Legacy GT-B

I guess there are 2 ways of looking at it. I should go with the more positive of the two.

Damn those online auctions are dangerous! I've bid on some Focal (French) and AVI (Canadian) component speakers and seriously considered some relatively obscure Japanese components with crazy specs in the last few hours. Kicking myself over the Focals, I would have bought them at the "buy now" price but got caught up in the auction excitement so missed out on them.

Ended up impulse bidding on some Alpines and won them but I don't know if the in-line crossovers are included so will have to wait to find out. And I'm still having to stop myself from bidding on the AVI's just to see what they would go for!

I don't see why he's be jealous, his car is newer with a fresher engine! And that would be a single turbo, right? The valley of death (dead spot between the turbos) is a bit annoying when accelerating from low in the rev range, it's even got me thinking sequential controller.

That's true, but you've got the nicer LEGACY rear lights. I'm gonna have to show him this thread, though. He'll really dig it. Such a clean looking car, too. Enjoy it, and hopefully it gets repaired good-as-new.

Looks like a nice ride you've got there.

I've always wanted to drive a fast subaru.

So we took the car to Subaru for repairs.

Get a call from the insurance company one evening, the quote was $3,500 (for some paint that would mostly buff off and a fingernail-sized dent) and the market value of the car is $1,800 so they offered to write the car off for $1,800 instead of repairing it but the wife didn't quite understand the offer and said we'd like it repaired.

I start planning the mods I'm going to make with the $1,800 - sequential controller, turbo timer, brake upgrade etc...

The wife calls back the next morning only to be told that they've started the repairs (they must have started before the insurance company called us).

Normally we wouldn't have even been given the choice but the company of the guy who hit us has paid for an option that allows repairs to be made even when they exceed market value.

<ffffuuuu.... meme>

Seriously, look at that pic I posted. In which other country in the world would that possibly be a write-off?!

Oh, and they've supplied us with a rental which will probably run about $1,500-2,000 for the 2-3weeks so the whole thing is costing them over $5,000!

In other news, Ive been running rampant on the net auctions and bought some new component speakers for the front doors, deadening for the door panels (although I'm torn on that one cos it'll add a few kg's) and a monitor for the rug-rat so she can watch movies in the back - the HU plays DVDs and has a video out... hope I can figure out how to remove it and access the rear.

Last edited:
this car will be ill. you know, this insurance stuff could only happen in Japan. maybe it's an honor thing. BTW, is there a seppuku clause for when someone fucks up big time and can only repay with his honor?

BTW, is there a seppuku clause for when someone fucks up big time and can only repay with his honor?

Most accidents I end up feeling bad for the person who caused the crash... this driver was an old guy and he called my wife to apologise and say he was quitting his job because he's mad some mistakes but not to worry, his company would fix everything. :(

Almost.

Get rid of the twin turbos they are a nightmare when you start moding (if that is the way you are going)

Awesome ride. Bet there are some of us locals who would jump at the chance of an $1800 GT-B

I have a feeling a single turbo conversion would cost me more than I paid for the car itself.

Will see if I can get a sequential controller, they sell for about $100-300 used plus maybe $50-100 to get it installed. From what little I've read they do a good job of getting rid of the VOD.

Apart from that, maybe exhaust, filter, turbo timer, earthing kit... all small stuff.

OK, so I bought a pair of these used for the front...

SRT1680HX-AZ_01.jpg

Had to modify (read: hack) the tweeter mounts to get the tweeters to fit in the stock location.

And put the Kenwood mids in the back and replaced the rear tweeters with some Kenwood tweeters (didn't even realise there were tweeters in the back until I'd finished everything else!), removed the brackets that held the stock tweeters so the new ones would fit...

tweeter.jpg

...and deadened the doors...

reardoordead.jpg

frontdoordead.jpg

...mounted the crossovers in the door pockets...

crossover.jpg

Sounds much better now and the deadening makes a big difference.

Took a couple of pics today...

Legacy_001.jpg

Legacy_002.jpg

Legacy_003.jpg

It really needs a wash inside and out, so hard to keep this black clean.

Will definitely be getting a sequential controller soon.

Man, the fuel economy. :cry: I got about 400km from a 50L tank driving sedately, decided to not worry so much and drove a little more spirited and got about 300km, which is about 15mpg US or 17 UK! Hate to think what I'd get on a track day. :|

I love the pictures! Looks so... japanish for some reason. Maybe it's the details, number plate, flowers, how the street looks like. I don't know, but they look really nice!

I'd love to fix my doors up like that. road noise is terrible.

And now I've gone and put a louder exhaust on it, what a waste!

One the rear doors I covered most holes as best I could with some wood siliconed in but on the front doors there were 2 big holes that were impossible to cover easily so I just did the big one at the bottom, that means the rear door is better sealed. I believe the kind of deadening I used was more to improve bass and prevent rattles but it also reduces road noise somewhat. The foam that can be used with this stuff is primarily to absorb road noise but I didn't bother with it.

You might be able to just use the foam, perhaps even behind the door cards if you only want to reduce road noise, I don't know much about it.

I love the pictures! Looks so... japanish for some reason. Maybe it's the details, number plate, flowers, how the street looks like. I don't know, but they look really nice!

Thanks. Most Japanese streets aren't very pretty, I just came across that one by chance and jumped out to snap a couple.

Here's the new exhaust vs the stock, quick and nasty vid, might do a better one later...

So sometime in the past the battery has leaked and wreaked havoc in the engine bay. I didn't realise how much until just recently, guess I should have looked closer when I inspected. Might swap this battery just in case it's this one even though it's still in good condition.

This is what it looked like under the battery.

batteryarea.jpg

So I cleaned it up a bit...

batteryunderbefore.jpg

And sprayed it with some rustoleum, hopefully to slow the rot...

batteryunderafter.jpg

Then I was planning on changing the terminals and putting on a DIY grounding kit but I couldn't loosen the bolt on the pos terminal and had left my 5.56 in the apartment so I just did the grounding kit and will have to do the terminals on the weekend.

grounding1.jpg

grounding3.jpg

Last edited:
your engine bay... it's so.... clean.

You should have seen the RS I was considering, this one is nasty compared to that!

So I redid the earthing kit, added more points, used different points, changed the eyelets, soldered and shrink-wrapped.

earthingfinal.jpg

earthingfinal1.jpg

Got a Prova ECU - these cars can't be mapped so some tuning companies released remapped ECU's that were basically a light tune for cat-back exhaust and intake.

ECU2.jpg

And today got my bonnet dampers.

bonnetdampers1.jpg

bonnetdampers2.jpg

Next I need to do something about that ratty insulation under the bonnet. Oh, and maybe take a proof pic.

Yeah, the hood struts are really popular here in the States. Car looks so nice and clean, man.

How did I know, Branden, that you'd gravitate toward this thread?

Very nice. If I ever buy a Japanese car again it will probably be a Subaru.