Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Even not trade in value is going to be horrible with that accident on it. I just don't want it crushed. I have said this a lot but it's the same as with an alfa. I KNOW it's a bad car but I love the damn thing and I am going to miss it. Even if the lights are always shorting out, the CEL is always on and the windows fall in it's been GOOD to me. It's never not started or broken down. It's always gotten me through crappy situations and probably at least saved me a few broken bones in that crash. At least if I parted it out I could pull out the seats and make chairs and stuff so it would always be with me.

I have to agree on the trade-in value. When I bought my car, the dealer offered me $100 for the Sebring. He basically didn't even want to bother. I got $2k from a private seller and that was after only one day advertised, I probably could have gotten more. So it's at least worth a shot to sell privately. If you can't get what you want for it, use parting out as a backup plan.

I want it not crushed more than I want the money at this point. I feel dirty to begin with for even selling it at all. :(

Pull the parts you want off of it and then put it on a local car forum, craiglist, ebay, etc to sell "as is". Someone will buy it for the value of the parts.

Either that or you take it apart yourself or offer people to come over to pull the pieces.

You will get more money from parting it out usually, but is more hassle.

NEW PLAN
Car is now project car. Now it is allowed to be broken and existing for sentimental reasons. Excuse me I must go clean out garage and learn how to fix it. WHY YES, I AM REALLY THIS RETARDED

Wait, you're making the bug a project car?

Do you have any experience working with complex modern electrical systems, computers, engines and transmissions?

More importantly, do you have another car you can use as a driver/parts shuttle? :p

More importantly, it's a modern bug.

Sell it, buy a classic bug to work on as a project.

I agree. A classic bug is a much better starter project car, it's simple and easy to work on and there is lots of aftermarket and community support.

Wait, you're making the bug a project car?

Do you have any experience working with complex modern electrical systems, computers, engines and transmissions?
No see my invisible text saying I am retarded.
Step one will be removing everything electric that is not necessary for making it go as it breaks. Top motor? Fuck that, I am not replacing it. I need the exercise. Transmission? That is crap. I am obviously having a money pit. I will replace it with something less complicated and stupid. Windows? I don't need widows. Fuck windows. I am a polar bear. NEW BEETLE IS NOW OLD BEETLE.

More importantly, do you have another car you can use as a driver/parts shuttle? :p
That is when I buy the fiesta.

I am having some mental break down from girl hormones and stupid car attachment.

More importantly, it's a modern bug.

Sell it, buy a classic bug to work on as a project.

I can't sell it I am insane and emotionally attached and STUPID obviously. I would feel like I was taking the dog to the vet to be put down, and you know what? The bug is less of an asshole then the dog is being.

Last edited:
There is always a Porsche engine swap option. But to try to do that would qualify for being committed.

There is always a Porsche engine swap option. But to try to do that would qualify for being committed.

SOUNDS GREAT. Can't make me go until I am a danger to myself and others! \o/

I think that you can get some seriously strong bolt-in air-cooled motors for the classic Bug. I don't think they're that expensive either since the motors are so simple. I've seen a complete engine swap done by three guys in less than two hours - without a hoist.

The bug motor is held in with 3 bolts.

I'm not a huge fan of Bugs, but I would have one just because of how simple they are. That, to me, is awsome.

No see my invisible text saying I am retarded.
Step one will be removing everything electric that is not necessary for making it go as it breaks. Top motor? Fuck that, I am not replacing it. I need the exercise. Transmission? That is crap. I am obviously having a money pit. I will replace it with something less complicated and stupid. Windows? I don't need widows. Fuck windows. I am a polar bear. NEW BEETLE IS NOW OLD BEETLE.

That is when I buy the fiesta.

I am having some mental break down from girl hormones and stupid car attachment.

I can't sell it I am insane and emotionally attached and STUPID obviously. I would feel like I was taking the dog to the vet to be put down, and you know what? The bug is less of an asshole then the dog is being.

Sorry, but you need to get over it. You will never get far with it as a project car, you will remove somethings and it will stay in the garage for years (as a criag's list addict I see this all the time). Either sell it or have it sit in your garage taking up space forever.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you need to get over it. You will never get far with it as a project car, you will remove somethings and it will stay in the garage for years (as a criag's list addict I see this all the time). Either sell it or have it sit in your garage taking up space forever.

I'm pretty sure she just intends to shove in the garage until she can afford to pay a man to fix/modify it! :lol:

I'd never try and dismantle something as complicated as a New Beetle, I'm happy to mess about with BL tat and 1960/70s cars but I can't understand modern cars at all. Too much stuff in too small a space, and blatantly designed to prevent home maintenance and drive you back to the dealer for servicing.

I'm pretty sure she just intends to shove in the garage until she can afford to pay a man to fix/modify it! :lol:

I'd never try and dismantle something as complicated as a New Beetle, I'm happy to mess about with BL tat and 1960/70s cars but I can't understand modern cars at all. Too much stuff in too small a space, and blatantly designed to prevent home maintenance and drive you back to the dealer for servicing.

Even my regular mechanic won't touch a New Beetle. My family has been taking cars to him for over 15 years and even with that history he wouldn't take Kiki's bug into the shop. My friend with a used car lot won't buy them and tries to avoid taking them in trade whenever possible.

Here is a question. My car has a trade in value of maybe like 2k because of a major accident body damage and convertible top.
How would one part out the car?

It's more than what my car's worth...I'll be clicking my heels and dancing like a leprechaun if I get 800 back for it. (which is what i paid for it 4 years ago)

I don't want to derail this discussion; it's too great. You could always try ridding yourself of the affection in the way I did. My 1990 Dodge Shadow was my first new car. I liked that thing simply for that reason. I didn't want to get rid of it despite the fact that it seemed to have a brake problem that never would go away. My emotional attachment ended the moment that a truck side-swiped it and did damage beyond the value of the car. You can always try that.

That being said, I'm currently on a business trip somewhere that's sunny and warm (and why I'm going back to Chicago tomorrow is beyond me). So I've got a rental car. Here were my choices (please note: I work for a cheap company, so getting a rental beyond my particular needs would be quite frowned upon): Hyundai Elantra, Kia Optima, Dodge Caliber, and a Smart City Car. Yeah, I got the Elantra. First my Kia Rio experience and now this...I have got to stop using Enterprise. To think that this was the same company that let me rent a Mustang for two weeks for the price of a compact...