Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Are you paying attention to what you are saying? Yes, I said the mini doesn't do anything for me that any other car that size. That is probably wrong because toyota makes cars that size and they are clearly less desirable. You however said that if I think any car that size is as fun as a mini I am wrong and can't drive indicating you think the mini is the best car of that class as well.
Ok, forgive my English that's not what I meant. I meant to say "if you think every car that size is as fun as mini..."
Like I said there are few cars that size which may be as much fun but there are very few of them (like the Renaults).
I don't love the new mini. I generally don't like FWD cars and that's the main reason I don't have it anymore. I don't like the hairdresser image either. The newest body style isn't as good looking as the first new mini in my books.
But the mini was just damn much fun to drive and I think the decision to trade it for an E46 330Ci wasn't a very good one. The 330Ci is nowhere near as fun as the less powerful mini. In a way the mini was even more fun than my current much more powerful cars.

Last edited:
My left front tire decided today was a good day to die and just started deteriorating as the day went on. It got to the point where there was a noticeable wobble as I drove along and once steel belts started showing through the dry-rotted treads I decided it was time to put the spare on. The other tires all look fine and they're just as old. :dunno: Looks like I'm going tire shopping tomorrow.

The Vanagon sold in the US was not a good car. I had a friend who bought one because it was a dream of his. He said after 2 months that he could barely drive it because it was in the shop all the time. Now they bought a Yukon and they haven't looked back.

kat: Civic Si, A4, G35x, S60(R), C30 , Focus, Rouge (or whatever that Nissan is called)?
Can't think of anything else right now.

Last edited:
kat: Civic Si, A4, G35x, S60(R), Focus, Rouge (or whatever that Nissan is called)?

Only if she is crazy. The fancy 4C suspension fails around 100k miles and it costs $4000 to replace. Also around that time, the AWD goes to hell and that's another $3000.

With that said, I'm still buying one.

Kat, I have given this some carefull consideration and I have concluded that what you need is this :

163_0501_readersride_07z+2001_ford_f_250_pickup+right_brandi.jpg

I would recommend the G35x and Rogue mentioned above. Rogue just may still be a little overpriced and needs to depriciate more. A good G35x could be found for under $10k now.

We already had the 80mph speed limit in existence on I-10, and the 85mph limit was actually on the books as allowable for toll roads like the now defunct Trans Texas Corridor project.

Besides, it just reflects reality. On my last trip back from Houston without the Crown Vic (which makes everyone do the speed limit for some reason... :rolleyes:), I was doing 80 on I-45 and was still getting passed.

Last edited:
Kat, I have given this some carefull consideration and I have concluded that what you need is this :

163_0501_readersride_07z+2001_ford_f_250_pickup+right_brandi.jpg
Maybe if I was having multiple cars, and I would probably just buy a raptor instead. :p

I would recommend the G35x and Rogue mentioned above. Rogue just may still be a little overpriced and needs to depriciate more. A good G35x could be found for under $10k now.

My uncle has a G35s and it is quite nice, however it has been pointed out clearly how frightening the insurance on happy fast things will be for a 21 year old :(
No mustangs or anything for me. BOO.
I test drove a fiesta today in both manual and automatic. It was quite fun and has a lot of the little charming things I like about my bug. Can you supercharge a fiesta?

My uncle has a G35s and it is quite nice, however it has been pointed out clearly how frightening the insurance on happy fast things will be for a 21 year old :(
I test drove a fiesta today in both manual and automatic. It was quite fun and has a lot of the little charming things I like about my bug. Can you supercharge a fiesta?

Check again on the Mustang V6. The primary market for those is girls between the age of 16 and 25. Not kidding - Ford works hard to try to keep the insurance rates down on those.

You can supercharge anything, but insurance rates go up if you tell them about it (and in many cases, you have to).

Why bother? It already produces more than enough horsepower to be fun, hell the V6 puts out more than the last generation GT.

Why bother? It already produces more than enough horsepower to be fun, hell the V6 puts out more than the last generation GT.

I see she edited it; she initially had the post inquiring as to whether you could supercharge the Fiesta.

Check again on the Mustang V6. The primary market for those is girls between the age of 16 and 25. Not kidding - Ford works hard to try to keep the insurance rates down on those.

You can supercharge anything, but insurance rates go up if you tell them about it (and in many cases, you have to).
Well the SALESMAN actually told me it would be incredibly expensive, and I don't see why a salesman would want to not sell the more expensive car, so that is odd. :blink:
I see she edited it; she initially had the post inquiring as to whether you could supercharge the Fiesta.
No I just made it white text, so you saw it because you were replying and blind didn't. :p

The fiesta is really nice, I just wish it was slightly faster.

Well the SALESMAN actually told me it would be incredibly expensive, and I don't see why a salesman would want to not sell the more expensive car, so that is odd. :blink:

One reason is because they can make more off a different model due to different sales promotions. Call your insurance company and get a quote, don't take the salesdrone's word for anything.

Might not be too bad, look into the G35x (is the AWD sedan), should be a '04-'07 model so is a little older and could save in money for insurance. I'm not too sure how high young driver insurance would be on it, only time I've had a G35 is at older age and multi-car/house discounts on the insurance. But I am paying about $1200/yr for full coverage on mine, and its a 2-door.

Texas House approves nation's fastest speed limit at 85 mph
Isn't that a false statements since some roads in the midwest don't have speed limits during daylight hours? Or has that changed?

Isn't that a false statements since some roads in the midwest don't have speed limits during daylight hours? Or has that changed?

They all have speed limits now for legal and funding reasons.

Getting bored of the Mitsu Superlaggera (ie. Bedless) now. Who says the bed doesn't add quite a bit of weight?

Might not be too bad, look into the G35x (is the AWD sedan), should be a '04-'07 model so is a little older and could save in money for insurance. I'm not too sure how high young driver insurance would be on it, only time I've had a G35 is at older age and multi-car/house discounts on the insurance. But I am paying about $1200/yr for full coverage on mine, and its a 2-door.

They all have speed limits now for legal and funding reasons.

That was Montana - not exactly the midwest there... Montana used to have a 'reasonable and prudent' daytime speed limit, but it got shot down for two reasons:
1) 'Reasonable and prudent' is a subjective limit and therefore not legally permissible under the US legal system (annoying, but okay) and,
2) The Federal Government, at the same time, told Montana that if they didn't post and enforce a speed limit (mostly for eco reasons) they wouldn't get any money to maintain the highways.

So now Montana has speed limits in line with Federal guidelines - but now instead of a speeding ticket on their highways, you get a "failure to conserve energy/natural resources" ticket, which is cheap ($5-15, IIRC) and doesn't go on your record.

Here is a question. My car has a trade in value of maybe like 2k because of a major accident body damage and convertible top.
How would one part out the car?

Here is a question. My car has a trade in value of maybe like 2k because of a major accident body damage and convertible top.
How would one part out the car?

Put it in a garage on jackstands, and either post a CL ad indicating that it was being parted out and that the prospective customer has to pull their own parts or just start taking it apart and list parts on eBay/CL.

That said, you can also likely sell it as a car for more than the trade in value. Trade in value is almost invariably lower than what you can get for it in private party sale.

---

While we're on the subject of Texas speed limits... We already have these:
800px-Texas_80_mph_speed_limit_unveiling.JPG

800px-IMG_3389_80mph_i20_9_mi_w_of_pecos_2007-01-11.jpg

Last edited: