.

If you want to come out west (the nice part of Canada :p) there is UBC. They have a pretty top notch engineering program from my understanding.

Thank you JipJop - reading on those. :p

Yeah. Those are the realities of being an international student. Consider your funds first. Get the total price of tuition fees + total accomodation costs and another 10-20k, and that should be just about right for your total 4 years of study.

True.

UT Arlington is probably more recognized and also has a very large international student group (including a considerable number of Pakistani's IIRC). Arlington sucks, but the school is actually pretty nice. Also, UT Austin is a nice school, but a little more expensive. Ask airmenair as he has (or is about to have) a graduate degree from UT Arlington.

Thanks Eunos - Checked UTA - looks affordable as well for international students. As opposed to UBC which is about 35000/year!

I'm really thankful to all of you.
Please keep the suggestions / ideas coming..

Iceland.

Reykjavik Uni. and University of Iceland.

It's expensive to live here though. It's the down side, apart from that its great. Cold in the winter .... and summer for you.

The top engineering uni. in Denmark is the Technical University of Denmark - DTU

I think they have a pretty good mech. eng. program.

In general the educational programs here are more focused around team-work and group projects than many other places - Depending on your preferences this could be a plus or a minus.

A quick search says about ? 13.500,00/ $ 18.500,00 USD per year. I have no idea how that compares to other places - Here the state pays for your education. We even get a monthly allowance for studying...

On a car-related note Denmark is not the place to go for cheap cars.

Oh, and the weather pretty much sucks from october till may

For God sake do not come here you will get a degree in media studies

You know why? Because the humanities courses are full of women. The science and engineering ones... aren't. Out of > 100 students on my course, there were < 10 females of the species.

University of Waterloo is also said to be a very good engineering school, although maybe not as well recognized as UofT. And just like UofT, they've got a pretty good Formula SAE team.

Well apparently their FSAE team just got suspended for a certain "photoshoot". At least that's what is says on their site.

I figured i cud give u a suggestion since i am an international student studying mechanical engineering in Canada.

Have u tried checking out Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, ON? They are a decent school and have a pretty gd FSAE team. Plus u get to immerse urself in a totally different culture since you'd probably be the only international student in ur class juz like me.

Tbay is a small town but it'll help when exams or midterms come around. Less distractions mean more time to study and i s'pose u know that engineering does take up alot of time and energy. But i gotta admit tat the place does get kinda boring sometimes, especially if ur from a big city. But Minneapolis is only 6 and a half hours drive away and Toronto is like a days drive from Tbay.